Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed this R for sale that has push button start. Does anyone recognize this truck or has installed push button start on their truck. How difficult would it be.? Thanks.
Screenshot_20191112-201301.png
Screenshot_20191112-200543.png

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,941 Posts
Noticed this R for sale that has push button start. Does anyone recognize this truck or has installed push button start on their truck. How difficult would it be.? Thanks. View attachment 570508 View attachment 570509

The SSR group used to go to a run at Lofland in Nevada years ago and there was an electronic guy that took orders for there to do push button starts. I remember him saying on this site that there was little interest so he would not do them any more. That is all I remember. They don't do that run any more either. Mike from simple engineering would probably remember him. You still have to carry your keys and door fob to get in and a fob for the push button etc. so it is kind of useless. Didn't go very far.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,625 Posts
I know of at least one nameless fanatic that has it installed on his R. The reason I know this is because he decided to start his unoccupied R while a couple of us were standing around looking at it. I think he got the reaction he wanted. lol

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Noticed this R for sale that has push button start. Does anyone recognize this truck or has installed push button start on their truck. How difficult would it be.? Thanks. View attachment 570508 View attachment 570509
:rolleyes:
A buddy of mine owned a 2005 Corvette and it had the push button ignition. A couple of years ago, he was out on an errand and stopped at a store. He pushed the button to shut it down, and it did..........but then the whole system malfunctioned. He could not open the door, he could not re-start the Vette and he was stuck. Guy weighs maybe 325 or so and it was a convertible. He could not squirm around and reach the cables to pop the top release.
Finally, he motioned to a lady walking by and told her he was stuck. She called 911 and the cops showed up to finally get him out.
he was well beyond warranty coverage so I do not recall what all had to be replaced and or the cost to get it fixed.

·
SSR Believer
635 Posts
I did a little more research and it looks like you could even add a basic, inexpensive one like this to the R. There are a lot of DIY videos about them on YouTube. That one isn't nearly as robust as the one in the video though. It just replaces the key with a push button, but maybe that's enough? The description also says "Need to unlock/release/remove the steering lock in your vehicle & extra bypass module is required for vehicles with chip immobilizer in factory OEM key fob" The bypass has poor ratings, but a couple of reviewers said it's not needed.

The system shown in the video runs around $600+ as opposed to < $50 for just the push button conversion.

From what I could tell one of the downsides is that you have to permanently disengage the steering wheel lock which in turn disengages the transmission lock (at least as long as you're using the push button) . Some installations showed a key being made and most of the top of the key cut off, inserted in the ignition then covered up either with a piece of plastic or the push button itself. Others show the whole ignition barrel being removed and the push button being inserted on the steering column rather than the dash.

So I guess I'd opt for the RFID system that sets the alarm, auto-locks the doors when you walk away and opens them when you get near. Otherwise the basic push button seems like it would degrade the security since the steering wheel no longer locks. Plus it could allow the tranny to be taken out of park at any time and if you didn't have the emergency brake engaged, well, that could be ugly.

It looks like most car stereo shops install things like that so they'd probably have more info. Or maybe someone that's installed one (on their R or another vehicle) will chime in.

It's an interesting idea that's for sure.

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 10.14.01 AM.JPG Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 10.13.52 AM.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
The SSR group used to go to a run at Lofland in Nevada years ago and there was an electronic guy that took orders for there to do push button starts. I remember him saying on this site that there was little interest so he would not do them any more. That is all I remember. They don't do that run any more either. Mike from simple engineering would probably remember him. You still have to carry your keys and door fob to get in and a fob for the push button etc. so it is kind of useless. Didn't go very far.
The guy who did who did the push button start was from the Phoenix area. He also installed radios and alarm systems, his name is Dave Galloway of Unique Sound & Security Systems. I think his shop is in Mesa, AZ. I had him install a Pioneer AVIC audio system in my 2005 SSR at the Laughlin SSR Rally in 2005. It quit on the second day after the installation. I had to detour a couple hundred miles out of the way going home because of the poor installation. I will not recommend him for an work an the SSR. He called himself the SSR Alarm Expert.

·
Spirited driver!
1,007 Posts
The guy who did who did the push button start was from the Phoenix area. He also installed radios and alarm systems, his name is Dave Galloway of Unique Sound & Security Systems. I think his shop is in Mesa, AZ. I had him install a Pioneer AVIC audio system in my 2005 SSR at the Laughlin SSR Rally in 2005. It quit on the second day after the installation. I had to detour a couple hundred miles out of the way going home because of the poor installation. I will not recommend him for an work an the SSR. He called himself the SSR Alarm Expert.
I have heard of similar issues from others. Find a local experienced tech you can trust if you evidence to this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts