Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 SSR automatic-
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed the LST struts from SE-----all I can say is WOW! 20 minutes to install !!! This deck lid now POPS up to the full opening position. With no hand, no fingers, and no finger nails!!! What a difference. If you have not done this upgrade------you should.
Steve

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,855 Posts
Amen to that remark, easy open, 2 hands cloze🖐🤚🦍💪
Yeah….. We (LST and Simple Engineering) spent a lot of time trying to find just the right pressure for the struts that would pop it open reliably down to about 50 degrees, but not be so strong that it was too hard to close above 100 degrees. Lots of variables, most that we can’t control……. We settled in on the current ”standard” pressure about 6 years ago….

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
I'm curious,
I recently worked on a friends SSR and he asked me why his tonneau's front drivers side is lifting up. I never met this R before so I don't know what it looked like before. But he installed these same struts and the the drivers side front corner is lifting about 1/4 of an inch too high. Can I lower the hinge to compensate? And I have heard some struts are directional as the reservoir should be at the bottom or the top. True?
Mike please step in here. Thanks

·
Registered
'04 pearl yellow with ghost flames
49 Posts
Just installed the LST struts from SE-----all I can say is WOW! 20 minutes to install !!! This deck lid now POPS up to the full opening position. With no hand, no fingers, and no finger nails!!! What a difference. If you have not done this upgrade------you should.
Steve
I just did mine the other day. Huge difference

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,363 Posts
I'm curious,
And I have heard some struts are directional as the reservoir should be at the bottom or the top. True?
TRUE . Usually, if the forward edge of the bed cover is raise up it is because something in the bed is in the way.
Cylinder should be attached to the bed cover and shaft should be attached to the body. Hope this helps.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,855 Posts
I'm curious,
I recently worked on a friends SSR and he asked me why his tonneau's front drivers side is lifting up. I never met this R before so I don't know what it looked like before. But he installed these same struts and the the drivers side front corner is lifting about 1/4 of an inch too high. Can I lower the hinge to compensate? And I have heard some struts are directional as the reservoir should be at the bottom or the top. True?
Body at the top, shaft at the bottom.

Are those struts from me????? Or what brand are they?

I’ll bet that the hinge is not setting onto the adjustable stop on that side. The strut is probably putting enough pressure on the hinge to keep it from settling in place properly.

What is the pressure spec on the struts installed? Anything over 350N (350 Newtons pressure) will tend to lift the front corners when closed. You can always swap struts, left to right, and see if the problem follows the strut or stays with the hinge.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Body at the top, shaft at the bottom.

Are those struts from me????? Or what brand are they?

I’ll bet that the hinge is not setting onto the adjustable stop on that side. The strut is probably putting enough pressure on the hinge to keep it from settling in place properly.

What is the pressure spec on the struts installed? Anything over 350N (350 Newtons pressure) will tend to lift the front corners when closed. You can always swap struts, left to right, and see if the problem follows the strut or stays with the hinge.
Mike,
William says he bought them from you. Again I'm just the middle man. His bed of the R was so full of his stuff I couldn't lay in the bed to open/close to examine what was happening. I asked him when he returns to finish the work that he empty the bed before coming. Thanks

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,855 Posts
Mike,
William says he bought them from you. Again I'm just the middle man. His bed of the R was so full of his stuff I couldn't lay in the bed to open/close to examine what was happening. I asked him when he returns to finish the work that he empty the bed before coming. Thanks
If the corner is still lifted when he returns, try pushing down on the side that is sticking up. If it doesn't push down easily, crawl into the bed with the lid closed and inspect the rubber "stops" on the hinge that sets the cover height on each side. It may need to be adjusted down.
If it does push down, swap the struts left-to-right and see if the problem follows. If the problem follows, please write down the part number that is on the struts (check both) and give me a call....... 480-225-2123.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts