Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up with a solution to boost the radio reception? The SSR doesn't get half the stations I get in my Blazer. I went searching through old threads and some of you mentioned the problem but I didn't see any solutions. Did anyone come up with any ideas???

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
I finally broke down and put XM satellite radio in mine and it works great.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Improvements

I think u shud try what we used 2 do back in the days.......a wire coat hanger!!! :lol Or foil wrap works on my TV mayb it'll work on the SSR radidio???? :thumbs :confused

Any other suggestions 4 this problem???? :)
:cool

·
Registered
98 Posts
Radio Fix

I have to say, I brought mine in twice for poor reception.
The first time the Service Rep claimed they "couldn't duplicate problem". Had no desire to leave it so when I brought it back I showed them how the radio wouldn't pick up a single station in seek mode. Now mind you I am 35 miles from Manhattan so there are plenty of stations.

The fix was a new windshield. I was told that Chevy authorized the replacement and that all SSRs would be eligible for new windshields.

However, I was not able to get any bulletin number and no one else I've communicated with on this board has gotten an automatic replacement.

Sorry to shed more darkness (not light) on this subject.
To me, the reception was just UNacceptable.

BUT, mine was fixed under warranty.

J

·
0 Posts
XM in SSR

lloger said:
I finally broke down and put XM satellite radio in mine and it works great.

Can you tell me which XM you bought and how you mounted it? I got my SSR Saturday and I have an XM Roadie that I was thinking of installing myself. I just can't find a visually pleasing way to put it in there. Thanks! :seeya

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I'd say your case was more extreem than most. Seek failing to lock in on any stations.

Mine locks in fine. The FM stations just sound bad.

The audible symptom is, that when the music hits peak amplitudes, it goes to static.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Someone mentioned on another thread that they too were getting the windshield replaced because the antenna wasn't sealed to the glass but no further word on that. I noticed while sitting in the driver seat and the light is just right that mine antenna looks like it too isn't stuck to the glass. My reception fades in and out on all the stations. I will wait further word on others and for the weather to be less than perfect driving conditions to take it to the dealer. With the top Up I really would like to be able to hear the radio.

Movin-on does your radio now get the signals? :)

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
XM Radio

jim95762 said:
Can you tell me which XM you bought and how you mounted it? I got my SSR Saturday and I have an XM Roadie that I was thinking of installing myself. I just can't find a visually pleasing way to put it in there. Thanks! :seeya
Hey Jim, If you look at page 4 of General Discussion about halfway down you'll find my thread titled "Console Addition". There are pictures there of how I mounted my XM radio. I bought the XM Commander and the only hard part of installation was the power for the radio. Behind the passenger side kick panel there is a factory coupling for the windshield antennae which you just unplug and plug both ends into the relay that comes with the radio. I don't know about the Roadie. I used the XM Commander because it was small enough to fit in the console I built. The radio is the black unit at the top of the new console.

B

·
0 Posts
I had a similar problem on delivery. The problem was caused by a slight crack in the windshield antenna. Rather than replace the windshield, I opted for repair of the antenna. This was done very professionally and is not visable unless you are really searching for it. the reception is now as good as any other car I have owned. The sound, of course, is much better. Hope this helps!

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I am getting from the posts is that this is a common problem but not in all the vehicles. Changing the windshield helped Movin' on. That seems like a lot of trouble. Can the antenna be tested somehow to see if it is working properly? When I hit scan I only come up with 3 stations. My POS work van parked right alongside gets 15.
Now if I follow 17 of 25's advice. :rolleyes: I could drill a hole in the front fender, paint a coat hanger red to match, and using some tin foil splice it in to the antenna wire. Of course I would have to add the proper bends to the hanger for wind resistance. Pics to follow :glol

·
Registered
98 Posts
Reception is Great

Machell,

My reception is now as good as any other car I own.

As far as the trouble to replace the windshield, it really was no trouble. I just dropped it off and picked it up 2 days later. LOL. The replacement was a complete surprise and was not requested by me. I had assumed a loose connection of the antenna lead.

I can't imagine Chevy replacing it on a whim.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
My reception is getting poorer. How many of you out there have had windshield replaced. I need some support when talking to the service dept. I wasn't able to get the drive shaft changed saying ' there is no problem' even though I can hear the ting. I'll try an another dealer.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
You need to talk to a different dealer, if possible. When they changed mine all I had to say was It is making a really strange noise when shifting, they drove it, found it and replaced it. I am again going to bring up the tink noise when the oil is due to change and the radio which I have talked to them before about. Now I can see differences in the color of the antenna and I will have them check it out. Also call GM or email them your list of problems, that worked well too because they actually called the dealer and returned my many calls and follow up after the work was done. Good luck :)

EDIT:
PS what do you mean by stars and stripes grill, we need the 411 and pics. :seeya

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Windshield replacement

I took mine into my dealer Tuesday to have the cup holder replaced and I mentioned again about the radio reception and this time I showed them the light spot in my windshield antennae and they are ordering me a new windshield. When I get it put in I will let you know if it helps the reception. Movin' On had his replaced and said it really helped his reception.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Stars and stripes:

Current state of the country being as there are;
I have put on red, white, blue vinyls on the 3 front grills.

Bit tacky but I think it looks great and show the spirit of the times.

Some of you will see them at our So. Cal. run on the 4th.

Don't know how to post pics yet

·
0 Posts
Radio Fix

I also had poor radio reception and brought up the problem when at my local dealer. They said 1/2" piece of the antenna in the windshield was damaged. They applied a rear defroster repair kit and now it works great and you cannot see the repair. :thumbs
If the radio is not working right make your dealer fix it. When working properly the radio gets great reception.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
saharajohn said:
Stars and stripes:

Current state of the country being as there are;
I have put on red, white, blue vinyls on the 3 front grills.

Bit tacky but I think it looks great and show the spirit of the times.

Some of you will see them at our So. Cal. run on the 4th.

Don't know how to post pics yet
Well I know that we would all love to see your photos, so I hope you get the upload figured out soon.
I have seen the BOW TIE's with The American Flag and The Texas flag on them but I don't know if they are vinyl or something special ordered. Any one know?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts