Chevy SSR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,749 Posts

· Super Moderator
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
6,143 Posts
If you purchase struts for your truck, DO NOT pay $120 for them. Go to www.liftsupportsdepot.com and they are $17 a piece.
Remember you get what you pay for... @Sylverware ,Fanatics have been using Simple Engineering products for years and years! There is no one or no business that stands behind his products more than Mike. You can easily see the hundreds of threads to know this is true... Hope you find the truck that it is perfect for you! ;)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks again for all this additional information! I'm going to post on the Great Lakes SSR forum and see if I can find anyone knowledgable in the Chicagoland area who I could pay to come give me an opinion of its true condition/mechanical issues and what it's worth.

Someone may get frustrated with me here for not being an SSR purist but has anyone sprayed rhinoliner in the uncarpeted beds? I did it with my last 2 trucks and loved it.

@soren703 - I can't find the listing of the purple SSR that you have for sale. Can you share a link to it?

· Registered
'04 pearl yellow with ghost flames
201 Posts
Thanks again for all this additional information! I'm going to post on the Great Lakes SSR forum and see if I can find anyone knowledgable in the Chicagoland area who I could pay to come give me an opinion of its true condition/mechanical issues and what it's worth.

Someone may get frustrated with me here for not being an SSR purist but has anyone sprayed rhinoliner in the uncarpeted beds? I did it with my last 2 trucks and loved it.

@soren703 - I can't find the listing of the purple SSR that you have for sale. Can you share a link to it?
You can buy one of these for the bed

· Premium Member
2005 Chevy SSR,2004 Ultra Violet
1,597 Posts

I started a conversation with you.

· Super Moderator
6,143 Posts
@Sylverware , Don't worry about the puriest. SSR's were built with customizing in mind! 😉Rhino liner material has been used on running boards. Not sure about the bed liner. The plastic bed liner is pretty durable and is used for those who haul items in it. Most don't but some do. Many of us encourage you to making it your own. Get too extreme and resale can be difficult but most of us hope to keep ours as long as we are alive! 😉

Good luck in your search!

· Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
7,634 Posts
The beds either have carpet in them or they have what is referred to as the Tupperware liner. It is just a fit plastic bed liner. The beds also have two rails in the floor and on the sides that you can get D rings to tie stuff down with in the bed and to the sides. The bed with out anything looks really plain and not sure you would want to take out the liner and do bed liner in it but again it is a personal choice.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I realize I should have been more specific about the passenger seat not tipping back. It's the button operation that won't tip it back and forth, not the lever -- I can hear electronics working but don't see the chair doing anything. I might have to give it a closer look when I go back to make sure tipping is what that lever is actually supposed to do.

I'm paying a friend to look at it on Friday who has restored a lot of old Chevys to give me his opinion as my post in the Great Lakes group didn't yield any results.

I agree the price is too high, but I'm of the mindset that what they're asking isn't what they're going to get for it. My gut is that it isn't worth more than $20,000, especially with used car prices falling.

· Premium Member
04 SSR
4,653 Posts
I personally don't think the passenger seat has that capability.
Just forward and back. Harder to get seat bolt covers off because of this.
Two levers to tilt back of seat. Electric forward and back.

· Registered
21 Posts
Just remember. you get what you pay for. You might want to check www.simple-engineering.com for price and warrantee.
I've been buying struts for several years from these guys (www.liftsupportsdepot.com) for my corvettes. I'll match these struts up against any of your overpriced stuff any day. Just because something costs more, doesn't make it any better. I'm a corvette guy, so I know what I'm talking about when it comes to things being overpriced. We call it the "corvette tax". I bet these struts are manufactured by the same ones you buy at simple engineering. I've purchased a half dozen sets from them over the years and never had a problem. So you do get what you pay for, except I like to save my money. They've been around a long time and they're out of Carlsbad, Ca.

· SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 19yrs. Start 9K, now 166K miles
14,958 Posts
02bnkc

You may be right on Corvette but not SSR. Wonder why you are buying so many struts for your Corvettes.

SSR Struts are made in Canada FOR SSR.

Others, like you, have tried the "other" struts.

Then they buy the "right" struts" for SSR, so you waste time and $$.

WE have been doing this for 17 years or more, don't think you have.

I saw 1953 Corvette in Chevy Dealer in 1953, had 6 cylinder Blue Flame engine.

Would you buy in a 6 cylinder engine for your Corvette to save $$??

Do what you want, we have "Been there, Done that.

Dicktator

· SSR Pit Crew
14,958 Posts

Attachments

· Registered
21 Posts
02bnkc

You may be right on Corvette but not SSR. Wonder why you are buying so many struts for your Corvettes.

SSR Struts are made in Canada FOR SSR.

Others, like you, have tried the "other" struts.

Then they buy the "right" struts" for SSR, so you waste time and $$.

WE have been doing this for 17 years or more, don't think you have.

I saw 1953 Corvette in Chevy Dealer in 1953, had 6 cylinder Blue Flame engine.

Would you buy in a 6 cylinder engine for your Corvette to save $$??
?
Do what you want, we have "Been there, Done that.

Dicktator
I've bought so many struts because I've replaced them on about a dozen vettes including 5 c5's. I just replaced the struts on my 2003 SSR with these the other day. They have the same part # as the originals. I sure wouldn't replace a 6 cylinder in a 53 vette with an LS1! I've got the original flathead in my 40 Ford. There's nothing wrong with that, either. Are you claiming you are the only people that have the correct struts for an SSR? Price does not always equal quality. Sometimes just greed.

· Super Moderator
6,143 Posts
@o2bnkc When you post this type of comment "If you purchase struts for your truck, DO NOT pay $120 for them. Go to www.liftsupportsdepot.com and they are $17 a piece." And "Price does not always equal quality. Sometimes it's just greed!"

Don't be surprised by some blow back from those who have been in the Fanatic Family since the very beginning.
My issue is with your insinuation that greed has something to do with the price of the struts.

"Greed" would be the last word used to describe Mike Moro and Simple-Engineering! He is the reason why there are upgrades for our trucks due to some poor engineering and design of a few components on our beloved SSR's!
After years of trial and failure to find a way to repair our RDM's, it was Mike and his helpers that found success! Used RDM's were being sold for $4500 and climbing because GM would not help us find a fix! Hope was dwindling and people were actually selling their trucks in fear that their RDM might fail! Many feared that the truck would be worthless. A convertible that doesn't work, windows won't come down and you can't even operate your air conditioner!

THAT WAS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR GREED! He could have easily charged $2000 or more to repair a RDM! What did Mike and Simple Engineering do? Charge a mere $500 to do something that NO ONE in the world can do at the moment! Try to prove us wrong on this one!

So forgive the Fanatic Family if we are LOYAL and TRUST than Simple Engineering products that Mike has made available to us are BOTH QUALITY and VALUE and that are designed solely on the requirements of an SSR.

I encourage you to join us at a Tech Session, Meet and Greet or especially at our International Rally in Flagstaff come September to get a better feel of who and what the SSR Fanatic Family is all about.

Good Day to you Sir.

· Registered
21 Posts
@o2bnkc When you post this type of comment "If you purchase struts for your truck, DO NOT pay $120 for them. Go to www.liftsupportsdepot.com and they are $17 a piece." And "Price does not always equal quality. Sometimes it's just greed!"

Don't be surprised by some blow back from those who have been in the Fanatic Family since the very beginning.
My issue is with your insinuation that greed has something to do with the price of the struts.

"Greed" would be the last word used to describe Mike Moro and Simple-Engineering! He is the reason why there are upgrades for our trucks due to some poor engineering and design of a few components on our beloved SSR's!
After years of trial and failure to find a way to repair our RDM's, it was Mike and his helpers that found success! Used RDM's were being sold for $4500 and climbing because GM would not help us find a fix! Hope was dwindling and people were actually selling their trucks in fear that their RDM might fail! Many feared that the truck would be worthless. A convertible that doesn't work, windows won't come down and you can't even operate your air conditioner!

THAT WAS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR GREED! He could have easily charged $2000 or more to repair a RDM! What did Mike and Simple Engineering do? Charge a mere $500 to do something that NO ONE in the world can do at the moment! Try to prove us wrong on this one!

So forgive the Fanatic Family if we are LOYAL and TRUST than Simple Engineering products that Mike has made available to us are BOTH QUALITY and VALUE and that are designed solely on the requirements of an SSR.

I encourage you to join us at a Tech Session, Meet and Greet or especially at our International Rally in Flagstaff come September to get a better feel of who and what the SSR Fanatic Family is all about.

Good Day to you Sir.
I apologize if I offended Mike. That was not my intention when I made my post about the struts. I've gone on that site to find out problems to fix my truck, too. The corvette c5 community has the same ongoing problems with our cars, too. With that being said, I just put out info where there were better prices for the same part. If it offends long time owners and participants on this site, I'm sorry. But to come at me and say just because the part is cheaper it must be inferior is wrong. I'll bet dollars to donuts the part is made by the same manufacturer.

· SSR Pit Crew
14,958 Posts
I am also sorry that you think they are made by same manufacture, they are not. And yes you can get orginal and save $$ but bed cover won't go up. SO, we had struts made by a manufacture in Canada that do make bed cover go up and last. Yes, they cost more, but they work. That was 2007.

The C5 Corvette family does not have same problems. It's not on Trailblazer frame, does not have Multiplex wiring, class 2 and does not have ASC Convertible Roof.

Like I said, you do not have to listen or learn from our experience, you can slowly learn it yourself.

GM presented Mike Moro a Plaque for keeping the SSR on the Road.

Welcome to the Family!

Dicktator

Attachments

· Premium Member
828 Posts
I realize I should have been more specific about the passenger seat not tipping back. It's the button operation that won't tip it back and forth, not the lever -- I can hear electronics working but don't see the chair doing anything. I might have to give it a closer look when I go back to make sure tipping is what that lever is actually supposed to do.
I think the button you’re referring to adjusts the lumbar support in the seat back…that’s probably the “electronics working” you hear.

· Registered
21 Posts
I am also sorry that you think they are made by same manufacture, they are not. And yes you can get orginal and save $$ but bed cover won't go up. SO, we had struts made by a manufacture in Canada that do make bed cover go up and last. Yes, they cost more, but they work. That was 2007.

The C5 Corvette family does not have same problems. It's not on Trailblazer frame, does not have Multiplex wiring, class 2 and does not have ASRC Convertible Roof.

Like I said, you do not have to listen or learn from our experience, you can slowly learn it yourself.

GM presented Mike Moro a Plaque for keeping the SSR on the Road.

Welcome to the Family!

Dicktator
I didn't mean to cause any problems, but the struts are working fine and my bed cover really comes up fast and to the top where before I had to sqeeze my fingers between the cover and tailgate to lift it up. Again, I have been buying struts from these guys for years. Always high quality stuff, and no, I don't work for them. Thanks.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts