Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:frown2:

Having been a streetrod owner for about 40 yrs, when ever I left town for a streetrod show or trip, I made sure to bring along certain items (just in case). My rod was made up of parts from various years of car/truck parts. Some of those items....if they broke or wore out, would not be available at your friendly Auto parts store.

Consequently, I brought along most everything I thought I might need if something went wrong.

Having sold the streetrod last Fall, I kinda thought those days were behind me...as to any worry about break downs. But now, having been on this forum for many months, I find myself loading up on tools/parts just in case ............all over again.:|

So, while I'm not taking a spare or (hydraulic jack....as I saw someone say they had). I'm prepped for a lot of possible problems.

How about the rest of you??? If any or many others have done the same as me, we likely could fix most any problem that might arise come Daytona Rally time.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
I don't take much, did the auto trans linkage fix, Mike's fan , ingnition switch, couple extra quarts of oil... I have Mike's spare kit..but did carry one in the bed before... only thing I ever had happen was tagging a deer on the interstate...and was still good to drive..

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,009 Posts
Here's what I pack:
I do have a SE spare mounted.
Full tool kit with a good sharp utility knife.
Gorilla Tape
Heavy duty nylon zip ties
Replacement Ignition Switch
One Ea. Low and High beam bulb
Gloves and large heavy towel
The Ultimate Drive USB
Cleaning and Detailing supplies

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,933 Posts
For 40 years you've hauled around a bunch of "chit" for a "just in case". How many times did any of that come in Handy for yourself, Not Counting someone else's need....
Spare tire, jumpers, detailing kit, basic bag of tools & butt connectors, duct tape, Ignition switch, fuses & a relay, and you can find the rest at auto parts store. Oh yeah, don't forget chairs and SPF cream.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,294 Posts
A couple small things I like to have along is a little magnetic tray for lugnuts if you have to change a tire on the side of the road. I carry a small tarp and gloves from Harbor Freight that way if I forget them or ruin them I am not out much. And I also take a new moving blanket along. This is besides the small tool set and extra oil, transfluid and water. Luckily most of the common stuff like alternators and starters are common on the SSR.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For 40 years you've hauled around a bunch of "chit" for a "just in case". How many times did any of that come in Handy for yourself, Not Counting someone else's need....
Spare tire, jumpers, detailing kit, basic bag of tools & butt connectors, duct tape, Ignition switch, fuses & a relay, and you can find the rest at auto parts store. Oh yeah, don't forget chairs and SPF cream.
:|
Well, I also have most of the items you mention as bringing along. As to the bunch of "chit", in fact I needed some of that stuff on two or three occasions. When I worked in the parts dept at a Chevy dealership back in the 60's, you asked what year and what engine was in it for what related parts....or for body parts, what model was it.

Now, for many years......the data for each/every car/truck is recorded by VIN #. You now go to the parts dept for something........first thing they want is your VIN#...........WTF. :frown2:

if I gave them the VIN# from my '39 Chevy, they would have zero clue as to matching parts I needed.:wink2:

And yep, I have the chairs and the SPF cream also.

·
Dr Who
649 Posts
:frown2:

Having been a streetrod owner for about 40 yrs, when ever I left town for a streetrod show or trip, I made sure to bring along certain items (just in case). My rod was made up of parts from various years of car/truck parts. Some of those items....if they broke or wore out, would not be available at your friendly Auto parts store.

Consequently, I brought along most everything I thought I might need if something went wrong.

Having sold the streetrod last Fall, I kinda thought those days were behind me...as to any worry about break downs. But now, having been on this forum for many months, I find myself loading up on tools/parts just in case ............all over again.:|

So, while I'm not taking a spare or (hydraulic jack....as I saw someone say they had). I'm prepped for a lot of possible problems.

How about the rest of you??? If any or many others have done the same as me, we likely could fix most any problem that might arise come Daytona Rally time.:grin2:
I usual bring a bottle of rum.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
What I take......

I have the set of belts that I took off in case someone needs them. I also bring a spare alternator. If someone needs it they can ship it back to me.

And I just ordered a set of wiper inserts from O'Rielley's to bring with. They will be in tomorrow. $6.25 each, $2.00 each cheaper, 1 day faster than Amazon.

Jack

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,284 Posts
MOST IMPORTANT THING IS:

Your smart phone or tablet (cell connected) so in case you do have problems you can send up an SOS on the site to try and locate a nearby Fanatic to help........

Oh and the charger for above.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Reminds me of my days of road trips in vintage British cars. About the only clothes we took were the ones on our backs as every other space was packed with spare parts!

Now, I do a good maintenance check before the trip and carry a cell phone and a AAA card with me.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reminds me of my days of road trips in vintage British cars. About the only clothes we took were the ones on our backs as every other space was packed with spare parts!

Now, I do a good maintenance check before the trip and carry a cell phone and a AAA card with me.
:nerd:
Did any of those vintage cars use Lucas ? My old Triumph motorcycle did, Lucas had their share of electrical gremlins.:wink2:

·
LKMURKY
449 Posts
Ssr pin map

Think maybe the SSR Map Pin list update is in order, Trucks are getting older, just like their owners, and we are at the point where trucks are changing hands.
MAYBE we Could bump the PIN Map to a permanent thread locked at the top of the pages.
All that being said, Spare tire, Spare Ignition switch, Phone & Charger, & a small tool kit to fix the simple thinks that go wrong. I also carry a disposable jump suit (and gloves) that goes over my clothing so in the event I do have to fix something. Keeps the grime out of the truck when you are done.
Cary
LKMURKY
:blur:

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
:nerd:
Did any of those vintage cars use Lucas ? My old Triumph motorcycle did, Lucas had their share of electrical gremlins.:wink2:
Ah yes, Lucas, aka 'The Prince of Darkness'.

Had my share of English cars early on and an electrical system with Lucas parts almost guaranteed an electrical failure on a dark road, late at night!

Ken

Ken, Vancouver Island

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Here is a list to print off.......

Here is a list that I print off and check off before I leave. One thing you may want to think about, all of your faucets, bath fixtures ,dish washer, clothes washer, etc are connected with pvc hose. You may consider turning them off before leaving for 5 or 6 days.

Jack

Attachments

Reactions: CruDawg

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
I pack a lot of faith and trust in Mazzy...that we'll get there just fine.

I do the same as @wizzr...I always pack the AAA Plus card.

And I follow @Dr Who with his sage advise! If I know I am going to have to ride along with the wrecker while he carries my sweet girl to the shop...well, that's where the bottle of liquor comes in handy!!

Looking forward to meeting you in Daytona @moscooter :cheers

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I pack a lot of faith and trust in Mazzy...that we'll get there just fine.

I do the same as @wizzr...I always pack the AAA Plus card.

And I follow @Dr Who with his sage advise! If I know I am going to have to ride along with the wrecker while he carries my sweet girl to the shop...well, that's where the bottle of liquor comes in handy!!

Looking forward to meeting you in Daytona @moscooter :cheers

:grin2:
You can be sure I'll be bringing along our portable bar. It will be stocked for making Manhattans and also Martinis. May have to include some Scotch too for variety. No question I will have some brewskies along too.:wink2:

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
:grin2:
You can be sure I'll be bringing along our portable bar. It will be stocked for making Manhattans and also Martinis. May have to include some Scotch too for variety. No question I will have some brewskies along too.:wink2:
MY MAN MO!!!
(You had me at portable bar!!) :wink2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts