Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2004 SSR: Slingshot Yellow
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my rear window defroster is not working and found that the copper traces near the wiring connection points have failed to an open state. The open points are readily visible and verified by continuity check with ohmmeter. I could understand failure point(s) at random locations but the multiple open points are at the supply cable connection points suggesting some contributor to failure.

Just wondering if anyone has tried to repair such via jumper or such. Very wary of applying heat enough to melt solder to a small section of the window due to fear of glass stress and failure.

· Super Road Rocket Pilot
7,046 Posts
No no no, do not try to heat it up or jump it with a solder joint. They make defroster grid repair kits that you paint on to repair grid cracks. There are a few different repair kits out there. Your local auto parts store probably has some but here are some links and information. Basically just metalized paint.
Frost Fighter 2100 Defroster Grid Repair Kits
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-09117-Complete-Window-Defogger/dp/B000ALBZJY?th=1

Helpful Links
ABS, Fusebox, Speedo, etc Repair
Fanatic Pinmap
Technical Resources - Quick searchable help

· Registered
2004 SSR: Slingshot Yellow
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No no no, do not try to heat it up or jump it with a solder joint. They make defroster grid repair kits that you paint on to repair grid cracks. There are a few different repair kits out there. Your local auto parts store probably has some but here are some links and information. Basically just metalized paint.
Frost Fighter 2100 Defroster Grid Repair Kits
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-09117-Complete-Window-Defogger/dp/B000ALBZJY?th=1

Helpful Links
ABS, Fusebox, Speedo, etc Repair
Fanatic Pinmap
Technical Resources - Quick searchable help
THANKS!!!!!

· Premium Member
2,589 Posts
My rear defroster has not worked for the last 15 years. Of course I avoid places where there is a possibility of needing a rear defroster. Next question, how do you turn on the rear defroster in case I ever need it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts