Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is almost no radio reception in my new SSR. Dealer says it's bad ground and wants to replace my windshield. I am very leary to do this. By attaching an alligator clip to the antenna nob on the window it works okay. Have any of you had this problem and what did you do in your situation? Thanks!

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,153 Posts
If you look closely at the antenna wire going through the windshield you will probably see a break in it somewhere. A continuity tester can also be used to see if wire is intact for the entire length. Its not necessarily a bad ground, but a bad antenna wire.
The factory recommended fix is to replace the windshield. Some of us have used the permatex repair kit to repair the breaks in the antenna. When warranty is near an end thats when we will replace windshield.
You can do a search for antenna and there are several threads on the subject. If the dealer is willing to replace the windshield with no questions then I would suggest doing it. It has been a struggle for some to get it done. It does fix the problem.

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
Just make sure

Just make sure the dealer is replacing the windshield with a OEM windshield not using an outside source!!! Our truck windshields have the SSR logo in the middle of the windshield at the bottom and are better quality than after market windshields... :thumbs

·
OP
8,268 Posts
Don't do it

Do a search on antennas in this forum, there is a fix and it only costs $10 and you can do it yourself, get better reception than with a good working stack antenna and prevent possible leaks you may incur with replacing the windshield.

I understand since it is new that you should not have to incur any trouble or cost, but the antenna is a design flaw.

Send a PM to texster68 on this forum, he sells the antennas
Good luck

G

·
thanks

crazyrtr53 said:
Just make sure the dealer is replacing the windshield with a OEM windshield not using an outside source!!! Our truck windshields have the SSR logo in the middle of the windshield at the bottom and are better quality than after market windshields... :thumbs
i had mine installed and there is no ssr logo . thanks...... this was done with a ourside source ...at the dealers...........i will ask about it ...........thanks again. lisa

G

·
antenna booster

the ssr have an antenna amplifier at the a pillar and windshield make sure it is good. i have seen those cause poor reception

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,153 Posts
When I first tried the repair kit it did not work. I went back and tested the antenna with a continuity tester. I found a third break in the antenna up near the connection point. It was almost invisible to the naked eye. A very small break. When I repaired that it now works fine.
One way to check if it is the windshield antenna is to take a test lead (3 foot piece of wire) and touch the end to the metal part of the connecting point on the windshield. Hang the wire over the top of the frame and see if you get better reception. If it doesn't improve the problem is prior to that point. If it helps then the problem is in the windshield.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
I'll Give It A Try

dingbat said:
When I first tried the repair kit it did not work. I went back and tested the antenna with a continuity tester. I found a third break in the antenna up near the connection point. It was almost invisible to the naked eye. A very small break. When I repaired that it now works fine.
One way to check if it is the windshield antenna is to take a test lead (3 foot piece of wire) and touch the end to the metal part of the connecting point on the windshield. Hang the wire over the top of the frame and see if you get better reception. If it doesn't improve the problem is prior to that point. If it helps then the problem is in the windshield.

Thanks for the info dinbat-I'll give it a try and see what happens!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.