·
SSR Believer
3,623 Posts
Yes, many have, and no, no luck.

The discussion continues:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm pretty sure that this is going to be a software solution.
The silicon is too old to reproduce, plus, technology has advanced so far since then.
That said, you would need several GM Lan Programmers, an Auto Electric Technician, Software and Chip Tools, Test Equipment, a Send and Receive Test environment for the Protocol, GM Lan Programming Documentation and an SSR to do final testing on.
I'm sure that I forgot a few things, but that's the gist of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How many owners have this problem with the RDM .. I bought an O6 Ricochet Silver over Smoking Asphalt, Loaded with only 21K in March.. This last post has me very concerned.. What are the SSRs worth if you can't fix em.. Should I try to never lower the top. Are there any signs if the RDM is starting to fail... I waited 15 years to get the one I wanted... wow, don't feel so good about it now...

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
1,223 Posts
How many owners have this problem with the RDM .. I bought an O6 Ricochet Silver over Smoking Asphalt, Loaded with only 21K in March.. This last post has me very concerned.. What are the SSRs worth if you can't fix em.. Should I try to never lower the top. Are there any signs if the RDM is starting to fail... I waited 15 years to get the one I wanted... wow, don't feel so good about it now...
Keep in mind, most SSRs do not have an issue with their RDM. It would be helpful to know if there is a common issue that precedes the failure of this vital component. I am thinking a jump start with the battery cables reversed, an overcharge condition problem with the alternator, or possibly some combination of failure with one or more of the components or electronics of a connected device. Remember, forewarned is forearmed! I also wonder if some owners freaking out and just buying a unit to have "just in case" might be part of the availability problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you for your response, I'll keep your thoughts in mind.. Im very much a perfectionist, I'll make sure to keep an eye out for any possible electronic mishaps and to only have qualified GM mechanics address any problems.. Thanks again

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
6,787 Posts
The most common thing found with bad RDMs seems to be they got jump started near the time the RDM went out. SO be careful and follow the owners manual on how to do it and you should be fine. I have jumped all of my trucks at one time or another and have always used the red cable connection on the passengers side fender for the positive and the engine for the ground.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, sounds good 👍.. I'll be very careful if I ever need to jump start.. Thank you.. The members of this forum are very helpful.. I would hate to sell her, Their such beautiful vehicles... GM should assist with this...

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
4,393 Posts
I totally agree with @Stlhotrod.
Better to recharge or replace battery on any modern vehicle. If you have no other choice be sure to follow proper precautions and conections. DO NOT connect jumper cables to any conection at the underhood fuse box. There are too many chances that something could go wrong.

The idea of not lowering the top to save the RDM, may have some merit. But realize, operation of the windows is also through the RDM.
Like its been said, its not a common failure. Enjoy your SSR. Drive it and enjoy it.
How many owners bought it while worrying about resale value.
In my personal opinion, the value of my SSR is my/our happiness driving it today, tomorrow or the next day. Coupled with the plans i have for future modifications, the great people i have met and the ones i have yet to meet.

It's not about the dollar value a few months or years from now.

Sorry, I will step off my soapbox now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you.. I agree about the happiness of driving it.. Its just that im just now getting over spending 40k on a toy and got a little nervous when I read about the RDM issue.. im hoping that the jump start issue is the culprit.. And I would get a new battery and have it towed if I ever are in the position to jump it.... Thank you again....

·
Premium Member
05 aqua blur, the Blur 06 blue over silver the Streak
756 Posts
Most of us use a Battery Tender to keep the battery charged over the winter. Don't be afraid to enjoy your truck. The RDM is just an issue that this group of extremely talented people are working on to resolve. They have come up so many improvements and work arounds to make our trucks better. Put the top down and enjoy the Permagrin.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,363 Posts
Im going to install the pig tail for the Battery Tender this fall, I have them on my boat and Harleys,, they are worth the investment.. So, no special precautions installing the pig tail.. Thanks for your reply....
The ONLY special precaution is make sure you have a fail safe means of knowing you have disconnected it before you drive off.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
Premium Member 2004 Smokin' Asphalt
51,864 Posts
The ONLY special precaution is make sure you have a fail safe means of knowing you have disconnected it before you drive off.
This is how I have remembered for the past 17 years!
Vehicle Speedometer Car Odometer Tachometer

·
SSR Believer
3,623 Posts
Thank you for your response, I'll keep your thoughts in mind.. Im very much a perfectionist, I'll make sure to keep an eye out for any possible electronic mishaps and to only have qualified GM mechanics address any problems.. Thanks again
We're cut from the same cloth Eddy. I know it's a fairly rare problem, but it is concerning and why I've been following the the threads on the topic for a couple of years now. I confess that I would have been one of those folks that would have bought one and squirreled it away when they were selling for <$500 had I known what I know now. Since they've crested $2200 or more (when they do show up) I'm a little less likely to do that. :sneaky:

I received this advice from a well-known expert here when I went to replace my battery recently:

"Remove two fuses, #28 for the RDM and #40 for the TBC to prevent any damage; both located in the interior fuse console behind the passenger seat."

I've never had to jumpstart our SSR and hopefully never will since it has a brand new battery and is always kept on a Deltran Battery Tender... but if I DO, I plan on removing those two fuses to be safe.

I printed out the attachment and keep it in the portable jump starter case I have in the back of our SSR.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts