Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size are the bolts that hold the running board mounting brackets to the frame? 3/8", M10 or something else.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
M10x1.5 should be right. Buy one and test it for both fit and length. As I remember, when I pulled them out of the box, they were pretty long. You need to have adequate length to reach all the way through the nut-sert in the frame to get good engagement. Probably about 35mm long.

I have nor found any SAE hardware on the truck yet.

Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick answer. I suspected they were M10.

While on the subject, does the factory running board use a threaded insert ( in the board ) and a similar size bolt to attach to the mounting bracket?

There is a story behind these questions which I will share later.

Thanks again.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
I think the boards are held to the brackets with 6 x 1.0 bolts. I remember using a 10mm socket to install them. They are pretty long too, as they have to pass through the black stiffener that is the strength of the board before going into the insert in the plastic of the upper part of the running board.

I'm questioning my memory now, as I gave some bum info a couple days ago..... reminding me that I DON'T know everything.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running Boards

Thanks Mike for the quick replies. For all that are interested, here is the story behind the questions.

The aftermaket running boards that some of you may have seen on Ebay. They are made by Carlisle Engineered Products. This is an OEM for automotive parts. Appear to be reputable company and supply parts to the Big Three. I ordered a pair of running boards last month along with a set of OEM mounting brackets ( same seller: he works for Carlisle). Note: Mounting brackets are made by different company. The boards came in about two weeks ago. Color matched my SSR and overall quality of product was good. However, there was no mounting hardware. No threaded inserts in the mounting locations just 3/8" diameter thru holes. E-mailed seller about how boards mount to the brackets. He replied back that all necessary mounting hardware would come with brackets. So far, so good.

Brackets arrive today. They were late do to problem with his supplier. Here are my problems now:

1. SSR frame has M10 threaded inserts for use with M10 bolts. Seller sends 1/2" mounting bolts. The bracket clearance holes are 9/16" in diameter, too large for M10 bolt.

2. Received what I think were the mounting bolts and lockwashers for the boards. Not sure what size, but looked to be #8. Doubt if they were metric. Seller sends nothing else. No inserts for the boards. Mounting brackets have elongated holes 7/16" wide. No threads in board and clearance hole in bracket twice the size of the supplied bolt.

3. Mounting bracket are labeled Front LH/RH, Center RH/LH and Rear LH/RH. Front brackets are made right and left hand. Center bracket are both made the same and so are the rear brackets. Can't mount. so I don't know what I really have.

Have e-mailed seller about my issues. Can't wait to hear the answers.

Any comments from the forum are welcomed.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Someone else can help here too....

I only put these on from the box once and threw the instructions out afterward, so my memeory is all that remains.... I believe there are four different P/N for the braces. LF, RF and RR are unique. The other three use the same P/N brace. The running board is built in two pieces and then pop riveted together. The black ribbed part should have 6 holes that are pass-thrus to the upper piece that has the threaded inserts.

The bracket mounting holes for the frame attachment are a little bigger than necessary, but only by 1 or 2 mm.

Does not look like a drop-in set of hardware to me.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
Oharrell,

I also purchased the boards from Carlisle. I have the stock satin boards and brackets on my truck, and purchased the boards unpainted, so I could have a set of yellow boards. The price was OK, at $125/pair unpainted.

I took a glance at mine, and put them into storage. They came with some blind mounting studs that push into the plastic board, and would appear to expand once in place. Sure hope so, because they didn't have much holding them in place, and unless they lock in in some way, would be impossible to remove if any corrosion set in.

They also came with the non-skid unattached, which is great. I can paint them first, then attach the non skid. The non-skid appears to have less texture than the stock ones - quite shiny in appearance.

Now that you have concerns with yours, I'll pull mine out of storage, and have a closer look at them.

Hopefully I can report back on them in a couple of days. Mostly, I want to make sure I can mount them.

The EBay info said Carlisle was an alternative supplier - looks like this is an attempt to recoup some of their development costs.

They were VERY slow delivering the product, and their feedback indicated that. I didn't leave any negative feedback on EBay, because I didn't want any retaliation.

ADDITION: Mike must have been typing at the same time. I think he's describing the stock boards. The Carlisle set don't have a pop riveted lower reinforcement. Not sure the Carlisle unit will be as strong - definitely wouldn't want to use it as a step.

Ray

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flassh said:
Oharrell,

I also purchased the boards from Carlisle. I have the stock satin boards and brackets on my truck, and purchased the boards unpainted, so I could have a set of yellow boards. The price was OK, at $125/pair unpainted.

I took a glance at mine, and put them into storage. They came with some blind mounting studs that push into the plastic board, and would appear to expand once in place. Sure hope so, because they didn't have much holding them in place, and unless they lock in in some way, would be impossible to remove if any corrosion set in.

They also came with the non-skid unattached, which is great. I can paint them first, then attach the non skid. The non-skid appears to have less texture than the stock ones - quite shiny in appearance.

Now that you have concerns with yours, I'll pull mine out of storage, and have a
closer look at them.

Hopefully I can report back on them in a couple of days. Mostly, I want to make sure I can mount them.

The EBay info said Carlisle was an alternative supplier - looks like this is an attempt to recoup some of their development costs.

They were VERY slow delivering the product, and their feedback indicated that. I didn't leave any negative feedback on EBay, because I didn't want any retaliation.

ADDITION: Mike must have been typing at the same time. I think he's describing the stock boards. The Carlisle set don't have a pop riveted lower reinforcement. Not sure the Carlisle unit will be as strong - definitely wouldn't want to use it as a step.

Ray

I have always had good luck with aftermarket parts in the past. In most cases they were just as good as factory parts for half the price. This doesn't appear to be the case with these boards and brackets.

Seller stated in earlier e-mail that he would refund money if not satisifed with products. Unless he can convince me of a reliable method for mounting, he'll be getting them back and I will take this experience as a lesson learned.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I'm just curious as to why the seller of the boards would not supply the mounting hardware as well....did you ever ask him why he didn't?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW_FCTR said:
I'm just curious as to why the seller of the boards would not supply the mounting hardware as well....did you ever ask him why he didn't?

After I received the boards, I e-mailed the seller about how the boards fasten to the brackets since there was no threaded inserts in the boards themselves. Seller e-mailed back and said 6mm studs with inserts would come with the mounting brackets.

Seller had no explanation as to why he sent all the wrong mounting hardware with the brackets but said he would send me the correct fasteners.

Right now, I would not recommend this guys product to anyone else.

·
Registered
221 Posts
oharrell2 said:
Right now, I would not recommend this guys product to anyone else.
:agree

1 - 11 of 11 Posts