Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to replace my factory radio with one that had GPS etc. In doing so I removed all the dash pieces as well as the passenger air bag. With the air bag out, I turned on the ignition to check the radio functions which in turn caused the "Service Air Bag" warning to display as well as the air bag light warning on the dash to display. So, not wanting to take my Caruck to the dealer I decided to try fixing it myself. So ti fix it here's what I did.

Turn the ignition on and watch the airbag light, it will flash seven times. As soon as it quit's flashing, turn off the ignition, wait about 3 seconds and repeat the process. It may take you several try's (it took me three try's). But you know you were successful when you start your Caruck and no warnings or lights.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,959 Posts
I think your problem is the delicate connectors at the airbag. That little sliding pin that holds in each connector has tiny feet on them, if they are damaged at all it will cause a code. You can get replacement connector "keepers" at the dealer. That, or the connector is not fully seated which would be hard to believe.

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
$20 Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo, etc

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,959 Posts
Pins called "Connector Positive Assurance" (CPA) . If needed GM part number 88988974 ($8) but make sure yours is properly seated and no damage first.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think your problem is the delicate connectors at the airbag. That little sliding pin that holds in each connector has tiny feet on them, if they are damaged at all it will cause a code. You can get replacement connector "keepers" at the dealer. That, or the connector is not fully seated which would be hard to believe.

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
$20 Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo, etc
No, my problem was that I turned on the ignition with the airbag removed which in turn caused a malfunction in the computer that something is wrong with the airbag system. So when I put everything back together I still got the Airbag Service warning and the airbag light stayed on. It was a screw up on my part. So I've read everything I could on re-setting the air bag system and every where I've read said that this has to be reset by a dealership. So not wanting to take it in to a dealership I searched methods used on other GM products and tried them till I found one that worked. That's how I came up with the method listed above. Warning is gone, light goes out, I'm a happy camper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts