Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

221 - 240 of 251 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
That's the ratio that should have come stock in the 6 speed Rs, just like the Trailblazer SS!

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
662 Posts
We haven't heard in a while from the Fanatic, @dna who put in a Tremec Magnum with a closer set of gear ratios than the original T56. I wonder how that is working out after a bit of familiarity. I also do not remember if he had changed his rear gearset & if so, to what. I do remember the Magnum he went with had a taller first gear(2.66) and a shorter 6th(.63) I believe. Good for those who love to row their boat and probably a killer combo with a 4.56 rear end.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
That was Doug and I went up to see him when I purchased his old trans. Overall, he seemed pleased with the swap though he hadn't put many miles on it. I wish I could have crawled around under his R for a look see, but that didn't happen. He did open his door so I could examine the shifter position and it looked a little awkward. It was very low and as far left as it could go, but he said it shifted fine. His is not the ratio package that I would choose, but I know he was just anxious to get the car driveable and that trans was readily available.

Reactions: tuckerred1948

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
I originally wanted 4.30's but I could not find for the 6 speed. I went 4.56 and really like it. The first is still a little high IMO, but it makes 6th gear far more useful. IMO 4.10 is too close the the original.

Put the Core Shifter kit in for sure.

Dave

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
@tuckerred1948
Still happy with the trans, as @Topspin said, shifter is tight to the left, just clears the bezel. It is different but not bad, just “closer to me”. The gearing feels like stock to me, I think i have 2.66 first, the rest I don’t know. I have a stock 3.73(?) rear gear in it now. I would like to do 4.56 soon.
Ken, you are more than welcome to crawl around and look anytime!
On a side note I wasn’t notified with the @ symbol ... but I keep up with most of the topics.

dna

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
662 Posts
@tuckerred1948
Still happy with the trans, as @Topspin said, shifter is tight to the left, just clears the bezel. It is different but not bad, just “closer to me”. The gearing feels like stock to me, I think i have 2.66 first, the rest I don’t know. I have a stock 3.73(?) rear gear in it now. I would like to do 4.56 soon.
Ken, you are more than welcome to crawl around and look anytime!
On a side note I wasn’t notified with the @ symbol ... but I keep up with most of the topics.

dna
I don't know if everyone's shifter is as far to the right as mine, close on the bezel in the reverse gate and requires a little reach for 5th & 6th. That is the way it was with the original shifter, but neither my Z28 nor my GTO, both six speeds have that issue. I personally would like my shifter to be closer to me(a bit left) and I should have & could have made it so as Topspin kindly sent me a shift lever that he had shortened and I set it up with a 16x1.5mm threaded termination at the top so I could screw on a Hurst SS shifter ball. Ended up about 1/2 inch lower(shorter overall) than stock, love that, but I coulda angled it to the left a bit at the same time. Bigger ball makes R,5th and 6th a bit more accessible, but as Topspin Quotes "Strive for perfection in everything". I think I would like yours.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Another option

will call and order View attachment 589290
:rolleyes:

Well, you may have already made that order...........but it might not result in satisfactory results. You might want to use the search function and go back and peruse all of the posts from me that dealt with a swap to 456 gears.

So happens that I landed upon a "guru" rear end gear ACE. He took me thru the pluses and minuses and it's quite a story.

Most after market ring/pinion sets are made in Korea and/or China. ONLY if you select a gear set that was at some point made for OEM applications........can you be sure to maybe get a "good" set. Otherwise, you are subject to gear whine/howl no matter how well the tech tried to "dial it in".

Did a google search on your dysworldwide.com.....................came up no can find.:oops:

·
Premium Member
2005 6 speed red
154 Posts
I called the mfg , made in Italy
Hurst shifter arrived
Waiting on calipers and rotors for swap

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,465 Posts
Just sayin', I have a set of 4.56 gears for sale cheap if anyone wants to try them out. I used them on Ilsa for awhile, then decided to go to 4.10's for a better high end on the strip. Shipping is around $30, so I'd ship them for $100 total.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
Just sayin', I have a set of 4.56 gears for sale cheap if anyone wants to try them out. I used them on Ilsa for awhile, then decided to go to 4.10's for a better high end on the strip. Shipping is around $30, so I'd ship them for $100 total.
Are these for auto or 6 speed?

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,465 Posts
Really? I spent a lot more than that on them.

Ummm... you're not really go spend that much on a set of gears are you? That's over two times the going rate for a set of OEM gears.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,910 Posts
Ummm... you're not really go spend that much on a set of gears are you? That's over two times the going rate for a set of OEM gears.
Really? I spent a lot more than that on them.
Achias--I thank Wizz was talking about GB92270's post # 218 $1,039.95??? sorry for butting in.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
I'm really hesitant to stick my nose in here, but I'm just trying to keep everyone here happy/informed. It's a really bad idea to install used gears in a different housing. In fact, any reputable shop wouldn't attempt to do the installation. To re-install that gear set in your housing could be done, as long as the original pinion depth shim was retained. It's best to just write that gear set off!

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,465 Posts
Understood, and thanks. I was just thinking that this set is so cheap that somebody who wanted to see what 4.56 gears did to their R might appreciate the opportunity. I may end up with some fabulously efficient doorstops!

I'm really hesitant to stick my nose in here, but I'm just trying to keep everyone here happy/informed. It's a really bad idea to install used gears in a different housing. In fact, any reputable shop wouldn't attempt to do the installation. To re-install that gear set in your housing could be done, as long as the original pinion depth shim was retained. It's best to just write that gear set off!

·
Premium Member
2005 6 speed red
154 Posts
I was showing part # , not price, the price was changed as it was out of stock , typical ebay sellers

Iam a ebay seller also
I mfg tundra silicone cup holders and all the coolant hoses for the toy's

4.11 for me , I hope to have this truck for seam, after that it will be sold as I have a Rivian on order

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I was showing part # , not price, the price was changed as it was out of stock , typical ebay sellers

Iam a ebay seller also
I mfg tundra silicone cup holders and all the coolant hoses for the toy's

4.11 for me , I hope to have this truck for seam, after that it will be sold as I have a Rivian on order
Ah... So you just acquired your SSR and after SEMA it will be sold? Is that what you are saying?

221 - 240 of 251 Posts