Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

241 - 251 of 251 Posts

·
SSR Believer
1,899 Posts
@Dicktator's recent post here got me thinking about new rear axle gears, probably the recommended 4:10 for our automatic.

Knowing that labor can vary and all, what do the experts here think the ballpark cost would be all-in now? I'm slogging through the dozen plus pages of this thread, but any new advice would be welcome too.

UPDATE: Just stumbled across @BRG Tim's recent post with cost details (y) (completely forgot that I was subscribed to it :rolleyes: ). Welcome anyone else's thoughts as well of course.

TIA!

·
Premium Member
5,341 Posts
From past experience at a well known Speed shop that focuses on rear end builds and gear swaps, I paid $987., Gears parts and labor.
Gears have went up a little the last year but would seem that $1200 or less would be about right.

Try and fine a good Speed shop that specializes in rear ends and gear swaps, mine was done in one day dropped off in the AM done in the PM, no reason to have the car in the shop for 3 or 4 days.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I went with a local gear and clutch shop that has a good reputation. They're not a "speed shop" but they do know what they're doing when it comes to rear ends. They were fine with me providing new, name brand (American Axle) gears. My total was $800. $400 for gears, bearing & gasket kit & oil. And $400 cash labor.

·
SSR Believer
1,899 Posts
I went with a local gear and clutch shop that has a good reputation. They're not a "speed shop" but they do know what they're doing when it comes to rear ends. They were fine with me providing new, name brand (American Axle) gears. My total was $800. $400 for gears, bearing & gasket kit & oil. And $400 cash labor.
Thanks Mark. (y) That sounds very doable and a good return/bang for the buck. Ours already has the Corvette servo, so a little more low-end oomph to go with the solid shifting would be great I think.

Where'd you buy the gears? I checked East Coast Gear Supply and they don't seem to carry American Axel anymore.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Thanks Mark. (y) That sounds very doable and a good return/bang for the buck. Ours already has the Corvette servo, so a little more low-end oomph to go with the solid shifting would be great I think.

Where'd you buy the gears? I checked East Coast Gear Supply and they don't seem to carry American Axel anymore.
Oh yeah... I have the Corvette servo as well. That and Joe D's tune makes for some serious shifting.
As for where I bought the gears, I don't recall. I do remember I got the American Axle part numbers and did a google search. Then found a reputable dealer for the gears and bearing set and pulled the trigger.
The hurdle is to find an installer that knows his stuff and won't rake you over the coals on the price. For someone who knows what they're doing, it's a four hour job. So find out what the shops labor rate is. If they want more than 4 x their labor rate, they're milking it. Of course figure in oil, and misc charges (oil disposal etc) as well.

·
SSR Believer
1,899 Posts
Oh yeah... I have the Corvette servo as well. That and Joe D's tune makes for some serious shifting.
As for where I bought the gears, I don't recall. I do remember I got the American Axle part numbers and did a google search. Then found a reputable dealer for the gears and bearing set and pulled the trigger.
The hurdle is to find an installer that knows his stuff and won't rake you over the coals on the price. For someone who knows what they're doing, it's a four hour job. So find out what the shops labor rate is. If they want more than 4 x their labor rate, they're milking it. Of course figure in oil, and misc charges (oil disposal etc) as well.
Good advice. (y) Joe also tuned our R so it has some decent giddy up. Would be great if it kicked in sooner though. I'll have to do some research for parts numbers and such. Since SSRs are an unknown to so many parts suppliers, it's tough to figure these kinds of things out sometimes. I might tap on Mike's shoulder once he gets back (and comes up for air).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Good advice. (y) Joe also tuned our R so it has some decent giddy up. Would be great if it kicked in sooner though. I'll have to do some research for parts numbers and such. Since SSRs are an unknown to so many parts suppliers, it's tough to figure these kinds of things out sometimes. I might tap on Mike's shoulder once he gets back (and comes up for air).

Thanks again!
In my experience, the 4:10's double the performance boost of the pro tune. Just getting the power to the ground quicker makes a huge difference. Chevy should have done this from the start. It could have changed the initial perception of the SSR.

·
Premium Member
5,341 Posts
I think it would have taken more than a gear change to 4:10, maybe the 6.0 from the get could have done it along with a 6sp.This has been discussed and written about many times.
As far as 4:10 gears doubling the performance of a good tune, not what I have experienced with a Joe D tune and 4:10s, better but not double.

·
Trygodfirst
2006 FPR SSR PAC BLUE AUTOMATIC -aka- Ole Blue
1,521 Posts
May I ask if anyone has done the 4.10 upgrade on an 06 automatic? I thought I’d heard it’s a nightmare for getting the cpu set up correctly for engine timing and trans shifting???
@Mike in AZ input
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
May I ask if anyone has done the 4.10 upgrade on an 06 automatic? I thought I’d heard it’s a nightmare for getting the cpu set up correctly for engine timing and trans shifting???
@Mike in AZ input
Thanks in advance
Several 6.0 owners have done the upgrade. The only issue I've heard is speedo adjustment. I've heard nothing about engine timing or trans shifting.

241 - 251 of 251 Posts