Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I give the truck gas, the radio makes static noises. Any tips on why it does and how to stop it?

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
When I give the truck gas, the radio makes static noises. Any tips on why it does and how to stop it?
OEM or aftermarket radio? Aftermarket radio installers sometimes tie grounds from the different components together and/or use the original radio harness ground for the new components. This can cause a ground loop, which can cause static. Try grounding components separately.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OEM or aftermarket radio? Aftermarket radio installers sometimes tie grounds from the different components together and/or use the original radio harness ground for the new components. This can cause a ground loop, which can cause static. Try grounding components separately.
Factory radio :-/

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Did the static recently start, or has it always been there?
What, if any work has been done to the truck recently (spark plugs, plug wires)?
What does the static sound like...does it change with RPM?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the static recently start, or has it always been there?
What, if any work has been done to the truck recently (spark plugs, plug wires)?
What does the static sound like...does it change with RPM?
Only had the truck a few months so I'm not sure.
Does it when you hit the gas and the truck is under a load.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,430 Posts
===============================================

Personally speaking, I see you have an LS2 (an '05) so I would just turn off the stinkin' stereo and listen to that "sweet underhood sound".

:laugh: :laugh: :thumbs

============
David :black:

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
OK, here’s a few things to check that can cause RF noise; non-resistor spark plugs, non-resistor spark plug wires, bad alternator, bad radio ground, bad radio antenna connection.

If all else fails, run it by a car radio/stereo shop for a listen.

·
Dr Who
649 Posts
Does it do it in all modes....am, fm, cd? Does changing the balance from left to right, front to back make any difference?

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,933 Posts
do you know if the alternator was changed ? were you next to a Ford when this happens ? Dr Who has some good suggestions. Also check antenna is plugged in all the way if only in radio mode.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
You can try unplugging the small connector at the alternator and noise goes away it may suggest the alternator capacitor is bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts