Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 SSR. The Radio- CD player has go on the blink. Tried some suggested remedies and they don't work. Have ordered a new Radio / CD in dash 6 CD player. Factory OEM

Can any body give me instructions or tutorial on how to take the dash apart to remove and replace the radio/cd player. Does whole dash have to come apart or just the top.? Any diagrams or instructions would help. or a point in the right direction .. Hints or tips also

Big Thanks!!

Layne12gun
Lil Red
North Central Florida.
[email protected]

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,694 Posts
Go to Search box and search "Library", there you'll find info on how to do it.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,619 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,058 Posts
After Radio change you MUST have Dealer program replacement Radio to your SSR VIN#.

Radio will not work and is part of SSR Security System.

Dicktator

Email me, [email protected] I am in Clearwater, we will help you do this.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Guys. Going to take the dash apart tomorrow. Going to do the stepper motors in the instrument cluster at the same time. Check everything.
Thanks for the site information. Dicktator your the best Big think You. i have a friend who has built some hot rods coming over to help me .

Layne12gun

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys. Well With the Tutorial the dash came apart with no complications in 18 minutes. Now Trying to get it back together is another thing. Im having trouble aligning the Air Conditioning duck work with the dash vent louvers . Anybody got a trick on how to do that. ???

Layne12gun

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Hi guys. Well With the Tutorial the dash came apart with no complications in 18 minutes. Now Trying to get it back together is another thing. Im having trouble aligning the Air Conditioning duck work with the dash vent louvers . Anybody got a trick on how to do that. ???

Layne12gun
In case you haven’t noticed yet the vent vanes are extremely fragile. Avoid attempting to use them for prying, etc. I have a 12” piece of 1/4” dowel I use to guide the plenums to line up with the vents. If it’s not too late I would recommend that you look at the cluster lens for scratches. Mine was scratched pretty heavily and I was able to remove most of them with a mild plastic polish.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,736 Posts
Air Duct Alignment

Layne12gun
The foam that was installed by the factory as a "seal" around these ducts frequently deteriorates with age and loses its ability to hold the ducts in place. Velcro may help...see this post:

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/dash-removal-experience-129553/#post2260569

You might also consider removing each vent vane assembly at its upper and lower pins using a plastic pry tool so you can better align the ducts, then reinstalling the vanes after the dash face is reinstalled. It's a bit more work but will save you from the risk of breaking vanes by stuffing a dowel through them to achieve alignment of the ducts.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts

Layne12gun
Use a long narrow screw driver (or similar object) and stick it through the vent veins (be careful to not damage or knock the veins out of their detents). You will need a flashlight to align the duct with the vent. Be careful, get one aligned and push the dash into place. Move from one side to the other.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In case you haven’t noticed yet the vent vanes are extremely fragile. Avoid attempting to use them for prying, etc. I have a 12” piece of 1/4” dowel I use to guide the plenums to line up with the vents. If it’s not too late I would recommend that you look at the cluster lens for scratches. Mine was scratched pretty heavily and I was able to remove most of them with a mild plastic polish.
Mine are good No scratches

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Little Red's radio finally came back from the Repair Depot and I installed it today. Working Great. The Local G.M. Dealership had to do the re-programming but it all went well..
The dash went back together without a hitch and in tack.

I want to take this opportunity to thank " DICKTATOR " for sending me the photo guide pages on the dash removal. They really made a difference. What a wonderful reference source and true gentleman he is. A Big thank you also to all the members that contributed to the success of the project with helpful hints and tips.

The job could not have been done without you.

Im proud to be a member of this forum and own an SSR.

Layne12gun

1 - 13 of 13 Posts