Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jim you are the most knowledgeable person I've seen regarding the SSR and the engine bay and engine set ups etc.. Will the new LS7 from a ZO6 vett fit in the SSR? Thank you in advance O' Wise one......

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
yes ,

I'm not Jim but Im taking the liberty of answering you anyways . Do a search under Lingenfelter, or scan the general topics under Lingenfelter LS 6.There is even a video of one on the dyno ............................. Peter

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Stormcat and matjow: Interesting question.

Yes it will physically fit (same block with some specific non-critical changes, as matjow says), but a few thoughts to consider:

1. A PROPERLY done AFTERMARKET "conversion" of an existing Gen III LS engine to 427 costs well over $20,000. This is because too many parts and too much machining need to be done at aftermarket rates. I think it might actually be cheaper to buy the crate LS7, yank the exisitng engine and resell it, and do the install of the LS7. Note that this will require an entirely new vehicle wiring harness probably, among other challenges.

2. The Lengenfelter offering might actually be a pretty good deal when the costs of a one-of conversion on your own are fully understood and priced out with actual quotes! Think, for example, even "simple" things like emissions compliance.

3. The thermodynamics of a 5.3 liter LM4 and 6.0 liter LS2 are already very troubling (see my book "The SSR Experience") even according to the guy who was in charge of the engineering for it, so stuffing a 500 hp engine in there is just going to make things that much tougher. You'd need to get solutios like a much better engine coooling fan, better radiator, transmission cooling for an automatic, etc.

4. I doubt the 4L60-E or 4L65-E autmatic transmssions' reliability behind that kind of power. The Tremec would work fine I think, but you'd have to have the appropriate vehicle wiring harness, wich does not exist so would have to be custom made

You see how the issues multiply rather quickly . . . :nodno

Jim G

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guy's thanks for the responses. I saw some brand new LS7 crate engines for sale over on the corvette site for $14k that sounds fairly reasonable for that motor. It made me think about the possibilities of going that route for a power in fusion. ....

·
Registered
61 Posts
As Jim stated.... It could be done. The motor will drop right in and bolt up, but you will need lots of other parts and a new PCM to make it work.

The LS2 motor can be made to produce much more power than the LS7 for a far cheaper cost. A relatively "mild" 224/228 cam, headers, ETC heads, better intake, and tuning in a C6 Vette has made 496 HP at the rear wheels :yesnod Uncorking the headers on the same car pushed the power up to 515 at the rear wheels.

This is way more power than the LS7 makes out of the box and no engine machining is necessary. Cost for this is between 6 and 7 grand....depending on where you get the parts. The cam is mild enough for a daily driver and will pass emissions in most states.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Put the supercharger on the LS2 and get even more power then a stock LS7. You could configure the new LS7 to run with the LS2 Computer system. I dont think a step in the direction of the LS7 is such a good idea. Everything from the intake down is different and will drive up any aftermarket parts to get a little more out of it.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
You better re-read JimmyG's advise. Wiring harness can be a nightmare and as he said, non are available. You might be getting into a year's project and I don't think you will ever be happy you got into it. Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts