Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the SSR randomly stumble and shut down several times in the last few days. All occurrences occurred either sitting still at a light, or making a right hand turn after a full stop, all at low speeds. A couple of times I got a Traction Control Active display in the DIC as this happened, but that may have been because I was pumping the accelerator trying to get it to run. Each time it stopped, I was able to immediately re-start, although the last time it took a couple of starter cycles to get it to catch. I have not done the Fuse Box repair, and the symptoms don't appear to be that issue, but I have the material available to do that repair anyway just in case.

SSR is an '05 with Magnuson Supercharger, Auto trans. I replaced the Ignition switch about 2000 miles ago ( last year). I suspect it might be the Magna-Volt ( had a similar problem last year). When I checked the connector this time, it was solid, and no visible signs of bad connection. Wiggling the connector did not cause a stumble, as it did last year. I did measure the draw on the fuel pump line, and it was showing 9 amps at idle. The line was too hot to touch. Don't know if this is an indication that the pump is drawing too much power??

Thoughts???

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I had similar problems on my 06 with a year old ignition switch and that is what was the problem. New switch made it all better again.

Just a thought. Maybe take your spare switch and swap it out to confirm or deny.

good luck!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I'll try a new switch.

Anybody have thoughts on the MagnaVolt?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Magna-Volt is part of the Magnuson Supercharger Install. It suppliers a higher voltage to the Fuel Pump when the supercharger kicks in.

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
All occurrences occurred either sitting still at a light, or making a right hand turn after a full stop, all at low speeds.
Doesn't sound like a magnavolt problem at those speeds unless it's killing the pump completely.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Had the SSR randomly stumble and shut down several times in the last few days. All occurrences occurred either sitting still at a light, or making a right hand turn after a full stop, all at low speeds. A couple of times I got a Traction Control Active display in the DIC as this happened, but that may have been because I was pumping the accelerator trying to get it to run. Each time it stopped, I was able to immediately re-start, although the last time it took a couple of starter cycles to get it to catch. I have not done the Fuse Box repair, and the symptoms don't appear to be that issue, but I have the material available to do that repair anyway just in case.

SSR is an '05 with Magnuson Supercharger, Auto trans. I replaced the Ignition switch about 2000 miles ago ( last year). I suspect it might be the Magna-Volt ( had a similar problem last year). When I checked the connector this time, it was solid, and no visible signs of bad connection. Wiggling the connector did not cause a stumble, as it did last year. I did measure the draw on the fuel pump line, and it was showing 9 amps at idle. The line was too hot to touch. Don't know if this is an indication that the pump is drawing too much power??

Thoughts???
Here a few of causes for a hot wire, hope this helps.

1) Short circuit (wires touching somewhere)
2) The circuit is overloaded (I think it's this one, fuel pump issue)
3) A loose connection causing arcing
4) Corrosion in the fuse box
5) Some other component is heating up the wire

·
Registered
26 Posts
if you have an OBDII reader, then hook it up and read any trouble codes that may be in the ECM (engine control module) this could be a starting point to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No trouble codes via OBDII reader. I did some research, and the 9 amp draw I am seeing on the Fuel Pump line seems to be about right. For now, I plan on changing out the ignition switch. If that doesn't fix it, next would be the Fuse Box fix ( although the symptoms don't really suggest that is the issue). The Crank Sensor should throw a code. At least I hope so. That one is not so easy to change.

Also thinking about bypassing the MagnaVolt just to see if it eliminates the issue. Would have to be careful not to get into boost, but that shouldn't be a problem.

It's always a bear trying to track down these intermittent problems. So much easier when something just breaks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
You mentioned the wire to the fuel pump is too hot to touch, This is not normal. Wiring is sized to handle the load without getting hot. This is a big clue to look further. Was something added to this circuit ? Perhaps the intercooler waterpump? Just for info.... fuse #11 under the hood is for the fuel pump. With a high amp draw on the circuit, and the wire getting hot, then the voltage would drop to a low amount. Perhaps voltage drops to 9 volts and then the fuel pump cannot produce the required pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Since this SSR has a supercharger, the wiring for the fuel pump is different. There is a separate fused power power wire that provides power to the Magnavolt. The Magnavolt then provides the power to the fuel pump. It provides normal voltage at idle, but when boost is detected ( via a vacuum line) it ups the voltage from 13.5 to 17, providing more fuel to keep the engine from going lean. Nothing else on the Fuel Pump line

The wire that is hot to the touch is the one coming out of the magnavolt and going to the fuel pump. I measured it at 9 amps, which I've determined to be just about right for idle amperage. Still doesn't rule out that the pump is going bad, since I have an intermittent shutdown that could well be fuel related. However, the known culprit is the MagnaVolt, as many have had issues with them. Manguson doesn't even sell them anymore ( they've changed to a different brand).

Just trying to take care of the low hanging fruit before I go and spend another $400 for a replacement. Might consider a Kenne Bell Voltage Booster.

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
Let's go old school and consider some form of vapor lock. I was experiencing similar to this with my 06 Magnusson. We cured it by removing the back flow valve in the fuel line. I did not however have a hot to the touch wire. Good luck with this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The fuse box wire is a fairly easy repair and other then a faulty ign switch should be a go to inspect and/or repair on all 05 and 06 models. It seems that it is not an if but when problem.

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
The wire that is hot to the touch is the one coming out of the magnavolt and going to the fuel pump. I measured it at 9 amps, which I've determined to be just about right for idle amperage. Still doesn't rule out that the pump is going bad, since I have an intermittent shutdown that could well be fuel related. However, the known culprit is the MagnaVolt, as many have had issues with them. Manguson doesn't even sell them anymore ( they've changed to a different brand).
I have not chimed in because I am not familiar with a magnavolt, but I had some thoughts
You measured amperage for fuel pump -- did you ever measure voltage coming from the magnavolt (I assume this powers fuel pump during all operating conditions) or did you check the wire to see if it is hot at a location further from the magnavolt?
If you have resistance in the magnavolt unit - the voltage to the fuel pump will be lower then normal and the unwanted resistance is changing the dropping the voltage and changing it to heat energy - the heat is being transmitted into the wire -- the heat may dissipate down the wire thus the temperature may be different further from the source of heat.

I might be over analyzing, I am just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just getting back from a short vacation,and starting to work the problems. Will be taking it slow, one at a time. Since it is a random occurrence, I'll have to make a change, and then drive it a week or so to see if the problem occurs. Will take a while, but I will post back if/when I fix the issue.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a follow up. I pulled the Connector from the Magnavolt, and noticed that the terminal for the power wire was bent just a little ( maybe from someone probing for power?). I straightened the connector and re-installed. Been driving it now for a couple of weeks with no shutdowns. Doesn't necessarily mean that it's fixed, but promising.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts