Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a pair of support struts for my rear deck. I just want the original oem style ones that fit the new style hinges. Not looking for $$$ billet or polished. The ones on it now are about 16 1/4 extended. Does anyone know how many pounds of pressure the stock ones have? I bought some on ebay and they were junk made in China and too short. O'riley's has them for the old style hinges but not for the new style for $20 each. They say that they may be able to order some but need to know how much pressure I want. I looked at some there for a different vehicle and they looked like good quality. They had 80 pounds of pressure and I could not compress them by hand. I don't want them so strong that they will be hard to close. Just so they will raise the lid and still be easy to close.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,462 Posts
I need a pair of support struts for my rear deck. I just want the original oem style ones that fit the new style hinges. Not looking for $$$ billet or polished. The ones on it now are about 16 1/4 extended. Does anyone know how many pounds of pressure the stock ones have? I bought some on ebay and they were junk made in China and too short. O'riley's has them for the old style hinges but not for the new style for $20 each. They say that they may be able to order some but need to know how much pressure I want. I looked at some there for a different vehicle and they looked like good quality. They had 80 pounds of pressure and I could not compress them by hand. I don't want them so strong that they will be hard to close. Just so they will raise the lid and still be easy to close.
I suggest you contact [email protected] and have a chat with him about what is available.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,109 Posts
You have two options.....

Option 1: If you want to put exactly the same ones in that were originally on the newer-style hinges that you have, you will need to order a set of custom struts that have 285 Newtons of pressure. Be sure to get the correct size ends... they are two different sizes. Be sure of your warranty period.

Option 2: Order a set of these - - - https://shop.simple-engineering.com/product.sc?productId=66&categoryId=8 They have a 5-year/50,000 mile warranty.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,355 Posts
I have the LST struts that Mike sells everywhere - hood, trunk and roof.

Nothing better, and you can be sure they will work.

Reactions: sillypuddy

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I ordered a new set today from liftsupport.com They will be here next week and I'll post when I get them installed.

·
Premium Member
9,355 Posts
Thanks for the help. I ordered a new set today from liftsupport.com They will be here next week and I'll post when I get them installed.
So after all the advice, you still went with an unknown. I hope you saved a bunch to compensate for the potential problems you could have avoided by dealing with a Fanatic.:banghead:banghead

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,496 Posts
Let us know---Kathy's '04 could use some. I have Mike's on mine and she can't reach high enough to grab the cover, plus they are too stiff to pull it down!!!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the advice on the struts from Mike but as I originally posted I don't want to spend a lot on these since I don't show my truck and hardly ever even open the rear hatch. I have bought several of Mike's products and they are all top notch but as a retiree I am on a limited income. I have been a professional bodyman since the 70's so I know how to make things work. The ones I ordered seem to be high quality and I was able to get a custom length and pressure to make it open a little higher and stronger. They are a lot less money and if I'm not happy with them I can return them. These struts are used on just about every vehicle out there so it's just a matter of doing research to find the right ones. That's why I came to the forum first to see if anyone else had an alternative source before I did a search. I would love to have the ones Mike sells since I know everything he sells is correct and high quality but at $185 they are out of my price range. If these new ones work I will post a part number in case anyone else is interested.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,109 Posts
Small Correction

I appreciate the advice on the struts from Mike but as I originally posted I don't want to spend a lot on these since I don't show my truck and hardly ever even open the rear hatch. I have bought several of Mike's products and they are all top notch but as a retiree I am on a limited income. I have been a professional bodyman since the 70's so I know how to make things work. The ones I ordered seem to be high quality and I was able to get a custom length and pressure to make it open a little higher and stronger. They are a lot less money and if I'm not happy with them I can return them. These struts are used on just about every vehicle out there so it's just a matter of doing research to find the right ones. That's why I came to the forum first to see if anyone else had an alternative source before I did a search. I would love to have the ones Mike sells since I know everything he sells is correct and high quality but at $185 they are out of my price range. If these new ones work I will post a part number in case anyone else is interested.
The $185 price is for a complete HOOD strut kit on the 2003-2004. This includes the heavy duty stainless fender mounting brackets, stainless hood brackets and all mounting hardware. The deck lid struts are $120....
Pressures and lengths of the LST deck lid struts are optimized for consistently lifting the lid and opening it as large as possible, without letting rain into the cargo area.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I got the new support struts on and they are good quality and fit perfectly. The lid lifts and closes like it should. Specs are 10.25"compressed and 17.0" extended with 70 pounds pressure. I recommend these if you are looking for OEM type struts. The company is Lift Supports Depot and the part # is SE170P70N10S. They are about $17 each plus shipping. I got them in 3 days. These are just what I was looking for but if you want the custom ones I would definitely buy the ones Mike sells.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,496 Posts
Thanks, I will probable get these for Kathy's '04---------Because she can't handle/muscle the other ones.

Nick

·
Registered
2004 SSR Smokin Asphalt
34 Posts
Rear Deck Supports

Understand the purpose of the shock support in raising, holding the deck in open position. My question is the initial 'pop' when releasing the deck lid. My deck only 'pops' barely enough to get finger tips to grab and raise. Is this caused by the shocks or is there another potential problem?
Appreciate your experience and knowledge.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Understand the purpose of the shock support in raising, holding the deck in open position. My question is the initial 'pop' when releasing the deck lid. My deck only 'pops' barely enough to get finger tips to grab and raise. Is this caused by the shocks or is there another potential problem?
Yes, it sounds like your rear deck struts are bad. New ones will pop it open to full height. Simple Engineering has them available or as Double Trouble has posted he has found another source for more of an OEM style that don't appear to raise the deck lid as far. I appreciate the extra height provided by Simple Engineerings.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,933 Posts
Your "understanding" is pretty much correct. The Original Intent was to have the lid pop up about an inch high. If you have to Dig It Out to get your fingers under the lid, then, your struts need replaced. The LST Struts have been re-engineered with more seals/gas pressure to lift, even with a rear wing attached. Yes, that means more Oomph to Close the lid. If you're interested in having a strap that attaches to the lid to aid in pulling down and closing it, (good for us shorter folks) I can check around for you. They are available, as I saw a couple at the Damn Dam Run a few weeks ago.... You can PM me if interested..... Fuji

Reactions: Putz

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The ones I installed lift the lid all the way open ( actually about an inch higher than stock) and closes easily with one hand. When you hit the hatch release button on your remote it will slowly raise the lid to full open. No need to lift it by hand. Also remember to close the lid before you close the tailgate so it will seal properly. I do have the carpeted lid liner on mine which makes it a little heavier so it needs a little higher pressure to raise it. These struts have 70 pounds of pressure and the stocks ones were only 60.

·
Registered
2004 SSR Smokin Asphalt
34 Posts
Thanks for your replies to my post! As always the group comes through with good advice. New Struts are on now my trucks 'bucket list'.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I just tried to install the struts that you said fit.
The lid will not close all the way as it looks like they are too long...
I got them from the same place Lift Supports Depot same part number as you .
Am I doing something wrong?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,109 Posts
I just tried to install the struts that you said fit.
The lid will not close all the way as it looks like they are too long...
I got them from the same place Lift Supports Depot same part number as you .
Am I doing something wrong?
No, you didn't do anything wrong.... except that you must have installed the long struts on the hinges that are supposed to have the shorter ones. You are lucky that you didn't try to force it closed...... that would have resulted in permanently bending the cover.

You need to order the correct struts that go with your hinges.

Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts