Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,195 Posts
Why pay more than the cost of repair?
AGREED ... once Mike and Zane establish and implement an RDM repair process AND if they can keep the repair cost at the estimated $500 (including return shipping), the value of a USED, not-repaired, RDM should drop to about $400, or less. Buying a used RDM that is unproven to work, or may fail at any moment from time of purchase, should force the price down well below the cost to have one repaired. Until the RDM repair system is up and operational, the price for a used RDM will be whatever anyone believes he/she needs to shell out for one. My recommendation, hold out for a Mike and Zane repaired RDM.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
AGREED ... once Mike and Zane establish and implement an RDM repair process AND if they can keep the repair cost at the estimated $500 (including return shipping), the value of a USED, not-repaired, RDM should drop to about $400, or less. Buying a used RDM that is unproven to work, or may fail at any moment from time of purchase, should force the price down well below the cost to have one repaired. Until the RDM repair system is up and operational, the price for a used RDM will be whatever anyone believes he/she needs to shell out for one. My recommendation, hold out for a Mike and Zane repaired RDM.
There is one caveat to your comment. Are the rebuilt RDM's going to have a warranty? How do you know a rebuilt RDM will have a better life expectancy than a used one? Until these questions are answered, I'd say a working used one may be as good as a rebuilt one.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
7,049 Posts
It is all about supply and demand. The supply is less than the demand so they will bring a premium. Is that premium 5 grand? I sure hope not.

There will still be people who want one to have for that just in case. What will they pay for it? With social media being what it is, one person cries the sky is falling and you have panic. I was laughing at some of the posts I read where people said they were thinking of selling their SSR because of fear of the RDM going out. For the most part what little we have seen is the RDM does not wear out from use. The failures that we know about are mostly voltage spikes. They usually seem to happen when a battery gets low and jumped. Now is it how the jump happens or something else? Little is known because it seems to happen when the vehicle is out of the owners control. I have jump started and recharged my trucks many, many times and so far no issues with the RDM.

I think it is going to depend on the circumstances of who needs an RDM and how badly, will determine the price. That was kind of what was steering the prices before they jumped the tracks before. They were pretty much running around 600-800. Then a car dealer needed one to repair a truck they sold, and offered 1200 because they had to either repair the truck or take it back. Then someone said they would pay 1200 to have a spare and that kind of became the new norm for them.

Then a salvage yard got into the mix and they sold one for 800. It sold fast so the next one they listed for 1200 and it just kept going up from there. Because so many people were scared, but had no idea about them they just blew up in prices. Social media probably had as much to do with the price increases as anything. How often did you hear the, I heard someone just paid 1800 or 2000 or 3000 for one but we did not always hear who this someone actually was.

Salvage yards are the most common place to find one for sale and they are not going to care what it cost to repair one. They are going to list them for sale for what they think the market will pay. If it is too high they will drop the price till it sells. So the people buying them are setting the value, not if they can be repaired or not.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
It is all about supply and demand. The supply is less than the demand so they will bring a premium. Is that premium 5 grand? I sure hope not.

There will still be people who want one to have for that just in case. What will they pay for it? With social media being what it is, one person cries the sky is falling and you have panic. I was laughing at some of the posts I read where people said they were thinking of selling their SSR because of fear of the RDM going out. For the most part what little we have seen is the RDM does not wear out from use. The failures that we know about are mostly voltage spikes. They usually seem to happen when a battery gets low and jumped. Now is it how the jump happens or something else? Little is known because it seems to happen when the vehicle is out of the owners control. I have jump started and recharged my trucks many, many times and so far no issues with the RDM.

I think it is going to depend on the circumstances of who needs an RDM and how badly, will determine the price. That was kind of what was steering the prices before they jumped the tracks before. They were pretty much running around 600-800. Then a car dealer needed one to repair a truck they sold, and offered 1200 because they had to either repair the truck or take it back. Then someone said they would pay 1200 to have a spare and that kind of became the new norm for them.

Then a salvage yard got into the mix and they sold one for 800. It sold fast so the next one they listed for 1200 and it just kept going up from there. Because so many people were scared, but had no idea about them they just blew up in prices. Social media probably had as much to do with the price increases as anything. How often did you hear the, I heard someone just paid 1800 or 2000 or 3000 for one but we did not always hear who this someone actually was.

Salvage yards are the most common place to find one for sale and they are not going to care what it cost to repair one. They are going to list them for sale for what they think the market will pay. If it is too high they will drop the price till it sells. So the people buying them are setting the value, not if they can be repaired or not.
You are correct about supply and demand and "the sky is falling" scenarios. Heck, I fell for it. I have enough 9mm ammo to choke a horse and now it's back on every store shelf at sale prices. Then you add in price scalpers like we sometimes see here and all bets are off regarding pricing.

·
SSR Believer
3,886 Posts
There is one caveat to your comment. Are the rebuilt RDM's going to have a warranty? How do you know a rebuilt RDM will have a better life expectancy than a used one? Until these questions are answered, I'd say a working used one may be as good as a rebuilt one.
Mike's stood behind everything he's sold for 16+ years. I trust that if he repairs an RDM, he will continue to do so. Does that mean forever?. Hardly seems fair and I don't know of anyone that does that or anyone else that can repair an RDM for that matter. So I'll continue to believe that Mike will do what's necessary to keep his customers satisfied. :)

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,955 Posts
According to the last asking price you could buy 4 repaired ones to one used one. Do the math.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,667 Posts
I would think it would depend on what the failure is. It will be interesting to see if all of the bad ones are one specific part, or if they are all different parts that fail, that causes a time consuming testing of all systems/circuits to find the problem. If we are lucky, it could be like the under hood fuse box wire. One issue on ALL boxes. go to that spot fix and done. Let's hope that is the case :p As for warranty, most repairs are for the specific item repaired and not every aspect of the product.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2005 SSR
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now thats there is a repair in place for a working one $800 to $1,000 one in need of repair $300 to $500 there should be no more crazy pricing, I bought one recently as a back up no regrets it is what it is. It's just great for us all what Mike has done for us all, saves me a hugh amount of time that was on my list of future projects, I was an avionics engineer for many yes and still have some contacts in the industry.
Life is getting better and better for the SSR community there are good people working on things for everyone.
Rich

1 - 20 of 40 Posts