Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
13,703 Posts
The recommended change is Automatic 4:10 (I have 4:10 for yrs), 4:56 is what I would do for 6 speed manual because they have TWO extra gears.

Dicktator

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,075 Posts
The automatic has a different rear end than the manual transmissions but they all ran the same gear ratio.

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,390 Posts
Can understand swapping the gears to 456 for manual tranny what but are the benefits for swapping the automatics from 373 to 410.........and if just running the 373 become a problem down the road

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Can understand swapping the gears to 456 for manual tranny what but are the benefits for swapping the automatics from 373 to 410.........and if just running the 373 become a problem down the road
456 are for pulling trees and leaving black marks on the pavement. 410's are a nice upgrade that won't have your engine screaming at you going down the highway at 80 mph.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I have 430's in my 06 auto, great acceleration and purring around 2400 rpms @ 70 mph on cruise control.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A friend of mine is offered two center parts from ssr, one came from a 2005 with manual trans and the other one from a 2006 aut. But he dont know the ratios thats why i ask what size of ratios they bring from factory so???

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
876 Posts
A friend of mine is offered two center parts from ssr, one came from a 2005 with manual trans and the other one from a 2006 aut. But he dont know the ratios thats why i ask what size of ratios they bring from factory so???
Exactly what do you mean by "center parts"? Neither of these differentials has a removeable 'pumpkin' center section like an old Ford or pre '64 GM car/truck. The diff is complete from axle flange to axle flange, though the brake parts may be removed. Even though they both share ratios and will mount into any SSR, these are completely different animals. The auto is a small ring gear Torsen equipped unit, 10 cover bolts, the manual is an Eaton I think clutch actuated unit that is much beefier and heavier with a larger ring gear and a 14 bolt cover. The only thing I can think of as "center parts" would be if someone has taken the internals out of the differential housing and is basically selling the ring and pinion and possibly the carrier assembly. If that is the case these parts are not worth much in the 3.73 ratio.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,075 Posts
And if they are just the carrier and not the pinion gear, they will be of no value for the gear sets.

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
To directly answer the question. Even thought the transmissions and rear ends were different, they were both3.73 in the back. If you replace with new, I doubt that there is a market for the old internal parts.

Dave

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,497 Posts
My personal preference for the six speed trucks is 4.10. This will still have a meaningful first gear for takeoff. It also provides a second gear loafing through a parking lot without lugging. A full throttle takeoff from a stoplight will have you shifting gears about the middle of the intersection. I love it. Highway cruise in sixth gear gives you almost exactly the same engine rpm as 5th gear with 3.73s.

The 4.10 ratio is excellent for the 03-04 automatics. That is a 10% (math doesn’t lie) increase in rear wheel torque for the same engine output….. Highway engine rpm doesn’t suffer much. It is only a 10% increase in rpm.

The 05-06 automatics can get the same benefit as the 03-04, but it has never been on my radar screen because of the exhaust drone that seems to be resident in the 05-06 when cruising at 2700 rpm. I had 4.10 gears in my SSR after I put the TBSS axle in…… but yanked them out and went to 3.73 when I discovered that the 2700 rpm drone was happening at about 85 mph. Long distance driving is not as much fun with an exhaust drone bugging you.

My two cents worth of personal opinion…….

Mike

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
13,703 Posts
Automatic Rear Axle Aluminum -10 bolt. 6 speed manual Rear Axle - Steel 14 bolt (Trailblazer).

·
Trygodfirst
2006 FPR ROTM WINNER SSR PAC BLUE AUTOMATIC -aka- Ole Blue
1,783 Posts
My personal preference for the six speed trucks is 4.10. This will still have a meaningful first gear for takeoff. It also provides a second gear loafing through a parking lot without lugging. A full throttle takeoff from a stoplight will have you shifting gears about the middle of the intersection. I love it. Highway cruise in sixth gear gives you almost exactly the same engine rpm as 5th gear with 3.73s.

The 4.10 ratio is excellent for the 03-04 automatics. That is a 10% (math doesn’t lie) increase in rear wheel torque for the same engine output….. Highway engine rpm doesn’t suffer much. It is only a 10% increase in rpm.

The 05-06 automatics can get the same benefit as the 03-04, but it has never been on my radar screen because of the exhaust drone that seems to be resident in the 05-06 when cruising at 2700 rpm. I had 4.10 gears in my SSR after I put the TBSS axle in…… but yanked them out and went to 3.73 when I discovered that the 2700 rpm drone was happening at about 85 mph. Long distance driving is not as much fun with an exhaust drone bugging you.

My two cents worth of personal opinion…….

Mike
Other than drone
What challenges does an 06 owner face in upgrading to a 4:10. How difficult/ involved is it with respect to reprogramming the cpu to get correct shift points / speedometer reading etc
Thanks Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,497 Posts
Other than drone
What challenges does an 06 owner face in upgrading to a 4:10. How difficult/ involved is it with respect to reprogramming the cpu to get correct shift points / speedometer reading etc
Thanks Mike
Shift points are based on RPM and load, not speed.
Speedometer reading is a challenge for programming.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts