Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and would like some input. I am looking at a new 05 SSR with the 6.0 engine. The deals are pretty good right now. I have read about the problem with SSR'S running hot in stop and go traffic and high ambient temp's.. I live in Arizona where the temperatures hit 100+ on a regular basis. I had a 69 Corvette with a 427 for a few years that ran hot and it drove me nuts. I got where I didn't drive it very much, finally sold it. I don't want to spend 40 grand on a new SSR and be in the same situation. Is this problem limited to a few vehicles or is it across the board, or is there a fix for it. I need to depend on this vehicle to get me around without scaring the #!%@ out of me.

Thanks/ Dave

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Hot

There are a number on threads on this topic you can seach for. IMHO so long as the fans are not inoperative the SSR does not run hot (per design). It will run hotter than what you may be used to. Stop and go traffic will likely see temps cycle from about 200 to 235 and back - this is normal and is as designed. Going over the 235 mark would mean a fan problem that the dealer would be obligated to fix under warranty. :ssr

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
You just have to accept that 210 is not hot. Most of us are more comfortable with engines running cooler, but the GM story is this aluminum engine is designed to run around 200-210. Even though there lots of people trying t-stats, fans or programming to make it run cooler, I haven't seen any real problems arise from running these "normal" temps. I'm sure there will be disagreement, but even in AZ, you'll enjoy the ride more than the worry.
my.02

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Hot in AZ

Dave,
I've had mine since July 14th here in Tempe. The heating is normal here and just about everywhere else. Sitting in traffic you can expect to see the temprature gauge go above 220. It's OK. With forward movement, it will drop to just below 210. PM me and I'd be glad to meet with you, and show you what I know about it.
Rob :thumbs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks Rob. Knowing that it just runs warm and that it is normal here in AZ makes me feel better. As long as you know 210-230 is OK I can live with it. The vette I had would eventually peg the gauge in traffic if you didn't get moving. Too much engine for the radiator and poor airflow. It really took the fun out of driving the car. You always worried. I love the styling of the SSR and wanted something different. Everyone's comments are appreciated and will help me decide if this truck is right for me. I'll let you know if I get up to the Phoenix area.
Dave

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I just purchased an 05 in July. We have some pretty hot weather in sunny south florida. No heat problems or any other problems to report. 1500 trouble free miles. I haven't got to drive the SSR much these past couple months because of crappy weather..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey dr

I live in Phoenix, AZ have a 55 mile one way commute (always stuck on I-10 and B'way curve) and work at a Chevy dealer, would be glad to help and assist in anything you need give me a hollar before you buy cus now you gotta friend on the inside.

By the way what color you looking for?

Coz

·
Registered
172 Posts
Kicks A**

I've had mine for a few months.
I LOVE IT!
NO PROBLEMS-EXCEPT I DID A FEW DONUTS AND BUBBLED THE SIDEWALL OF A REAR TIRE....I THINK THE DEALER WILL REPLACE IT. OH AND I BLEW A SPEAKER THE FIRST WEEK I HAD IT...AGAIN MY FAULT.
BUY THIS CAR
YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID.

MY ONLY COMPLAINT IS THAT I DON'T HAVE ANY WHERE TO DRIVE IT FASTER.
Zack

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had mine a week here in Memphis, 05 6 speed, temp consistently around 210, and I don't think its been less than 95 degrees with high humidity here. The only problem I have is when I shift from 1st to 2 nd, or 2 nd to 3rd or down shift from 3rd to 2nd, she just wants to accelerate in those areas. I let my buddy take her for a ride. He said the same thing, she just wants, needs to accelerate.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I too have an 05 6 speed and love it. I have not had any problems with the fans coming on. It has gotten hotter than 210 a few times while cruising real slow, just turn the AC on and the fan goes to high speed and drops the temp to 210 again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input, I just wanted to make sure this was not a serious problem that would impair the enjoyment of owning this cool little hot rod of a truck. The dealer is going to deliver my new 05, red, chrome wheels, convenience package,and bed trim kit today. I hope it stops raining here in Tucson before the weekend so I can get that top down and enjoy it. It seems like everytime I buy a new car it rains.

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts