Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are quite a few of you so hopefully I will get the answer. Here in Missouri the state requires us to run a front plate but I have not on any of my 3 SSRs for the last 2 1/2 years and never been pulled over or even looked at about it. How about in Texas do they go after you for no plate or let it slide as long as your not doing anything wrong to attract attention?

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
992 Posts
I know there are quite a few of you so hopefully I will get the answer. Here in Missouri the state requires us to run a front plate but I have not on any of my 3 SSRs for the last 2 1/2 years and never been pulled over or even looked at about it. How about in Texas do they go after you for no plate or let it slide as long as your not doing anything wrong to attract attention?
As you’ve surmised, it is legally it is required in Texas. I’ve gotten static from the inspectors off and on over the years at the yearly inspections. It depends on who you get, etc. I know folks that have been cited, but I haven’t been (knocking on wood).

I run Simple Engineering license plate brackets on both our Rs, as I think they tuck down nicely. Also the bracket does stabilize the facia, with or without the plate attached. I’ve had the plates off and then put them on, but anymore I just leave them on and roll. If I want to “get all showy”, the Allen key is in the console and I can pop it off.

I looked at a few random pictures of Houston Costal gatherings, counted noses and it looks like most of us are running front plates, 8 out of 11 in one pic.

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
I know you asked texas, in ohio we just started allowing no front plates as of july 1 2020. However sometime around 2015 no front plate was moved yo be considered a non primary offense. You could not be pulled over just because of the license plate, but if pulled over for another issue they could then provide a citation. Before that it depended on the policeman and i think how you were driving. If he thought you were speeding driving reckless but afaird it wouldn't stick, you would get pulled over for no plate. This from a freind that received a ticket. No points on license, but still a fine

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Most state Troopers and police here in Texas ignore it. Legislature has tried to do away with front plates twice, but, big city toll road people fight it due to their cameras missing tolls. I’ve never been bothered. If I am, I’ll pay the fine and still leave it off.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
They are required in NE. I believe you can pay a extra fee yearly to run w/o which means that they will probably enforce it.

When I redid the front after Bambi attacked it we filled the holes drilled into the grill. I put a SE front bracket on. I put thumb nuts and Never Seize and can take it off if need be. The SE bracket also stabilizes the front fascia.

Dave

'

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was pinched twice for not having one. I think it depends which burg you travel in. I have a SE license plate bracket, unused, if anyone is interested.

Toney

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Yes you can and will get stopped in Texas without a front tag, but mostly by local officers. It gives them a legal reason to stop and look at beautiful SSR. I have Sto N Sho front tag mount #SNS158. Custom made for the SSR. It comes off & on via a spring loaded latch Plus no drill holes!

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,407 Posts

Just one comment on this subject, @Stlhotrod . . .

During most of my career I worked in and around Law Enforcement on a regular basis. When comments about "No Front Plate" or "Dark Tinted Windows" or "Loud Exhaust" etc came up . . . the routine response was always the same. DON'T GIVE THE COPS AN EXCUSE TO PULL YOU OVER. Who knows, they may just find something "Bigger and Better" to process.

Another one of those NOT WORTH THE RISK !

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just one comment on this subject, @Stlhotrod . . .

During most of my career I worked in and around Law Enforcement on a regular basis. When comments about "No Front Plate" or "Dark Tinted Windows" or "Loud Exhaust" etc came up . . . the routine response was always the same. DON'T GIVE THE COPS AN EXCUSE TO PULL YOU OVER. Who knows, they may just find something "Bigger and Better" to process.

Another one of those NOT WORTH THE RISK !

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !
(y)(y)(y)(y)

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,897 Posts
On topic/off Texas though. Our Hot Rod clubs got the law changed here but it is a whole boon doggle to deal with.
1. You can run a rear plate only on a custom or Hot Rod.
2. You have to turn in your old plates and fill out three pages of paperwork as to why you are turning them in.
3. You have to fill out an additional three pages of paperwork for the "Rear Plate Only".
4. You have to swear you will not drive more then 7500 miles a year and give them your starting mileage.
5. You have to pay $25 extra for the special one plate only to be made.
6. You have to pay another $25 extra fee if it is a Personal Vanity plate.
7. You get a temporary paper plate until the metal one is made.
8. Takes a couple of weeks to get the new plate.
9. The plate comes in the mail and says REAR PLATE ONLY on it and the instruction card says must not be displayed on the front.
10. Now you are legal.

Only took me a couple days to get everything together and pay a boat load of money but I won and am legal. The funny part is I only ran a rear plate before this all started. I think they wanted to make it so confusing, complicated, frustrating and expensive no body would do it. I showed them.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,223 Posts
I'm in Texas and in the '60's my '55 Chevy with no Front bumper ran without a front plate. I've been stopped a number of times over the years, but NEVER got a ticket. This year in Kathy's '03 Monte Carlo SS. No front Plate and failed to single making a right turn. I'm a lousy driver!! I think it depends which side of the bed the Officer got up on. Ever since they passed Conceal carry Permits, whatever I get stopped for, I give it to them with my Drivers License, and truly believe it had influence in me NOT getting a ticket.

Nick

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,319 Posts
Nick is absolutely right. I live in the Houston area...lots of traffic but have never run a front tag since buying my SSR. I guess its just a roll of the dice until I do run into the officer that is having a bad day.

Attachments

·
High Plains Roadster
222 Posts
You might try working this from the top versus the bottom. In Wyoming one of our State legislators had an SSR and didn’t like punching holes in the front for a plate. He got a law passed exempting vehicles designed without front plate frames from the requirement to display it. My county MVA folks gave me a copy of the regulation and recommended I keep it in my SSR along with the extra plate just in case I meet a Trooper who might not know about the exception. I keep both in the little compartment under the cargo hatch.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Here are two defense's against the dreaded traffic ticket. For those of you who already have a ticket, go pay the ticket and pay one dollar more then the amount. the court must issue you a refund for the dollar and wait for you to cash the refund before they can close the case and ding your license, so you never cash the refund and they can't close the case, it stays open in limbo and never appears on your record. The best thing to do is ask the cop what will happen if you don't sign the ticket, and he will tell you he will take you to jail. Then you happily sign the ticket and under your signature you print " signed under duress, UCC-1-308 " and the ticket will never see the light of day. You have retained all of your rights. works every time. You must understand that what they call a citation is actually a three party contract, between you, the officer, and the city, county, or the State, depending on who he works for. Because it's a contract it falls under contract law and under the law they can't force you or compel you under duress to sign a contract. The threat of jail puts you under duress. As soon as the Prosecutor or D.A. see's the ticket it's all over but the crying on their part. You will not see or here from them on the matter..

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,223 Posts
Here are two defense's against the dreaded traffic ticket. For those of you who already have a ticket, go pay the ticket and pay one dollar more then the amount. the court must issue you a refund for the dollar and wait for you to cash the refund before they can close the case and ding your license, so you never cash the refund and they can't close the case, it stays open in limbo and never appears on your record. The best thing to do is ask the cop what will happen if you don't sign the ticket, and he will tell you he will take you to jail. Then you happily sign the ticket and under your signature you print " signed under duress, UCC-1-308 " and the ticket will never see the light of day. You have retained all of your rights. works every time. You must understand that what they call a citation is actually a three party contract, between you, the officer, and the city, county, or the State, depending on who he works for. Because it's a contract it falls under contract law and under the law they can't force you or compel you under duress to sign a contract. The threat of jail puts you under duress. As soon as the Prosecutor or D.A. see's the ticket it's all over but the crying on their part. You will not see or here from them on the matter..
Hmmm interesting. The overpayment I would do--the other I probably wouldn't. My luck, Murphy, his law, would show up and I'd end up IN JAIL:p:cool: I'll keep showing my CCL License and cross my fingers.

Nick

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,897 Posts
That would not work in Alaska as they changed the ticket status to a non arrestable offense. If the person refused to sign their ticket we just wrote refused in that box and gave them their copy along with a Have A Nice Day, and left.

·
Premium Member
2004 SSR
10 Posts
I got stopped for that reason ( no front plate ) and was given a warning ticket by DPS.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
could it be some are moving to Florida, because they don`t have to run plates in the front. One problem in Florida people don`t know it`s illegal to back in to parking because the police can`t read the plates. a lot of laws, yea, some are not enforced, by some. just kidding about people coming to Florida because of no front plate. Maybe no state taxes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts