Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, I saw Pat Goss on Motorweek talk about a thin clear film from 3M that is applied to the paint in order to protect it. I've been considering getting this done on my SSR (since it's new and I'd like to keep it looking that way). Anyone out there do this? Success stories or horror stories and what's it going to cost (should the consensus be positive)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
ssr71 said:
A few years ago, I saw Pat Goss on Motorweek talk about a thin clear film from 3M that is applied to the paint in order to protect it. I've been considering getting this done on my SSR (since it's new and I'd like to keep it looking that way). Anyone out there do this? Success stories or horror stories and what's it going to cost (should the consensus be positive)?

Thanks.
This subject has been discussed on our site for a long time. If you do a search and enter the word, "film", you might find some of the many posts? Most that tried the film found it almost impossible to apply without wrinkles, but then some said they found installers that could get it on without the wrinkles. Think just using a bra is the answer, but even though I almost always use the bra on road runs I still have a lot of road chips and my SSR is black and they do show....

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The film works, but it is difficult to put on because of all the SSR curved surfaces. We would have used a version of this for the rear fender stone guards, but it took too much time to apply in production.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
I have about a dozen prior posts on this. I've had Xpel on the front and some other places - get's cut custom on a CAD cutter and fits exactly - I had it done professionally - it's been worth every dime and has saved my paint job a couple of times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
3M film

Try Stongard.com - they're in Washington (state) and custom design each kit to fit the specific vehicle. Figure on about $500-600 for the kit (material is very expensive) and forget putting it yourself - I've tried several times and NEVER got it perfect - Go for the professional install (about $100-150 should do it). I've had it on my car for 3 years and the only chip in fromt is one I got the day before I had the material put on. It can be removed after several years (not reuseable) and will not harm the paint. They make an exceptionally good product.
Good luck.
Les

·
Registered
143 Posts
Clear Bra

When I was considering buying my SSR, I went to Vegas and rented one for two days to make sure I liked it (I did, and bought one!). Their rental had a clear bra protector on it, it was barely noticeable and seemed to protect the front end (hood) very well. They said they used one on all of their high end vehicles (Porsches, Ferraris etc...), but I do not know where they got them done or what brand they were.

B

·
0 Posts
Clear Bra by Xpel 3M

I put this pre cut kit on my SSR 3 weeks ago, Its a MUST!!
But the down side is its a bitch to install because the curve in the hood.
My buddy and I installed the hood and fenders in about 2hrs. My buddy has done a few cars before we tackled this one. Xpel rates the cars from 1-5 and 5 being the most difficult to install. Guess what the SSR rates??? you're right its a 5!
I feel I can drive my SSR with alot less reluctance knowing I,am not to close to this car or that truck. I actually waited and didnt drive my car for 1-month while waiting for the kit to arrive.

Here,s the web site www.expel.com

Good Luck Billy here in Phx

·
Registered
103 Posts
Works Great!!

Check earlier posts under 3M. Plenty of information.

AGREE with Billy, Very difficult to install on the SSR. I had it professionally installed.

Retired/ Mechanically Challenged :lol :thumbs :flag

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
I watched the pro do mine. The trick was to use Johnson's baby shampoo mixed with water in a spray bottle. Sprayed the pieces down and they moved easily all over until he got it right - then he just squeegee'd the soap off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My tint man asked me about it. He wanted to know if i was interested I never got back with him about do it. My main factor was the cost and using a razor to cut the film without scratching the paint

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
JBHAMC40 said:
My tint man asked me about it. He wanted to know if i was interested I never got back with him about do it. My main factor was the cost and using a razor to cut the film without scratching the paint
Wasn't a problem - mine was precut using SSR specific cutting instructions downloaded from a 3M website. Fit llike a glove.

·
Registered
153 Posts
ChipGuard

We have had our last 5-6 vehicles done by ChipGuard (www.chipguard.com) including my son's Black Asphalt and my Silver SSr. Full front wrap (lower facia), hood, fenders et cetera. This is not an install for someone who lacks experiencein applying the 3M film nor is it a one person job to do it right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts