Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the rear deck supposed to raise up when it is released? Mine just pops open, then you have to lift it up. It stays up once it ts lifted. Is the way it is supposed to work?

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Howard said:
Is the rear deck supposed to raise up when it is released? Mine just pops open, then you have to lift it up. It stays up once it ts lifted. Is the way it is supposed to work?
Howard, unfortunately, your operation is typical. Some report that theirs pops all the way up, but if you have the carpeted bed option, the addititional weight seems to make a big difference. Also some report that it is related to the outside temprature, although I haven't noticed a difference. There have been several threads where some have replaced the stock struts with stronger one's , if you are interested, do a search for them. I have elected to just live with it, it hasn't been a big deal. Good Luck!

·
Registered
189 Posts
The 04 not the 05

The 04 never opened properly and regardless of temps needed a helping hand. The 05 has worked first time and every time since the day it was delivered!

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
I have an 05, and it is effected by the temperatures. I would also suggest that your wife with her long nails, be careful not to tear up the rubber gasket going around the edges. Just tell her to use those evil claws on you. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Howard said:
My 05 would release then lift about one inch. With a slight push it raises all the way up. I was told from the service tech that it can be adjusted but didn't ask how. He also confirmed that the carpeted lining might keep the lid from fully opening (which I don't have).

·
Registered
893 Posts
Fly open

Without my spoiler.....it always "Flew Open"........which could sometimes be bad.......If in a parking lot......lock truck and walk away.....put keys in pocket......and accidently touch the lid button........bad.........look around and there would be Baby with her lid up........ :banghead...... So would have to go back and put it back down.......After I installed my new spoiler......no more problem.......it would release but not pop up........which was great.....and I don't need long fingernails to get it up.......just touch the spoiler........ :seeya...then would stay up just fine.......

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Rear Deck Hydraulic's

Whitewolf said:
Without my spoiler.....it always "Flew Open"........which could sometimes be bad.......If in a parking lot......lock truck and walk away.....put keys in pocket......and accidently touch the lid button........bad.........look around and there would be Baby with her lid up........ :banghead...... So would have to go back and put it back down.......After I installed my new spoiler......no more problem.......it would release but not pop up........which was great.....and I don't need long fingernails to get it up.......just touch the spoiler........ :seeya...then would stay up just fine.......

Can the rear spoiler cause problems for the deck lid? I mean if it doesn’t rise up like normal after installing one. What will it do down the line to the hydraulics mechanism? Sounds to me like it may cause difficulty over time.

·
OP
8,226 Posts
posted on another thread

When my SSr was new in June of '05, the deck popped up perfectly everytime (does have carpet kit), but over a short time it stopped popping up (even while it was still warm weather) so that tells me the struts are getting tired with the added extra weight of the carpet.
Those of you that have upgraded the struts, do you have a brand/part # you could share with us?
Sure, I could have them replaced under warranty (and probably will), but in a month or so, they will get soft again.
I would love to beef them up.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hum --time can be a long time

hotrodgirl said:
Can the rear spoiler cause problems for the deck lid? I mean if it doesn’t rise up like normal after installing one. What will it do down the line to the hydraulics mechanism? Sounds to me like it may cause difficulty over time.

*****All I can tell you is mine works just fine........and if I open it now-----(At 16 degrees.......it stays up just fine and rises just fine)....What else can I say..... :flag

1 - 11 of 11 Posts