Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an opinion on a replacement radio for my SSR.
I now have a Kenwood model DNN992 / DNN9150BT that has every bell and whistle on it but I broke the touch screen by poking it too hard. You can see my fingerprint right in the middle of the spider crack. The question is do I replace it or have it repaired. A list of good radios would be very helpful.
Thanks
Dennis

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Dennis with your hotrod you don't need no radio, just push that gas pedal down a little more and listen to that blower sing. I know you like your music as much as the horsepower. Update us with what you find. I am thinking of doing something with a back up camera over the winter.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
JVC KW-V840BT or KW-V940BW is what I would recommend, if you use a iPhone it has Apple CarPlay. I’ve got the KW-V830BT which is the best setup to date that I’ve ever used for navigation. They also work with Android phone however I’ve not used it.

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
One word Pioneer.
Check out Crutchfields, they will show you everything you need to know on most any brand.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevy SSR
833 Posts
Pioneer 5201 I think is correct number is what I installed and it works great. I also installed a back up camera but it was just something that I bought off of Amazon.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
The touch screen on that Kenwood is a pretty universal 6.95" module.
That model Kenwood is a highly rated unit but no longer made, its been replaced with other models with Apple Car Play added.
There are many audio repair shops that can replace the screen all over the US if you do a google search and contact a few.
Cost to repair around $200 vs spending $500+ on a new unit and all the re-installation/wiring that goes with it.
If your happy with the Current Kenwood I'd try to get it repaired.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Sorry

Had the same issue in my 1997 Camaro. :crying: previous owner installed your Kenwood unit. Replaced it with an OEM Monsoon sound system.:grin2:
That touch screen is VERY sensitive AND the prompts are difficult to see / manage while driving. Give me the tried and true, off / on / button / knobs system radios like the stock Bose system in our R .

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input Texasbaehr,
I got a price from Kenwood for $ 172.00 for the new screen and they have a factory repair facility here in L.A. This Kenwood model was a $ 1300.00 dollar radio. About the only thing it doesn't do is greet me when I open the door and pat my Fanny when I plop into the seat. I can't see buying a new
$ 500.00 to $700.00 dollar cheaper radio when it will cost less to fix this one that is very well equipped. Besides I have gotten used to this one.
Hey Bruce ( Stlhotrod ) Funny that you should mention the slight noise factor of my little R but I thought it would be fun to drive around for a while without the radio and listen to her purr. Damn, she doesn't exactly purr, it's a loud rumble and that's before you move down the street. Then when you get up on the interstate at 70 MPH you can't hear your self-think. On the way back from San Jose the other day I would pull alongside an 18 wheeler and press the button to see if maybe my electric cutout was open. It wasn't. The other thing I noticed was all of the road noise inside the cab. I am going to do the insulation that Dicktator showed us and a few other things to quiet the road noise in the cab. Not going to change the exhaust cause it's nice on the highway when other drivers here you even if they don't see you right away. Besides by that time my radio will be back where it belongs.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey WK
I need to not poke it so hard, what a moron I am. Going to cost me many hundreds of dollars for the Karate Poke. must relax and press, no poke, just press. The year before last I lost my temper at, of all things my Laptop and punched the screen, felt great for about 10 seconds, now no Laptop. Broke the screen in half. What a RETARD I am. I didn't like that Laptop anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts