Chevy SSR Forum banner

Radio AUX and a USB thumb drive question

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  darbysan 
#1 ·
Let me start by saying I've done my due diligence and read past posts. But I'm either not seeing what I want or I'm too slow on the uptake to figure it out.

What I want:
A connection to my stock Bose 6-cd radio that would allow me to plug in a thumb drive loaded with music and play using the aux input. ( I dislike haveing to hassle with cd's) I'm not looking for extra bells and whistles like bluetooth, etc.

From what I've read, I understand dash removal will likely be required to gain access to the rear of the radio and to install a new wire harness. I'm ok with that part.

I just can't seem to figure out which product will or can do what I want.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
You will need some kind of a reader that has the capability to decode the digital signal. I do not believe there is access to a digital decoder on the connectors on the radio. There are several people who have done additions to the system and I have not heard of this type of change without changing the head unit itself. Not even sure I remember that type of a change. Good luck in your search, and remember to come back here and tell us if you find something.
Early on I installed a jack so I can plug in an IPOD or other device, but that only provides me with volume control on the steering wheel. All other changes must be made with the IPOD.

#3 ·
I am not sure if the 04 has the same exact radio as the 05/06 but a friend with an 05 had a cable installed that allowed connecting an iPod or similar device. He ran the cable to the glove box and then just hooked up the iPod. He had to pull the radio to attach the cable but he indicated it was pretty simple and he can use all the controls on the wheel.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Hooboy! That's a pricey little bundle. I was hoping for something a little more simple and less expensive. If I can't find something, perhaps I'll rethink my plan. I guess I could load music on my phone and use the wired headphone jack to connect to the radio?? Would that be an easier (cheaper) way to go?

#5 ·
Open the link below. This is a universal unit that allows for USB music input, iPod or iPhone input and Sat Radio tuner connection.
I know someone that installed this in a 95 Chevy truck which may be the same radio unit in our SSRs and it worked great. I gave him a USB with 4100 MP3 songs on it and that's all he listens to now. If I recall it was an easy install too. Note this will NOT add Bluetooth.
Car radio USB adapter interface iPod iPhone rds
Greg

#7 ·
Check out the ROIDMI device. It plugs into your cigarette lighter, acts as a charger for your phone and can play music from your phone through your radio (bluetooth connection from the phone to the ROIDMI unit then it puts out a radio signal your radio picks up one a station you set the unit to). I use it all the time during my travels. It didn't require removal of the dash, cost less than $30 and plays anything you can play on your phone.

#8 ·
But if you are travelling you have to keep changing the station as you run into place that have a station on the frequency you last chose to use.

Reactions: Jersey red
#12 ·
T10 Bluetooth FM Transmitter

Some time ago Frank (Dinerman) introduced us to the T10 Bluetooth transmitter, mine from Amazon, less than $20. It has the be the same on mentioned above from eBay. Mine is set to play through FM radio station 90.1 (few stations in my area that low on the band). It plays Bluetooth linked to my iPhone. It also provides via Bluetooth, hands free phone usage. The part that I like best is the slot that takes a camera SD card upon which you can load hundreds of mp3 songs. As mentioned above there is a USB charging port also. The only downside is that the lighter receptacle on my '04 is not switched, so I have to remember to unplug the unit or it may run the battery down. I still can't believe it's only -$20.

#13 ·
I have the same one, it's great. However I also 3 plug extension where each one has it's own on/off switch. Got it at Wal-Mart for about ten bucks and mounted it right above emergency brake lever. Easy to access and turn off without pulling it out of the dash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.