Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This maybe a silly question, but, how much space if any should be between the rear cross member and the gas tank? Mine is rubbing the tank, with a slight bend in it. I've never seen the under side of another SSR so I have nothing to compare it to. THANKS!

·
Registered
259 Posts
On the one I removed from my SSR (replaced with Mike's beefy one from Simple Engineering!!) I noticed it had a slight rub as well where the original had been in contact with the gas tank...pisspoor design.

Do yourself a favor and replace :smash with the Simple Engineering one (or find a crossmember from an old Trailblazer)......really stiffens up the frame and improves the ride noticeably.

Bob
:blur:

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,997 Posts
Two noteworthy things to share......

1) The gas tank is hard mounted to the driver's side frame of the SSR. The crossmember that passes under the tank is also mounted to the driver's side frame....... The two parts "should" move together in unison. If your crossmember is touching the tank, it should not be of much concern. I have gotten feedback from a few customers that have had the tank touching either the OEM crossmember or mine..... It is a small percentage (less than 10%) of the fleet that has this and it does not seem to have caused any problems to date. I'm not worried about it.

2) If you are going to look for a 4-bolt Trailblazer crossmember, you will need to focus on finding one for a Trailblazer EXT or the stretch version of the Envoy. Only the LONG Trailblazer frame had the 4-bolt crossmember. ALL short frame Trailblazer/Envoy/Ascender/Reineer/Bravada platforms (yes....including the TBSS) only have TWO holes in the frame, not four. ALL short wheelbase platforms have a two bolt crossmember.
The SSR is an unusual duck here...... It was created from the Trailblazer EXT because the EXT had already certified the aluminum V8 in the chassis. The shortening of the EXT chassis for the SSR had the four threaded fasteners already in the frame and GM chose to leave them in.... Cheaper to leave them in than to change the drawings.....

Good luck finding a good used TB EXT 4-bolt crossmember. They are hard to come by.......

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lots of good information, thanks Mike! For now I'll keep the OEM in place but eventually replace it with yours.
All the goodies I've got from you have been first rate, I'm sure the crossmember you have is as well.........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts