Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever use these? They have a RADAR DIMAX R8+ In our STOCK sizes. And even a 315-35-20 as an option. They have a checkered flag sidewall. and they are CHEAP!!!!!! Tried to load a picture, but failed. D

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,918 Posts
These are rated quite well and have an XL load rating which is good. They are UHP tires with a 320 tread wear so wont last real long but will be sticky.
Company is part of the Omni Group based in Singapore with manufacturing in "Asia" so no idea where these are actually made.
Go for it and let us know how they are.
I have a set of Atturos made in Korea and love them.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
:|

Any of you remember/recall the disasters many years ago with using Firestone Tires.:surprise:

Of course there have been other brand problems as well, but my point is although a full set of tires is and can be quite expensive..........Your azz and your passengers azz as well as what could be innocent by standers, are and can be effected by using (No name and/or "off brand" tires).:frown2:

I want to save a buck ( or more) as well as the next guy......but going the "cheap" on a set of tires on a heavy sled like an SSR with a big motor, etc. Maybe it just is NOT where ya wanna try and go low on price and quality.:wink2:

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, they are in the same price range as the atturos that several guys around here really like. And come in the our stock sizes. D

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,918 Posts
:|

Any of you remember/recall the disasters many years ago with using Firestone Tires.:surprise:

Of course there have been other brand problems as well, but my point is although a full set of tires is and can be quite expensive..........Your azz and your passengers azz as well as what could be innocent by standers, are and can be effected by using (No name and/or "off brand" tires).:frown2:

I want to save a buck ( or more) as well as the next guy......but going the "cheap" on a set of tires on a heavy sled like an SSR with a big motor, etc. Maybe it just is NOT where ya wanna try and go low on price and quality.:wink2:
The US made Firestones involved were not cheap tires.
My son worked for Firestone when that was going on. While Firestone was not without fault, Firestone took the hit for Ford. The first generation Ford Explorer could not pass the NHTSA testing as it was prone to loss of control and rollovers in emergency maneuvers. They had two options, lower the vehicle with shorter springs, widen the track, both required major costly redesign. Ford discovered that lowering the tire pressure from 35 to 26 psi lowered the vehicle and improved the stability and ride passing the govt tests. The lower pressures reduced the fuel mileage so Ford reduced the roof structure and lightened the suspension raising the center of gravity even more. When the tires failed the vehicle was so unstable that drivers lost control rolled and the roof collapsed injuring or killing the occupants.
Ford convinced Firestone to warranty the tires at this lower pressure although the lower air pressure was not recommended by Firestone. The tires were manufactured in Firestones IL facility which had labor, quality and inspection issues.
The lower pressure resulted in excessive sidewall flexing of the tires and increased temperatures. In warmer climates the higher temperatures caused extreme internal temps degrading the tire structures and eventually resulting in belt and tread separation.
Ford redesigned the Explorer in 2002 and raised tire pressures to 30 psi. Firestone redesigned the tires in 2000. Ford dropped Firestone as a supplier after over 80 years of partnership.
So now you know "the rest of the story"
Since then the US and Europe required any tires sold there meet strict specifications and quality standards. Tire failures due to manufacturing defects are almost non existent now.

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The US made Firestones involved were not cheap tires.
My son worked for Firestone when that was going on. While Firestone was not without fault, Firestone took the hit for Ford. The first generation Ford Explorer could not pass the NHTSA testing as it was prone to loss of control and rollovers in emergency maneuvers. They had two options, lower the vehicle with shorter springs, widen the track, both required major costly redesign. Ford discovered that lowering the tire pressure from 35 to 26 psi lowered the vehicle and improved the stability and ride passing the govt tests. The lower pressures reduced the fuel mileage so Ford reduced the roof structure and lightened the suspension raising the center of gravity even more. When the tires failed the vehicle was so unstable that drivers lost control rolled and the roof collapsed injuring or killing the occupants.
Ford convinced Firestone to warranty the tires at this lower pressure although the lower air pressure was not recommended by Firestone. The tires were manufactured in Firestones IL facility which had labor, quality and inspection issues.
The lower pressure resulted in excessive sidewall flexing of the tires and increased temperatures. In warmer climates the higher temperatures caused extreme internal temps degrading the tire structures and eventually resulting in belt and tread separation.
Ford redesigned the Explorer in 2002 and raised tire pressures to 30 psi. Firestone redesigned the tires in 2000. Ford dropped Firestone as a supplier after over 80 years of partnership.
So now you know "the rest of the story"
Since then the US and Europe required any tires sold there meet strict specifications and quality standards. Tire failures due to manufacturing defects are almost non existent now.
Wow, cool story I like to learn stuff like that. The radar dimaxr8+ are rated at 320 treadwear, kinda soft but higher than the goodyear RSA tires. 525.00 at simpletire.com for 2 front and 2 rears in our sizes. Not sure if they charge tax or not. Just don't know about that sidewall pattern? D

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Wow, cool story I like to learn stuff like that. The radar dimaxr8+ are rated at 320 treadwear, kinda soft but higher than the goodyear RSA tires. 525.00 at simpletire.com for 2 front and 2 rears in our sizes. Not sure if they charge tax or not. Just don't know about that sidewall pattern? D
Simpletire.com is a great company to deal with. I bought a set of tires from them last year. After having them mounted I decided I just didn’t like them. I called simpletire and they said if your not happy with them for any reason return them and we will give you a full refund. I did and they did. I purchased another set from them and everybody lived happily ever after.

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts
Just don't know about that sidewall pattern? D
I don't think I would like it either. I use Zaino tire cleaner, which leaves a very dry black satin look - not that slimy look so many of the tire dressings leave behind. Even with the Zaino, which is the consistency of milk, I had to go back and clean the ribbed area of the OEM Goodyears. The Nitto Invos have a very clean sidewall, and so do the Continental DWS. I think the sidewall on these would lead to a lot of cleaning to try to remove excess dressing, and if you're using one of the slimy ones, the tires will sling it up onto the fenders.

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think I would like it either. I use Zaino tire cleaner, which leaves a very dry black satin look - not that slimy look so many of the tire dressings leave behind. Even with the Zaino, which is the consistency of milk, I had to go back and clean the ribbed area of the OEM Goodyears. The Nitto Invos have a very clean sidewall, and so do the Continental DWS. I think the sidewall on these would lead to a lot of cleaning to try to remove excess dressing, and if you're using one of the slimy ones, the tires will sling it up onto the fenders.
I like to keep my tires clean, and usually don't slick them up. I do sometimes use those satin armoral wipes. I too don't like real shiny tires. One time I look at them an think they are cool, the next time, not so much. D

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,036 Posts
I like to keep my tires clean, and usually don't slick them up. I do sometimes use those satin armoral wipes. I too don't like real shiny tires. One time I look at them an think they are cool, the next time, not so much. D
Like I said before do my tires and mud flaps and running boards and all rubber items with TOP COAT F-11 after normal wash. No gooey mess and no white marks or residue on the rubber or vinyl like waxes do. If I get some on the wheels just polish it right off. When done all looks like new and I only need one product just change rags for different surfaces.

Reactions: spook

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said before do my tires and mud flaps and running boards and all rubber items with TOP COAT F-11 after normal wash. No gooey mess and no white marks or residue on the rubber or vinyl like waxes do. If I get some on the wheels just polish it right off. When done all looks like new and I only need one product just change rags for different surfaces.[/QUO

Ya one of these days I will try that f11. And speakin of mud flaps that is my next project. I am gonna make a set out of clear lexan. You will have to look twice to notice them. D

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,784 Posts
I just purchased four Dunlop tires for another vehicle with annoying brown streaks on the sidewalls. I tried cleaning it off with not much luck so I used some Meguiar's tire dressing that had been given to me and it did a pretty good job of looking nice and covering the brown streaks.

Dave

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Just tell 'em the brown streaks is the blood of your enemies. ;)

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fuzzy had done that long ago. But he has a custom paint job to protect too.
Cool!!! I made a set back in 1980 for my 69 camaro z28. I put snaps on them, the female part on the clear flap and the male part inside the fender lip. Could take them off at the car shows. D

·
BLU SSR
3,462 Posts
Cool!!! I made a set back in 1980 for my 69 camaro z28. I put snaps on them, the female part on the clear flap and the male part inside the fender lip. Could take them off at the car shows. D
Couple questions on your flaps , did they stay on at "speed" and did they yellow in the sun? I like the idea but wonder how they would stand up to a lot of road use. FYI I still have a 69 Z28 , one of the best investments ever! What color was yours and why did you get rid of it?

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Couple questions on your flaps , did they stay on at "speed" and did they yellow in the sun? I like the idea but wonder how they would stand up to a lot of road use. FYI I still have a 69 Z28 , one of the best investments ever! What color was yours and why did you get rid of it?
Yes I never lost one even on the highways. They were plexiglass back then. I will make them out of lexan this time. Not sure how I will mount them yet. My old ones never did yellow at all. My Z was hugger orange with white stripes. Had the factory crossram on it. Was nov 1982 car craft cover car, with feature story inside. I owned it for 14 years. Wish I still had it. I have had many many muscle cars, just wish I would have kept just one! D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts