Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only can happen to me but I bought a used SSR with a factory radio (probably not the radio that came in it but a SSR radio none the less). It had a Satellite antenna still mounted on the top, just over the top of the front windshield and centered. It had NO reception except a station within 2 or 3 miles. I purchased a Navigation/AM/FM with back-up camera then subscribed to Sirius. Had installed and Sirius, Nav and back-up camera worked fine. Still no range on the AM/FM, 2 or 3 miles from station. Technician said that there was probably a break somewhere in the windshield antenna and he had no way of finding the break or fixing it if he did. Because most everything from the windshield back moves saw no place to mount an external antenna. I remember some kind of car that had the radio antenna mounted to the pillar on a slant. Has anybody ever had antenna problems? What did you do? What kind of car was that had the slanted antenna on the pillar? I'm not replacing the windshield!!

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Jack, the pillar mount probably is not a good choice. The windshield pillar is simply installed with one screw and double back tape. Yo would have to drill thru that and the structure in order to get it inside. The windshield connection is on the passenger side and really not accessible. My question...was the windshield already replaced? The OEM windshield has the SSR logo lower center. Another problem would be an open in the antenna wire in the windshield. There are FM boosters available also that require +12 to operate.

OLDxR

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Might be something as easy as the AM/FM antenna was cut or not plugged in. A good shop will know which wire it is but I want to say blue/ white. This happened to me when I had an aftermarket radio installed. Problem was I didn’t discover it until I got home 800 miles later.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
972 Posts

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Carl, the linked thread isn’t mine, it’s a thread I found and followed when I was having antenna issues. I see now the photos are no longer showing up.
In a nutshell, I purchased a Metra amplified antenna from Pep Boys (around $20 as I recall) and installed it behind the rear view mirror at the top of the widshield in the dotted/shaded area. I ran the antenna lead inside the upper windshield trim piece, down the inside passenger A-pillar trim and into the dash to the radio. I used the OEM/existing amplified antenna power lead to power it. Mounted where it is, it’s out of most everyone’s sight, unless you’re leaning forward and looking up at the top of the windshield. It gets great AM and FM reception.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,650 Posts
Remember, your OEM SSR Radio is also your Security System.

See flashing red light on radio? Security working.

Just be careful when working or radio module.

Dicktator

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
Windshield antenna can be tested with a simple continuity tester. A lot of them had issues from the factory. Use tester to find break and then use a defroster repair kit available in auto part store for less than $10. Make the patch. Did mine years ago and reception got a whole lot better.
Antenna problems were well documented in earlier threads on the forum.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why do I want AM/FM if I have Sirius? Because I spent $1,200 for a AM/FM/Nav/Back-up and a big part of the package doesn/t work. I'm reaching for straws here but I found one of the Metra UA200 antennas on Google for $19.95 including shipping. If that doesn't work I'll just have to be satisfied with Sirius/Nav/Back-up. Didn't think about the security system. While waiting yesterday at the electronic install stop they had brochures on various products. They had one that if vehicle is stolen can get exact GPS location. It also had remote start. I ask if could remote start the vehicle and identify the exact location, would it kill the ignition? They are checking into it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts