Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have the rearend roar again...I am tired of it. I am about to start arbitration with GM on this truck.. I am at the point now that I don't want an SSR anymore...

Why did I have to get a lemon?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Boosted said:
Well I have the rearend roar again...I am tired of it. I am about to start arbitration with GM on this truck.. I am at the point now that I don't want an SSR anymore...

Why did I have to get a lemon?

i sympathize with you. i bought a new 2000 dodge pickup 1500 br and it was falling apart from the day i drove it off the lot. every time i looked underneath the hood or the chassis i found parts missing, loose, corroded wiring on the battery, etc,etc. i took a 3000.00 loss when i traded it in for a 2001 ford f150 just to get rid of the piece of crap. i used to like dodge products but i don't think i am going to buy another one anytime soon. good luck and i hope you get satisfaction from gm on this deal. :mad

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cruzned said:
What do you mean rear end roar? :confused

At 50 mph there is an on/off throttle rear end whine like when the backlash on the Pinion was not set right. This is the 3rd rearend in the truck.2 complete and 1 rebuilt center.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Feeling your pain. Had a similar road with a Ford once. Good luck getting satisfation. Your issue with the rearend seems to be pretty rare, only a couple of others ever mentioned on the site. Good luck!

G

·
Arbitration never works the way people think it does. :mad
Unless the dealer is willing to "eat" some of the money as a "goodwill" gesture, you usually have to cough up some money for mileage, depretiation, etc. AND they'll most likely ONLY help you IF you get another Chevrolet! :boxing
Good Luck! :thumbs

G

·
I had a similar experience with a chevy mini van and was lucky that the dealer took the truck back with about 8000 mi and gave me all of my money on another van.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have you had the SSR to a speciality shop who really knows rear ends versus just a dealer? Possibly the dealer would agree to at least paying to have a more qualified shop take a look at it. Agood quality shop who builds rear ends for custom rods, street racers and race cars should be able to help. Likely a lot less out of your pocket than what GM is going to do for you.

However, you have the good fortune of GM still sitting on lots of new 04's - they might be fair and let you get into a new 04 with not too much pain in the wallet. Sorry to hear about all the trouble, good luck.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I am sure glad I live in Georgia..We have a lemon law and I am in touch with the feds on this..I have to forward everything to them and we will see what happens from there.

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
I wish you the best of luck. Hope get what you want out of them, for all the trouble you have been thru.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey Steve, Am I missing something or is your drivetrain warrantee expired?I thought them good ol boys down there knew their way around just about anything with a rear end on it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Na it is still under warrantee. I bought it new on 2-1-05 and like I said it has had 1 rebuild and 2 complete with the same results.... I am tired of paying for a truck that spends half it's life at the dealer trying to get repaired.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Steve - On my 05 i had the same noise from the rear end at 50mph and also around 70mph. The dealer changed the drive shaft this week and it seems to have cured the whine at 50mph but it's still their at 70mph. May be time to find a local shop to replace the ring and pinion. Ross :flag

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am on the second driveshaft also.. I know I probably could take it to a local shop but GM made and GM can fix it, or give me my $$$ back and I will walk away.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Boosted said:
Well I am sure glad I live in Georgia..We have a lemon law and I am in touch with the feds on this..I have to forward everything to them and we will see what happens from there.
chevrolet's regional office is in atlanta and their customer relations office should be able to resolve this situation to your satisfaction. state lemon laws are very effective but they require some leg work on the part of the consumer.. if you have
good documentation and explain exactly what you want you should be able to get
your vehicle fixed or bought back

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The techs they have flown in twice and the mechanics at the dealership all say the rear end....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Rearend noise

Boosted....It does seem strange that 3 rear and 2 drive shaft changes have not corrected the noise? Could it be that the real problem lies with one or both of the rear axles? A deffective axle could produce the same or similar noise. If one is slightly bent it will give the impression that there is something wrong in the rearend. And it is. Just not within the pumpkin itself? Just another troubleshooting thought. Best of luck and I sure hate it for ya.

SSR4DOC
Rossville,TN
Slingshot Yellow #185

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I would agree that this could be a problem..But what are the cahnces that 2 Complete rearends to enclude the housings and all would be bad? They tried the rebuild the first time and after that it was complete units from rotor to rotor.

The whine sounds exactly like a pinion shim problem. When it is on the throttle I get the whine...Off and quiet.. Freaky...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. I had a problem with a 03 Escalade and after several bouts with GM I found the proper way to ask them to replace the vehicle. Don't ask them to give you another vehicle but instead ask them to assist you as painlessly as possible to acquire a new replacement vehicle. Once I did that they bought back my 03 using a mileage formula that was very fair and allowed me to purchase an 04 Escalade at invoice and at 0% interest, which at the time was not available on that model. I got a new vehicle with a $40.00 less per month payment and more equipment. It's all in how you ask.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts