Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
shouldn't be, it is pretty open and other then getting the hoses all off it just lifts out. Un plug the fan and it will probably easily lift out with the radiator. I have replaced all my hoses but not pulled the radiator. The hoses were fairly easy on the radiator side, hardest was the lower hose clamp and pulling the lower hose off. Mine was a little soft so I just cut it in half and pulled it out in 2 pieces. You will need to remove the air cleaner box but that opens a lot of space to work in.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,012 Posts
is it hard to change the raditor????/
Actually very straightforward. I had to do it.

Rough instructions from memory.
Removal:
- Remove airbox
- Drain fluid
- Disconnect radiator hoses
- Remove fan, wires and zip ties or Allen bolts retain it.
- Disconnect transmission lines
- Remove top radiator retainer
- Separate from radiator from A/C condenser and slide radiator up. If you are replacing the radiator, you can break the plastic tabs on the radiator that hold the condenser. Otherwise, be patient and slow, they can slide apart.

Prep for easy re-install:
Widen the slot in the condenser on the passenger side where it slides onto radiator. Remove material on the side that has the wedge, not the straight side of the slot. I used a dremel. This a “pro-tip” came to me from @Mike in AZ, when I replaced my radiator with the HD version. It was an upgrade I dreamed of doing, it became a necessity when my radiator bent.

Install:
- Slide in new radiator into place and mate with A/C condenser
- Hook up trans lines
- Hook up radiator hoses.. FWIW: This is a good time to swap in new hoses if needed, and thermostat, and if you want to go the extra mile, radiator hoses. See Simple Engineering website for all. Doing it now saves the draining and replacement of fluid again.
- Install fan & replace top retainer.
- Install air box
- Fill the system with new 50/50 radiator fluid up to the full cold line.
- Start engine and let it burp itself. Keep an eye on fluid level.
- After it is cold, re-check radiator fluid level.

I think I’m pretty close. Others are sure to correct and/or tweak.

- Robert
:silver:

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,051 Posts
I guess I would be saying WHY? Does it leak or overheat. Haven't heard of anyone changing it out before. Maybe needs flushing or new fans or new fan settings etc. Just curious.

Reactions: sillypuddy

·
Registered
16 Posts
How did you support the condenser while changing your radiator? I will be replacing my radiator soon and don't want to remove the condenser lines from the AC compressor which would require evacuating and refilling the AC system.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,012 Posts
How did you support the condenser while changing your radiator? I will be replacing my radiator soon and don't want to remove the condenser lines from the AC compressor which would require evacuating and refilling the AC system.
As I recall, I didn’t have to support it. I was very careful with it. Getting the condenser off the clip on right/passenger side of the radiator was the tougher one, the driver side was easy. You can break the clips off the radiator, if you aren’t going to re-use it. I might have zipped tied the condenser up for the couple days while I was waiting for the new radiator, but that was it.

- Robert
:silver:

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,656 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts