Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand how the little red light on the radio works (6-CD version, upper left area of the radio control head). I believe it should blink when the vehicle is shut down and locked, but I've only seen in come on once in the two weeks since I took delivery. The owner's manual under the TheftLock paragraph says that "when the radio and vehicle are turned off, the blinking red light indicates that THEFTLOCK is armed. How do you arm THEFTLOCK? Does the radio have to be left on when you turn the key off for it to blink? Does using the key FOB invalidate the process since this is how I normally lock the vehicle when I have shut it down. Since I have seen a number of other funnies, it would not surprise me that I have a instrumentation data bus problem (DIC display is not always blank at start-up, the voltmeter gauge is pegged at near 16 volts although the voltage measures 13.9 VDC at the engine compartment fake battery post).

D

·
0 Posts
mine was like that the first couple of weeks that I had it - then it behaved like I expected (blinking when the truck was shut down) Someone told me that the radio has to "learn" your truck's VIN - then it is "married" to it....

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The LED isn't what you think it's for...

There are three different security features in the SSR

THEFTLOCK® - The feature of the radio that learns the VIN and will not allow the radio to operate unless it's installed the correct vehicle. When the radio and vehicle are turned off, the blinking red light is part of the THEFTLOCK arming cycle.

PASSLOCK® - This is something built into the ignition lock cylinder. If a thief trys to steel the vehicle by ripping out the lock cylinder, an interlock prevents fuel from reaching the engine. Indicates operation via an icon in the dashboard. Lights up while the engine is being started or when this security feature is tripped.

CONTENT THEFT-DETERRENT (CTD)- Activated with the console lock button or the keyfob. Operation is indicated via the same dashboard icon as the PASSLOCK system. As far as I can figure the LED on the radio has no association with this security feature. It's simply a coincidence that the PASSLOCK operates at or about the same moment when most people are attempting to arm the CTD feature. Reading the owners manual, it would seem that the door has to be open in order for CTD to arm.

The dashboard icon is just above the highbeam indicator.

So Wildcat, you were right! It is Divorced.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
:rant Here's my gripe, The paint on the preset numbers on the radio is wearing off. Anyone else have this problem? My #5 button is chipping on the top. This is really annoying me. The 03 Tahoe has the same problem. :mad :mad :mad :mad I just don't understand, I had my other tahoe for 6 years and it wasn't until just before we sold it that the buttons got so dry and worn that they broke. :leaving

·
Registered
322 Posts
Maybe you could try sealing them with a UV resistant "clear" of somekind.
Just an idea...........or have the dealer replace them. Oils on your fingers are what does it I think, I've always hated that. Such a simple little thing that could be better made. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
wildcat66 said:
:rant Here's my gripe, The paint on the preset numbers on the radio is wearing off. Anyone else have this problem? My #5 button is chipping on the top. This is really annoying me. The 03 Tahoe has the same problem. :mad :mad :mad :mad I just don't understand, I had my other tahoe for 6 years and it wasn't until just before we sold it that the buttons got so dry and worn that they broke. :leaving
I had the markings wear off on the steering wheel volume control. Took it in and they replaced them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts