Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
I just ran a hot wire from the inside fuse box up to the rear view mirror area for my power (for my dash cam). Unless you have a hard wire kit you will have to plug your Garmin into a 12v socket, Garmin is sensitive and you cannot easily just cut the plug off and wire directly. Best rear view viewing is replacing the head unit in the dash.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,296 Posts
I'm getting a GARMIN nuvi with a wireless back up camera. Can I pull power for the nuvi off of rear view mirror????
Yes and NO
It depends on the current requirement of your garmin. If 1 amp or less probably ok, but if more than that probably NO!

I would still avoid doing this for a couple of reasons.

1. The power wire (pink) for rearview mirror is only a .35mm wire (approx 28awg) the maximum safe current would be about 3 amps. Realize that there is already current flowing to operate the electronics and lights in the mirror. Note: just because it is fused in rear fuse box at IGN E 10 amp fuse. The wire insulation will overheat at a much lower current.
2. 28 AWG wire is very small and hard to splice without creating some voltage drop that could cause potential problems with normal operation from either device.
3. You would have to splice into a harness that does not have much room to work with
4. You would probably need to cut into the garmin wiring harness -- that could effect warranty
5. You have to splice (cut into!) the factory harness -- I always try to avoid this!

My 2 cents NO -- spend the time and run more wire to a better location. Remember to use an in line fuse dedicated for the Garmin unit. I realize some shops might do it but, some shops may do a lot of things I wouldn't do.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,808 Posts
Yes and NO
It depends on the current requirement of your garmin. If 1 amp or less probably ok, but if more than that probably NO!

1. The power wire (pink) for rearview mirror is only a .35mm wire (approx 28awg) the maximum safe current would be about 3 amps. Realize that there is already current flowing to operate the electronics and lights in the mirror. Note: just because it is fused in rear fuse box at IGN E 10 amp fuse. The wire insulation will overheat at a much lower current.
2. 28 AWG wire is very small and hard to splice without creating some voltage drop that could cause potential problems with normal operation from either device.
3. You would have to splice into a harness that does not have much room to work with
4. You would probably need to cut into the garmin wiring harness -- that could effect warranty
5. You have to splice (cut into!) the factory harness -- I always try to avoid this!

My 2 cents NO -- spend the time and run more wire to a better location. Remember to use an in line fuse dedicated for the Garmin unit. I realize some shops might do it but, some shops may do a lot of things I wouldn't do.

I would also check the actual power requirement of the Garmin. I have had GPS units that use mini or micro USB plugs and they use 5 vdc, The plug that goes into the power port in the dash has a circuit board to drop and regulate the 12 vdc. If you hit the unit with 12 vdc you may cause a failure.

Reactions: Autoprof

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,181 Posts
Yes and NO

Well said! Thanks.

I keep reminding everyone that Multiplex wiring Class 2 is sensitive to changes or loads that were not designed for the truck.

Be Careful what you do with the wiring, make sure you have a professional do the additions you want.

Dicktator

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. I believe I'll pull power from fuse box.
As always thanks for all the great QUICK info!!!
UtahTransplant

1 - 7 of 7 Posts