Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI there , I am having trouble making a choice between the prowler and the SSR.I know some of you also own prowlers.Need some help .????? Prowler or SSR
Love them both.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
My opinion is to go with the SSR. At least it has a V8. Either way you'll have a cool ride. :cheers

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
HeyRockStar said:
HI there , I am having trouble making a choice between the prowler and the SSR.I know some of you also own prowlers.Need some help .????? Prowler or SSR
Love them both.

If you are ever going to haul groceries (or stuff like that) SSR.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I took a hard look at the Prowler. It is a cool car. I've also met some owners and talk to them at cruz nights. Here's the math

Prowler = Cool car, V6, No space for any thing except a passager, soft top,ball joint issues, not suitable for overnight trips unless you get a trailer or travel chest etc...

SSR = Cool car/ Truck, Powerful V8, Tons of dry secure storage space. Trailer towing ability, Retractable hard top more secure and roll over protection.

I've taken the SSR on some long trips and it's very comfortable to ride in. I've heard from the Prowler owners they feel beat up after long trips etc... I hung out on the Prowler site for a few months doing some research. That car has as many minor issues ie.. Roof leaks ,windows etc.. I have about 5500 miles on my Silver 2005. No issues to report. Most of the things have been worked out by the 05 model year. After some reserach and a test drive it was an easy decision for me and I really like the looks of the Prowler. SSR all the way.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just a fewe things that come to mind...

If you are going to use this as your daily driver then the SSR is a better choice.

If this is just to be a weekend toy then the Prowler may be the better choice.

The Prowler draws more attention than the SSR, if that is important to you (could be a plus or a minus depending on the situation).

A '99 and up Prowler is faster 0-60 than an '03/'04 SSR and a little slower than an '05/'06 SSR.

The Prowler has a firmer ride (2000 and up are a little softer than '97/'99) and handle better than the SSR. Not saying the SSR does not handle well, just weighs alot and I can really feel it when you throw it into a curve.

My first SSR was not what I would call trouble free, the '05 has been perfect.

The SSR is the long distance cruising champ, comfortable and lots 'o space.

The Prowler has at least 2 storage options, the trailer and the aftermarket weekender. Without these you are limited to a hanging bag layed out in the rear deck.

If you get caught in the rain in a Prowler you better have a towel handy, the tops tend to leak on most Prowlers. Both my SSRs tops have been leak free (but not trouble free, the 2003 model never quite worked correctly).

The SSR can be bought at an attractive price relative to it's original MSRP, both new and used. Most of the used SSR's should still have factory warranty.

The pricing on clean used low mileage Prowlers seems to have leveled off in the past year and may be slightly on the rise. SSR prices will likely continue to fall for a while before they hit bottom.

2005 SSR Silver
2003 SSR Yellow (gone)
—————————————————————————————————
Our other cars: 2006 Z06 DSOM / 2006 CLS55 Silver / 2005 SL65 Pewter / 2005 G55 Graphite / 2005 Boxster S Seal Grey / 2005 MazdaSpeed Miata Red / 2004 Gallardo Yellow / 2004 NSX Black / 2002 Candy Red Prowler + 2001 Orange Prowler + 2001 Silver Prowler + 1999 Yellow Prowler / 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible / 1970 Black Chevy SWB Pick up / 1969 Garnet Red Camaro SS 350 / 1969 Chevelle SS 396 / 1969 Impala SS 427 / 1968 Chevy Step Side Truck L98/700r4 / 1967 Hugger Orange Camaro 400 / 1966 GTO / 1955 Yellow Chevrolet Truck / 1934 Ford Sedan / 1930 Ford Hiboy Coupe 302 5spd

·
Registered
893 Posts
SSR & Prowler

Buy the Prowler....drive it a week....and then you'll know why you should have bought a SSR.......Kind of a HARD WAY TO LEARN.........but learn you will..... :yesnod

·
180 Posts
Whitewolf said:
Buy the Prowler....drive it a week....and then you'll know why you should have bought a SSR.......Kind of a HARD WAY TO LEARN.........but learn you will..... :yesnod
:agree

I had the exact same dilemma last March. The best advise I ever had was to rent a Prowler from an exotic car place for a weekend. After 20 minutes of driving, I ended up letting it sit in the driveway the rest of the weekend rather than endure more of that bone jarring, kidney bruising ride! My son said it best when we went driving in my '52 Chevy pickup that we picked up a few months ago (straight front axle suspension) "Gee Dad, this feels just like the prowler!"

Anyway, test drove an 05 SSR and it was not even a contest. Nine months later, I still get excited walking out to the parking lot thinking Wow, I get to drive home from work now!

Good luck with your decision!

·
Banned
183 Posts
HeyRockStar said:
Love them both.
The Prowler is much more "exotic" looking but in the long run the SSr is the better of the two. Its a V8 and has much more utility and the folding top is awsome. You could never really take the Prowler out for a weekend trip but the SSr is right at home for such service. My vote is SSR. Oh yea one more thing try bringing a washing machine home in a prowler!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
It was just a matter of personal choice for me. The prowler just didn't do it for me. I look at my SSr and still can't believe it belongs to me. I look at a prowler and I'm glad it doesn't belong to me.. The SSR is just more practical for my purposes. Either way, enjoy the ride. :party

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have both. The Prowler is a 2000 and I bought it new, the SSR is an 2004 which I bought new a year ago. If you are a gear head, better get the SSR, an 05 with a Magnacharger. If you want to be different, get either, if you want a daily driver, get the SSR. If the Prowler and the SSR were both garage queens (less than 2000 miles a year) and the decision was between the two, I would keep the Prowler. I must say, I prefer the SSR as a daily driver with its big trunk. My Prowler with the matching Prowler luggage trailer is a sight to be seen. It is beauty in motion and a great cruiser. IMHO

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have both, I tow my 02 prowler to car shows with my 05 SSR, quite a site to see, the prowler gets a lot of attention where ever we take it and now with the both vehicles we get double the looks. Both great vehicles but prowler is a weekend cruiser and the SSR is a daily cruiser.

·
Registered
416 Posts
After we bought our SSR, my brother-in-law (self-confessed auto-holic) just couldn't stand the fact that "his sister owns a hotter vehicle than he does!" He went out and priced SSRs, but just couldn't swing it, so he bought a used Prowler instead. He drove it up to visit us a couple of months ago, and after driving our SSR, he said "I don't even want to give you a ride in my Prowler now."

We do meet up with him and his wife for weekend activites from time to time (they live 200 miles away), and the sight of a Prowler and SSR parked side by side is indeed an attention-getter.

·
Registered
442 Posts
"attention-getters"

I am older than most (actually almost older than dirt) and I do not care about getting attention. I have forever tried to make my perf vehicles LESS conspicuous. We called them "sleepers." I mention this because if you want attention, drop your drawers. If you want to truly enjoy driving a vehicle, forget what your neighbors think and ENJOY!!! How possibly can a Prowler compete with a 6 speed SSR?

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Danko said:
I am older than most (actually almost older than dirt) and I do not care about getting attention. I have forever tried to make my perf vehicles LESS conspicuous. We called them "sleepers." I mention this because if you want attention, drop your drawers. If you want to truly enjoy driving a vehicle, forget what your neighbors think and ENJOY!!! How possibly can a Prowler compete with a 6 speed SSR?

All I can say to that is ditto!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts