Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I've always been a huge SSR fan and spotted one for sale at a dealership in town in DeKalb, IL yesterday. I took it for a test drive and when my husband and I were giving it a once-over, I was getting a roof timeout error when trying to operate the convertible top. When I got it back to the dealership they showed me that the top works if I have the emergency brake engaged. It did still give me a timeout error halfway through, but if I re-pushed and held the button it continued to retract with no issues. From what I'm reading on the forum, I shouldn't need to have the emergency brake engaged at all (just the regular brake). Any feedback on whether or not I should have concerns about the top's operation?

Initially, we couldn't get the back open either but I think that was all user error and us not knowing where to stick our fingers to pull it up. The only other issue I noted was the passenger seat back wouldn't tip forward and backward. Oh, and when I went to test drive it the battery was dead (It's the winter and it had been sitting outside for awhile, so that seems reasonable, but I did read on this forum that jumpstarting the SSR can cause issues). We were able to restart it a few times during the test drive process without issue. The key also stuck in the ignition after the battery died but came out easily after we restarted the battery.

If you can think of anything else I should be looking for, please let me know!

· Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,229 Posts
1. You do NOT have to engage the emergency/parking brake for normal top operation. The top "TIMEOUT" error indicates a problem that should be addressed and corrected.
2. The dead battery is also not normal, something needs attention. Any dealer should have checked the battery was healthy before a test drive ... there may be a parasitic electrical drain somewhere, a bad ground, or the alternator is not properly charging the battery.
3. The rear bed cover likely needs new struts, the lid should pop up to full OPEN when the release button is pressed. If the lid only unlatches and you have to "stick your fingers" somewhere to get it open, then it is not operating properly. It can be fixed.
4. There are two manual handles on each seat for seat back release, did you check both of them?

This forum is great resource for a new owner/buyer; search the forum for a list of items to check on any SSR you are considering buying. Where are you located? Your best bet would be to find an SSR Fanatic in your area that may accompany you to the dealership to do a full walk-around on that SSR.

Good luck on finding an SSR that will bring you joy, not heartache and headaches.

· Slingshot Rules!
90,808 Posts

WELCOME, Sylverware . . . from Southern Arizona.

The "Timeout Error" definitely should be addressed. Sounds like a great time for some serious negotiations.

Good Luck.

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !

· Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
7,662 Posts
@Sylverware welcome to the forum and hope you find the right SSR. I will add on to what @carlbush said is all vey good advice but one thing he might not be taking into consideration is how cold it was in Northern IL this time of year. My SSR with good bed struts will sometimes not pop open, and will never go fully open on their own in temps down in the 30s. This one probably does need them replaced and you might try to add that into your haggling or offer price. Check out Simple-Engineering.com as a source for bed struts and many other parts and accessories. They will run you about $120 for the standard black ones.
My bigger concern would be the roof time out but again weather could play into this. Hydraulic fluid when cold does not flow near as good as when it is warm. A couple of ideas would be to start to open the top and after the lid has raised stop pushing the button and go around and look in the roof storage compartment, in the middle from drivers side to passengers side you will see the pump sitting toward the front of the roof compartment. Look at the reservoir tank to see if it is low and also look at the color, if it is real dark it could be signs of future problems. Also look in the floor area of the roof compartment for possible leaks or fluid on the floor.

Good luck in your search and keep us updated.
Welcome from St Louis, MO

· Premium Member
7,045 Posts
@Sylverware, First what year is it? 2003's and some '04's had bad hinges on the top, or it could be, all pivot points on the top need lubrication. The key stuck in the lock is due to low volt / bad battery. If you are really interested in buying one, check the "SSR's for Sale" thread on this site. More likely babied and cared for better than others. SSRs for Sale. ALSO----
Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION, now, and the year of your SSR, after you get it, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", after you get it, and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Click here for parts, help and tips--Simple Engineering, LLC – Chevy SSR Aftermarket Parts, Accessories and Repair Solutions

Owner Pinmap locate other owners and let them locate you. Go to last page to add your information.

Nick & Kathy

· SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 19yrs. Start 9K, now 166K miles
14,976 Posts
SSR is 20 years old, this year, 2003-2023.

My battery doesn't hold a charge like it used to, I don't go up and down like I used to, and I say "Time Out" a lot.

But I'm 87 yrs. old just like a 20-year-old SSR.

All problems you sighted are small problems, but you should make Seller lower price or pay to fix.

Make sure you contact SSR knowledgeable people to do the repairs. Cheaper and done right.

Dicktator

· Registered
2003 & 2004 Black SSR
273 Posts
Great questions, looks like you've done your homework.
Since it is at a dealership, I would check their website if they have one to see how long they've had it sitting and or ask them directly. Also ask to see the carfax, to see its history of owners and repairs and States it's been driven.
As mentioned above, invite a local SSR owner and remember that their are SSR's on this site also for sale and many of them a few Fanatics know of their true condition.

With what you've stated so far Sylverware, I would aim at removing $7000 from their asking price considering that it will be in constant hopefully minimal repair until everything is fully functional. Remind them to consider all the time and effort it's going to require of you and your husband and the tracking down of parts and assistance.
You could also request a "to do bill" at any shop or friends home of your choice.Unless they believe to be capable of the repairs. I don't Repair vehicles where I purchase them if at all and when necessary, they are difficult to find but, still a few honest mechanics in this world if the SSR family is too far away.
Good Luck and Fortune in your Endeavors.

· Premium Member
829 Posts
Ditto what the previous posts have said.
As for the seat back not tilting; the seat back may just be pushed tight against the back wall, which can jam the release mechanism. Try moving the seat forward so the seat back isn’t touching the back wall and try again.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips! Honestly it sounds like less work to repair from what I'm reading here than I supposed it would be. It's a 2004 with one owner. At the risk of one of y'all rushing over there and buying it, here's the link (I suppose if someone loved it for nearly 20 years there's a chance s/he was a member here): 2004 Chevrolet SSR Sycamore IL | Kunes Honda of Sycamore 1GCES14P24B104836.

The more research we do the more my husband is interested in the 2005 manual with the larger v8 (there's one in Detroit). He had a 2004 Chevy Silverado SS until our second kid was born in 2017 so there is a bit of 2004 nostalgia with this particular car.

The forum posts suggest Chevy dealerships aren't a great resource for repairs any longer. Is that generally true? There's a Chevy dealership right across the street from this dealership so one thing I had considered was paying for an estimate of all the things that are wrong and how much it would cost for the Chevy dealership to fix them and to try to get that off the list price. This car has been on the lot for quite awhile despite what the website says. They want it gone!

· Premium Member
7,045 Posts
@Sylverware, correct, Dealers, majority of the time don't know anything about them and cause more issues than they solve. Them wanting it gone is a good bargaining chip. Did you check the ones for sale by members here, in the link above?
Edit I just looked and it does not have the Carpeted bed that is desirable. But I am partial to the color. as you can see in my picture:cool:
Nick

· BLU SSR
4,157 Posts
Don't waste your money with the dealership, the chances are that they do not have anyone with any experience repairing SSRs. The best bet for inspection is a local Fanatic from this site or better yet find one for sale on this site that is owned by a Fanatic.
You have received some good advice in the previous posts, I would add that if both of you intend to drive the SSR , the manual transmission may be a pain in local traffic for some and lots of fun for others, but GET WHAT YOU WANT!
Good Luck with your hunt and WELCOME from Quincy,Ill.

· Premium Member
6,167 Posts
I am curious, if you could tell us what they want for the R. I would also say the dealer really does not APPEAR to know much about SSR's.

The cover lid pop up shouldn't be hard if it unlatches. I don't know about DeKalb, but it has been cold here. Mine do not pop up when it is very cold. The struts can be replaced, and probably should be.

The other items don't appear to be a wear and tear items. If a dealer knows nothing I would expect them to be able to fix nothing.

As others said previously, It would need to be an excellent deal, or I would look elsewhere. There are often R's on here that have a history.
Thanks for the tips! Honestly it sounds like less work to repair from what I'm reading here than I supposed it would be. It's a 2004 with one owner. At the risk of one of y'all rushing over there and buying it, here's the link (I suppose if someone loved it for nearly 20 years there's a chance s/he was a member here): 2004 Chevrolet SSR Sycamore IL | Kunes Honda of Sycamore 1GCES14P24B104836.

The more research we do the more my husband is interested in the 2005 manual with the larger v8 (there's one in Detroit). He had a 2004 Chevy Silverado SS until our second kid was born in 2017 so there is a bit of 2004 nostalgia with this particular car.

The forum posts suggest Chevy dealerships aren't a great resource for repairs any longer. Is that generally true? There's a Chevy dealership right across the street from this dealership so one thing I had considered was paying for an estimate of all the things that are wrong and how much it would cost for the Chevy dealership to fix them and to try to get that off the list price. This car has been on the lot for quite awhile despite what the website says. They want it gone!
If you want a 6 speed, I would wait for one. They are generally more expensive and have some different difficulties, but I love mine.

· Premium Member
6,167 Posts
I am curious, if you could tell us what they want for the R. I would also say the dealer really does not APPEAR to know much about SSR's.

The cover lid pop up shouldn't be hard if it unlatches. I don't know about DeKalb, but it has been cold here. Mine do not pop up when it is very cold. The struts can be replaced, and probably should be.

The other items don't appear to be a wear and tear items. If a dealer knows nothing I would expect them to be able to fix nothing.

As others said previously, It would need to be an excellent deal, or I would look elsewhere. There are often R's on here that have a history.

If you want a 6 speed, I would wait for one. They are generally more expensive and have some different difficulties, but I love mine.
I did not see the mileage, but even though prices have been fluctuating, the price listed is at the top end of what the early models bring. That being said it should be at the top end condition wise. If it was a trade and one owner, then perhaps you can talk to the original owner.

IMO

· Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
7,662 Posts
I found the mileage shows it at 41XXX. Something else to look at and for. Check all 4 of the dash vents if you have to replace them they are $75 each if you can even find them for originals. Also see if the owners manual is with it and the roof tool. Those hopefully will be there with it being a one owner. The owners manual can run $100 and the roof tool about the same if you have to replace them.

· Premium Member
2005 Chevy SSR,2004 Ultra Violet
1,601 Posts

If this one does not work out I have a UV or purple for sale. New paint and new interior and everything works. The mileage is higher than the one you are looking at.

· Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,229 Posts
Sitting on the sidelines, I would be concerned for any potential issues with the SSR you are considering simply because you have not yet discovered them. It also sounds to me like the dealership is willing to tell you anything to make the sale ... "parking brake to operate the top".
This forum is a great place to find a quality used SSR with a trustworthy history and upgrades.

I think any of us will heartily vouch for the UltraViolet (UV) SSR that Tom Sorenson has for sale ... it is in absolutely beautiful condition and has been properly cared for. I would buy this one in a heartbeat if I were in the market. In case you are unaware, Tom is a leading member of the R-Gang, a group of SSR Fanatics in central Florida who have dedicated their time, energy and resources to assisting other SSR owners in keeping their machines functioning properly. R-Gang has fixed more than 100 SSR convertible roof systems.

· Registered
2005 6-Speed
198 Posts
...The only other issue I noted was the passenger seat back wouldn't tip forward and backward...
My truck had the same problem with the driver's seat when I bought it. The lever pulls a cable that is very similar to a bicycle brake cable, and my cable housing had come out of it's socket.

@Dicktator has some how-to instructions for removing the seat plastic required to access. It was an easy fix.
Head White Human body Organism Mode of transport

Reactions: azcactii

· Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
1,357 Posts
Hi All! I've always been a huge SSR fan and spotted one for sale at a dealership in town in DeKalb, IL yesterday. I took it for a test drive and when my husband and I were giving it a once-over, I was getting a roof timeout error when trying to operate the convertible top. When I got it back to the dealership they showed me that the top works if I have the emergency brake engaged. It did still give me a timeout error halfway through, but if I re-pushed and held the button it continued to retract with no issues. From what I'm reading on the forum, I shouldn't need to have the emergency brake engaged at all (just the regular brake). Any feedback on whether or not I should have concerns about the top's operation?

Initially, we couldn't get the back open either but I think that was all user error and us not knowing where to stick our fingers to pull it up. The only other issue I noted was the passenger seat back wouldn't tip forward and backward. Oh, and when I went to test drive it the battery was dead (It's the winter and it had been sitting outside for awhile, so that seems reasonable, but I did read on this forum that jumpstarting the SSR can cause issues). We were able to restart it a few times during the test drive process without issue. The key also stuck in the ignition after the battery died but came out easily after we restarted the battery.

If you can think of anything else I should be looking for, please let me know!
This truck sounds pretty risky. If I were you, I would have it thoroughly checked over by someone who is familiar with SSRs, possibly a Fanatic that lives nearby. Then come up with a reasonable estimate to fix all of the problems and present that to the dealership with an offer that reduces the price by at least that much. Like others here I would recommend that if you like that color, talk to @soren703 about his truck that has had everything done. At least look on the FOR SALE forum here and see if anything floats your boat. These trucks are usually well cared for, and a Fanatic should be open with you about specific issues remaining, IMHO.

· Registered
21 Posts
@Sylverware welcome to the forum and hope you find the right SSR. I will add on to what @carlbush said is all vey good advice but one thing he might not be taking into consideration is how cold it was in Northern IL this time of year. My SSR with good bed struts will sometimes not pop open, and will never go fully open on their own in temps down in the 30s. This one probably does need them replaced and you might try to add that into your haggling or offer price. Check out Simple-Engineering.com as a source for bed struts and many other parts and accessories. They will run you about $120 for the standard black ones.
My bigger concern would be the roof time out but again weather could play into this. Hydraulic fluid when cold does not flow near as good as when it is warm. A couple of ideas would be to start to open the top and after the lid has raised stop pushing the button and go around and look in the roof storage compartment, in the middle from drivers side to passengers side you will see the pump sitting toward the front of the roof compartment. Look at the reservoir tank to see if it is low and also look at the color, if it is real dark it could be signs of future problems. Also look in the floor area of the roof compartment for possible leaks or fluid on the floor.

Good luck in your search and keep us updated.
Welcome from St Louis, MO
If you purchase struts for your truck, DO NOT pay $120 for them. Go to www.liftsupportsdepot.com and they are $17 a piece.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts