Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of replacing my radio with an after market unit. I want Nav., steering wheel buttons to work, to be able to plug in my GM Sat. receiver, and of course backup camera.

Help and comment appreciated.

Thank you,

Jack

·
Registered
445 Posts
Kenwood DNX 893S(Garmin),Tadi Brothers Backup Camera (great product/reviews, no holes drilled). Interface from Dave Galloway on SSRFanatics. Had to replace RP5-GM11. Not well suited
to Bose Premium as per Dave. All Steering function perfect. There is a Post here on how to run the wires for the Backup Camera with no drilling also.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I went through this a few months back. I spent a lot of time going over specs of different radios ( brands), etc, looking for the right combination of features ( for me). I wanted Bluetooth ( preferably dual, so 2 phones could be connected), knob for volume, navigation with Turn by Turn voice and Lane Identification for turns, Sirius capability, Bose compatibility, Back up camera ( dual camera a +), HD radio as an option.

Many offer navigation, but only a few offer Garmin navigation. I have used Garmin in the past, and was comfortable with their features, so thought that was best. Many of the Nav's offered do not have turn by turn. Some offer it on one model, but not on other's ( Jensen 7022 vs 7021). All required an ability to download upgrades via Windows ( I don't have a windows computer- chromebook all the way). I finally decided to try using my phone for navigation, as many of those programs can be mirrored on the radio as well. I thought this might be prudent, as there are so many available now ( Google, Waze, Navmii, and a bunch of others, most of them FREE). There are new offerings almost monthly. One feature I like on some of them is you can download the maps to your phone on WiFi, and the use of data when you are driving is minimal. You also get up-to-date maps this way, vs having to pay each year for an update ( that is already a yr obsolete when you get it). I like Google Maps, but they do not currently mirror on the radio. I tried a couple of others, and settled on WAZE. Very similar to Google Maps, and once connected, everything can be done from the screen of the radio.

Once I had decided the above, and decided that HD radio would be a nice feature ( should I not want to continue with XM), I leaned toward the Pioneer model AVH-X3800BHS (AVH-X391BHS). If you are going to stick to XM radio, then the AVH-X390BS would be the same model less HD. One reason I selected this is that Pioneer offers an add on module for navigation, should I determine later on that I did not like dealing with the phone for NAV. Only negative for me is that the radio does not have a knob for volume ( buttons instead), but I find that I use the steering wheel controls most of the time anyway.

I installed using an RP4-GM11 adapter. It is essentially the same as the RP5, but uses RCA plugs to connect to the radio for the speakers ( Vs soldering a bunch of wires). The other difference is that the RP5 also integrates On-Star, which I don't have ( and I don't think the SSR came with). You'll Need a GM antenna adapter, and a mounting kit.

If you have questions about other models, I may be able to give some input ( I can look back through my notes)...
HTH

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I copied and printed your research. My SSr's AM & FM is almost useless. Probably because of the windshield antenna? I have YET to make the auto-volume control function. That function was easy to set on my 2014 Indian motorcycle & my old 2002 Chevy Avalanche. I have oldies music on extended C.D,S from way back when. The 6 of them would probably take me to Florida without a repeat? YOUR set-up sounds neat? Wonderful that you understand all of this and share it. Most of the time I have no place to go and nothing to do when I get there?

Bird

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,
Am having similar issues with radio function with RP5-GM11 and need contact info for Dave Galloway.
Tried to search him through the forum site but no luck.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Go to Cruchfield.com they have everything you need to install the radio and tons of radios to choose from

hope this helps

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dave Galloway
Unique Autosound and Security
Tempe AZ
602 748 8398
I have an extra made by him with installation instructions if you are interested.
Just PM me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts