Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start this as "What I did with my SSR today!" I installed new chrome exterior door handles purchased at the Branson swap meet.

I started with the passenger side, removed door panel then the handle as detailed in Dicktators drive (thanks again @Dicktator !)
Upon comparison, I realize the two handles are not identical! The arm mechanism is different. See picture...

Apparently, the later model year, in this case a handle from 2006, as compared to my date code 2003 stock satin handle has a two sided arm. However it does have the same hole location for the bar as on my 2003 handle. I removed the plastic collar from the original into the hole on the new handle and voila... Functioning handle!

Now to the real question....I began to do the driver side. Removal a piece of cake as before. Now compare the new "chrome" handle and it's mechanism matches the one I just removed, not different as on the passenger side. Hmmm.... I check the date code on the new handle and it is 2003 just like the satin one i just removed.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, chrome was not an option on an 03 handle. So I believe I purchased one 06 chrome passenger handle and one 03 polished driver handle. Thoughts anyone?
I certainly thought I was purchasing 2 chrome handles.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,702 Posts
No, there is no difference in the handles between years. One design......

The problem you are dealing with is that the handle you thought was the right side is actually configured to be the tailgate handle. They are completely interchangeable, as long as you change the pivot. Simply remove the double sided pawl off the tailgate handle and install the single sided pawl from the old right door handle... Voila!!!! You will then have a chromed right door handle. If you put the double sided part onto the old right door handle, you will then have a spare tailgate handle....

Make sense?????

Mike

·
My First Permagrin !
562 Posts
Hi @Firetruck
I picked up a chrome rear tailgate handle and that’s exactly what mine looked like . I think all of the handles had a 2003 mold stamp and in 2006 they just chromed them . Dave

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi @Firetruck
I picked up a chrome rear tailgate handle and that’s exactly what mine looked like . I think all of the handles had a 2003 mold stamp and in 2006 they just chromed them . Dave
The passenger/tailgate (I understand the handle difference now) is definitely stamped with 06. The driver side is stamped 03 just as my original. So if chrome wasn't an option then, any idea how a polished one will hold it's shine as compared to a chrome handle?

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The problem you are dealing with is that the handle you thought was the right side is actually configured to be the tailgate handle. They are completely interchangeable, as long as you change the pivot. Simply remove the double sided pawl off the tailgate handle and install the single sided pawl from the old right door handle... Voila!!!! You will then have a chromed right door handle. If you put the double sided part onto the old right door handle, you will then have a spare tailgate handle....

Make sense?????

Mike
Thanks Mike, explains the handle difference.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Definite difference in the "sheen". So if one side polished, will it weather differently to a dull finish again unlike the chrome?
The only thing you need to worry about is if Mrs Firetruck is happy with here polished door handle. I can get it Chromed for you if you want.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,029 Posts
Definite difference in the "sheen". So if one side polished, will it weather differently to a dull finish again unlike the chrome?
All you show is the back half of the handles, to comment on the sheen or plating you are asking about a front image would be needed. I kind of doubt that one is polished aluminum and one is chromed but need to see what you are looking at. More likely one is OEM chrome and one aftermarket perhaps? Or maybe one is just a poor chrome job from factory?

The current trucks nowadays that have "chrome" bumpers are pretty sad. There is little to no shine on them, looks kind of like chrome but done very poorly with lots of pits. Maybe trying to save some pennys I guess but looks horrid. I would have to take them off and redo them or paint over it.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,030 Posts

Make sense?????

Mike
Absolutely right Mike! Right side, Satin or Chrome, 03 - 06 is the same as tailgate, "except" for attaching.

Dicktator

·
My First Permagrin !
562 Posts
Hi @Firetruck
I polished all of my handles 2 years ago . I swapped out the right door last year for a NOS chrome tailgate one and switched out the pivot like @Mike in AZ said .
The polished one looks close but not as shiny as the chrome one .
Close enough for me and nobody ever notices the difference . Dave

·
SSR Believer
1,052 Posts
I bought a NOS chrome RH door/tailgate handle a little while back but have yet to find a true chrome LH door handle. Do they ever come up or should I just plan on having mine polished or chromed?

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I don't have the answer. I thought when I purchased mine I was buying 2 chrome handles. The polished looks ok, not quite as shiny but I'm just concerned that it will dull over time as compared to the true chrome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts