Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are picking up our new SSR next week. I wanted to ask before hand about a couple of things.

1. Is there wiring for the trailer hook up included? If so, what configuration is it (flat 4 wire, round 6 wire, etc.)?

2. What (and how good) are the headlight and driving light bulbs? One of the first things I did to our new GTO was to replace the factory bulbs with bulbs from www.hoen-usa.com because the factory bulbs, while good, were still the standard yellowish looking stuff. The GTO uses an H11 low, H9 high and a 9005 driving light bulb. What about the SSR?

3. I have read a bit about the windows and the lack of a felt on the gasket. Is that still true for the new ones now or has it been addressed? Will I need to get my tint dude to take care of that? If so, can someone recommend the best for Northern Virginia. I used LA Tint in Dale City for the GTO and they did a great job with a lifetime warranty, but I don't know (haven't called them yet) if they can do the SSR the right way.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I think of them, but thanks in advance for helping a soon-to-be new SSR owner.

Diggs

·
Registered
413 Posts
there is a wiring harness for trailer taped to main harness on lr frame rail about even with rear edge of tire There is no plug attached so you can add whichever you need.As for lights they are fine in my opinion but to each his own No felt on gasket but not a problem on mine

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forum faux-pax??

Diggs said:
We are picking up our new SSR next week. I wanted to ask before hand about a couple of things.

1. Is there wiring for the trailer hook up included? If so, what configuration is it (flat 4 wire, round 6 wire, etc.)?

2. What (and how good) are the headlight and driving light bulbs? One of the first things I did to our new GTO was to replace the factory bulbs with bulbs from www.hoen-usa.com because the factory bulbs, while good, were still the standard yellowish looking stuff. The GTO uses an H11 low, H9 high and a 9005 driving light bulb. What about the SSR?

3. I have read a bit about the windows and the lack of a felt on the gasket. Is that still true for the new ones now or has it been addressed? Will I need to get my tint dude to take care of that? If so, can someone recommend the best for Northern Virginia. I used LA Tint in Dale City for the GTO and they did a great job with a lifetime warranty, but I don't know (haven't called them yet) if they can do the SSR the right way.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I think of them, but thanks in advance for helping a soon-to-be new SSR owner.

Diggs
I hope I did not break some unwritten message board rule (not just this one, any board) by quoting myself.

1. I found the trailer wiring and will solder a flat 4 wire connector in place this weekend.

2. I am replacing the headlights and driving lights on the SSR. The H11 low beam and 9005 high beam are coming from www.hoen-usa.com and the driving lights I will pick up locally. They come with an 898 bulb, but I am replacing it with an 893 SilverStar. The 898 is a 27w bulb and the 893 is the same configuration but in a 38w. The SilverStars are very white and clear. The xenonmatch plus bulbs from Hoen are also very good. I put them in my new GTO and the difference is very noticeable.

3. I have an appointment for Monday to have the windows tinted. We are going with 35% tint on the sides and rear. I know the rear window is already pretty dark, but adding the good tint will make it darker and also protect the rear window defroster. The installer said not to worry about the rubber versus felt on the doors. The warranty is life time and includes scratches.

Diggs

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Glad to hear that about the lifetime warranty. My driver's side window has a vertical scratch on it and they ordered a new one but the factory sent a passenger window by mistake so now we have to wait all over again. The dealership is certainly doing their very best to make it right. :flag

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts
I'm sure the shop you're using understands the local requirements but it's funny how many people I've seen put tinting on front side windows that end up having to remove it after getting a fix it ticket.

Tinting of the front driver's side and passenger's side window is illegal/restricted (at least in CA). CA only allows the factory supplied tint (usually a small amount at best) on the front driver's/passenger's side window.

I found this chart while researching this issue: Tinting Restrictions by State -> http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/State Law Chart.htm

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Lifetime warranty against scratches in tint?

Diggs said:
I hope I did not break some unwritten message board rule (not just this one, any board) by quoting myself.

1. I found the trailer wiring and will solder a flat 4 wire connector in place this weekend.

2. I am replacing the headlights and driving lights on the SSR. The H11 low beam and 9005 high beam are coming from www.hoen-usa.com and the driving lights I will pick up locally. They come with an 898 bulb, but I am replacing it with an 893 SilverStar. The 898 is a 27w bulb and the 893 is the same configuration but in a 38w. The SilverStars are very white and clear. The xenonmatch plus bulbs from Hoen are also very good. I put them in my new GTO and the difference is very noticeable.

3. I have an appointment for Monday to have the windows tinted. We are going with 35% tint on the sides and rear. I know the rear window is already pretty dark, but adding the good tint will make it darker and also protect the rear window defroster. The installer said not to worry about the rubber versus felt on the doors. The warranty is life time and includes scratches.

Diggs
Better get that warranty in writing. I have been connected with tinting for nigh on to 20 years and never knew anyone stupid enough to warrant tint against scratching! It is difficult to see how such a person stays in business unless he is charging an outrageous price. Maybe he can afford to replace it when the kids,dogs, and everybody else scratches it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point

zainossr said:
Better get that warranty in writing. I have been connected with tinting for nigh on to 20 years and never knew anyone stupid enough to warrant tint against scratching! It is difficult to see how such a person stays in business unless he is charging an outrageous price. Maybe he can afford to replace it when the kids,dogs, and everybody else scratches it.
I will make sure that warranty is in writing. If he will not put it in writing, he is not getting my business.

Diggs

T

·
0 Posts
one more thing---why are people so interested in getting a lifetime warranty on window tinting? you just paid close to $50K for a truck with a 3 year warranty.
a quick clue here--NO film lasts a lifetime. if you get 5-7 years out of your film, you got a good film. and you have to pay more than $89.99 to get a good film. there are films out there that turn purple in one texas summer that have a lifetime warranty on them. (notice the warranty cards don't say anything about color change or fading) just because they tell you it has a lifetime warranty, doesn't mean you're getting a good deal.

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
tint

You couldn't have said it any better.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. I didn't mean to open a can of worms.

The Formula One tint warranty does include scratches. Not every level of their tint, but the Ultimate does. It is a national warranty. I certainly know the difference between a dyed tint and the good stuff. Your dyed stuff may go purple but the tint on our Grand Am GT looked like the day it was installed after 5 years. Then we traded that car for a new GTO. I took it back to the same guys. They did the SSR yesterday.

Who told me about protecting the rear window defroster? My common sense told me. Of course, I was just making a simple post about the fact that the window was already dark, but I wanted it also protected and protecting.

I'm sure you know much more than I do about tinting, but jeez, do you have to be so condescending?

Diggs

·
Registered
601 Posts
Diggs,

Did you say that you are going to use LA Tint. I have used them in the past. The Tint Shop gave me the name of someone on the area that does tint and will fix the scratching problem. Let me know haow they did. I am looking to take a JEep wrangler and the SSR to be tinted. Let me know how much they are charging. I am looking to put 20% tint on everything but the back window of the SSR. I am doing 35% on that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LA Tint

Brownhornet said:
Diggs,

Did you say that you are going to use LA Tint. I have used them in the past. The Tint Shop gave me the name of someone on the area that does tint and will fix the scratching problem. Let me know haow they did. I am looking to take a JEep wrangler and the SSR to be tinted. Let me know how much they are charging. I am looking to put 20% tint on everything but the back window of the SSR. I am doing 35% on that.
I used LA Tint in Woodbridge for the new GTO and the SSR. The GTO was $249 for the pinnacle ceramic film and the SSR was $169 for the Ultimate. Here are a couple of pictures. I plan to take some better ones this weekend, but I just went out and did a quick California duster to get some pollen off and snapped a few shots.

This is not a picture of the tint, I just like the shot.

Diggs

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
thetintshop said:
. i won't say anything bad about LA Tint, but i do know the guy who used to work there. and he wasn't paid according to his skills. good tinters expect a certain percentage, and they pay well below that. so take that as you may.
$169 for an SSR in Ultimate is too cheap. you should have paid at least $75-$100 more than that.
Sure glad you're not going to say anything bad about them......... :glol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts