Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about 100 miles from home the other day and locked my keys in the cargo area I sure was glad I had read my manual and knew about the release under the left rear

·
Registered
136 Posts
share please

the manual is in the car and i'm in the house. can you be a bit more specific about the tailgate release? promise I won't tell any non owners.

t

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Undesired feature

This is something I just can't find any like for. That release should be inside the cab maybe like the hood release, but behind the seat or something.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
You misunderstand, with the under chassies release, there is no security.

BTW: Anybody? Is that release electronic or mechanical?

G

·
The one in the glove box is electric the one under the left rear is mechanical in case the battery is dead. As far as security goes, most SSR owner don't know about the external one, let alone just your average Joe. If a professional thief wants you car there is little you can to stop him, all your going to do is slow him down for a few seconds.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
No. This kind of thing gets around, every theif who took something from a car will learn about this. I won't be putting anything of value there untill the cargo area can't be opened by any one with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
112 Posts
beer100 said:
No. This kind of thing gets around, every theif who took something from a car will learn about this. I won't be putting anything of value there untill the cargo area can't be opened by any one with a screwdriver.
I agree!!! :agree

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Emergency cargo release.

I don't golf. Some people I know think it's a character flaw.

I wouldn't have thought clubs have that much attraction. I mean, If somewone is willing to pay the fees for a round of golf, I'd expect him to be able to afford the clubs.

Back on topic:

I have a neighbor, don't know who yet, that regulary rifles thru all the unlocked cars on the street. Anything attractive dissappears, change in the ashtray, small things. Based on what disappears, it's almost sure to be a kid.

We need GM, or the after market, to come up with, some kind of keyed latch, that can be wrapped around the emergency release. Something that will require some work to remove.

·
Registered
277 Posts
beer100 said:
This is something I just can't find any like for. That release should be inside the cab maybe like the hood release, but behind the seat or something.
Beats calling a locksmith. Do agree a release inside the cab shouldn't add much to the cost of the SSR? I can just imagine lying on the ground in the rain having to open the cover, but then the cab will plrobably be locked too, thus no tool to open the back.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
We felt there had to be a mechanical release in case there was an electrical problem or the battery was dead. The mechanical release works in conjunction with the child handle inside the bed. Since there is no external lock that you could pick or drill out, there had to be some access to the latch cables. That access was hidden and was locked. The choice of which key may not have been perfect and you can break into the plastic box if you are determined. What you see is the best compromise when we went to production. Since we are such a low production vehicle, probably not too many thieves will know what to do. On our western trips, we put all our valuables into the bed.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
freezer said:
there had to be some access to the latch cables. That access was hidden and was locked.
I don't understand the very last of the quote. Am I supposed to see a lock cylinder after I pull the sealing plug? All I see is a deep hole with a splined socket at the bottom.

Thanks for addressing this thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts