Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose the handle break in a way that it dose not swing and return properly?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another try.

I'm still not sure I understand what is breaking. Is it the hinge of the latch or the connection to the mechanicals?

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
It would be nice to have a before picture and the after of the broken piece. Anyone taking off their door panel soon !?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The part that breaks is the hinge pivot in the door panel that the pin in the handle goes through. Very light duty plastic loops with a metal pin going through two holes. The part in the drawing is the incorrect piece. That is the slide that the handle operates.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Designing a fix.

Ok I think I understand now. No moving parts get broken.

It's the part referred to in the manual as the "door trim panel" that breaks, specifically where the hinge of the release handle pivots.

I really don't believe it will be difficult to design an insert and and mods that will allow repair of the panel.

If anyone has saved the broken part, I'd like to have it. If I can get one, I'm sure I can design a solid fix that can be retrofitted. (I have 28 years experience as a mechanical designer.) I'll pay the shipping if that is a problem.

You know, a short term fix would be to have a power door unlock installed. At least the door could then be opened without reaching outside.

edit:
PS, My truck is a daily driver that will be 2 years old this April. Haven't had a problem with the door yet. KNOCK ON WOOD!.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
I posted in another thread earlier but you can still open the door with the inside handle. You need to put some pressure on the handle holding into the door (holds the pivot in place) and the twist/pull the handle. The door will unlatch at the end of the hanlde's travel.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hdflstf said:
I posted in another thread earlier but you can still open the door with the inside handle. You need to put some pressure on the handle holding into the door (holds the pivot in place) and the twist/pull the handle. The door will unlatch at the end of the hanlde's travel.
You should post that to the tips and tricks thread.

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
Keeping the parts

I asked the dealer for the parts "when" they are replaced.
They said ...."Nope".
Have to send them back to GM.
GM should have quite a pile of them forming someplace.

Not driving a Hot Rod
Skip

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Must be a warranty thing or mayby a warranty fraud thing.

I don't know they can actually do that, unless it's because it's under warranty. Mine is about out of warranty. I should pass 36k by the end of the week. At that point if the door broke, I'd get the old parts back for sure.

Calif. law requires the return of old parts if the owner requests. Rebuildable parts, like alternators, may have a core charge associated with them, but even they can be had if you pay it.

Thinking about that, if it broke I'd have both the broken part and a good incentive to patch it up.

·
Registered
740 Posts
hdflstf said:
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
new and improved?

Im still not clear on this. Is the replacment part improved at all. By the way mine was fixed by the dealer within one week, replaced both sides.:)

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
6.0scSSR said:
Im still not clear on this. Is the replacment part improved at all. By the way mine was fixed by the dealer within one week, replaced both sides.:)
Yes...the replacement is a redesigned part.

·
Registered
192 Posts
When did the improved mechanism go online

I wonder what the build date that the improved mechanisms were installed in our SSR's on the assembly line. I have an '05 and wonder if I have the handle problem to look forward to.

Anyone have any time frames or dates?

Doug

·
Premium Member
31,463 Posts
Really Really???

I haven't heard of any redesigned door handles. I thought the redesigned door panel is just that - the panel only (the recess to allow you to get your hand around the seat).

However, if someone does know that the handles were infact updated - let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had a repair done on both my door handles (interior). Was told there was a 'bulletin' on this. The driver's side handle would not open the door. Felt as if it had been disconnected.
Nelson (Aviator)

·
Registered
337 Posts
attn beer 100-- we have a set of broken ones in our warranty hold bin if chevy does not ask for them back I will send them to you I tagged them so they wont be thrown away-- pm me your name address zip and I will send them to you it will probably still be a few weeks -Frank

1 - 20 of 23 Posts