Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on the SSR's handling in rain and snow?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rain and Snow

The SSR is pretty iffy on ice, with traction control seems exceptional in snow, though we haven't gotten any really deep stuff this winter. NE OR is headed for a drought summer while SoCal drowns.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
mangoldm said:
Any thoughts on the SSR's handling in rain and snow?
pouring down rain this AM coming to work - some flooded streets - she's high enough off the water so that's not a problem Handled just fine

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
The weight distribution is much better than the typical pickup truck, and the tires are not hardcore enough to be slick in the rain or in snow, so SHOULD work!

Jim G

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I have spun out in the rain, but then, I was pretty aggressive too! I think she handles better in the rain and snow than any other vehcile I have ever driven. I have driven my SSR in winter to Pittsburgh and she handled great in the snow and on the Pike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
daily wisconsin driver

Use my 2004-Slingshot as a daily driver till I sell my 2002 SLK240 and buy a something to use daily. I have had my SSR since 12/23/04 and have 3500 miles. We've had several 4-9" snows here in Wind Lake, WI and my SSR handled very well. The weight distribution is such that you seem to have traction and control in most moderate snow falls. I'm really impressed with the handling capabilities in snow. Nothing like my previous 2 wheel drive Silverado with a light rear. Although it hurts me to take this beauty out in such weather, I don't have a choice at this time.
Gerry W-Wind Lake, WI
2004-Slingshot SSR
2002 Mercedes SLK240
2000-HD FLHTCUI-Police Special

·
Registered
31 Posts
We had 4 inches of sleet here over Christmas and my SSR went any where I wanted to. It went up the incline on my driveway and my wife's Infinity was stuck there for days ( Even when I went to SHOW HER HOW IT WAS DONE!!). I think the SSR is VERY GOOD in inclimate weather.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The tires were specifically designed for the SSR. There is all of the wet traction you can use engineered in. I had some snow traction put in the tires so that it could be driven in the winter. I drove mine through last years Michigan winter season without any problem. Many performance vehicles only have "summer" tires. Since the availabililty of winter tires in SSR sizes would be questionable, we backed off on an all out performance tire that could only be used in the summer. Most of the messages above confirm that we did the right thing.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
SOME of the factors in snow traction are:

- rubber compound that stays soft at cold temperatures
- rubber compound that wears more quickly (to enable that softeness at cold temperartures we lose high temperature life!)
- more open tread design that resists clogging with snow
- relatively narrower width to enable snow penetration versus riding on top of it(ok, we blew that one!)

Jim G

1 - 10 of 10 Posts