Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
4,923 Posts
Can’t tell by picture which fender you are showing. The 03-04 hood prop was on drivers side

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,400 Posts
I use it to attach my front end bra.
I suspect the bra was designed to take advantage of the hole and not the other way around.

I'd guess to align parts during original assembly.
Sounds like a logical use.

Can’t tell by picture which fender you are showing. The 03-04 hood prop was on drivers side
Showing the Right Fender. Prop rod is/was on the left and, if I remember correctly, has a surface mount hinge on the fender and the hole is in the hood frame.

Maybe @freezer or another of the design team will check in with an answer.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Installing Accent lights and installing switch in hole along side on fender. Does anyone know what the original purpose of this hole was? Just curious.
:wink2:
While you're sitting back in Tennessee, sipping some good bourbon.......ya got several people stumbling around trying to answer your question about a damn hole.>:)

Yes, as I recall a real bourbon comes from Kentucky. But you guys in Tenn. have some fine stuff too.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
5,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installing Accent lights and installing switch in hole along side on fender. Does anyone know what the original purpose of this hole was? Just curious.
/forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
While you're sitting back in Tennessee, sipping some good bourbon.......ya got several people stumbling around trying to answer your question about a damn hole./forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_devil.png

Yes, as I recall a real bourbon comes from Kentucky. But you guys in Tenn. have some fine stuff too./forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
What are you drinking? It's either Tennessee Whiskey or Good ol home made "Shine".

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,400 Posts
:wink2:
While you're sitting back in Tennessee, sipping some good bourbon.......ya got several people stumbling around trying to answer your question about a damn hole.>:)

Yes, as I recall a real bourbon comes from Kentucky. But you guys in Tenn. have some fine stuff too.:smile2:
What are you drinking? It's either Tennessee Whiskey or Good ol home made "Shine".
Right, everyone knows that NOBODY in Tennessee drinks Bourbon (it's against the law isn't it?).

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
There's a round hole toward the back of the fender, also. My guess would be that those two different holes were used for positioning in the stamping die. I believe it took multiple stamping passes to complete the fender shape.

Reactions: BlueStreak

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Weight reduction to help it pass emissions standards.... Yes I am kidding.

With there being a hole in the inner structure to match I would say there was some pin there in the set up jig at the assembly plant most likely to help position the inner structure and fender.

Or like TopSpin said it may have been for positioning when they stamped it.

Or one last thought is that a lot of stamped parts have to be cleaned after they are stamped. They may have been run through a cleaning tank or spray and the holes are what they hung them by. I worked for a fireplace manufacturer and a lot of the fireplace parts were run through this big huge pressure washer booth thing on a trolley system and they had to hang so they got fully cleaned and dried that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts