Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had someone ask me what is the purpose of the vertical panels mounted to the front of each of the rear fenders, and I had no answer, does somebody know? Thanks! :purple:

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,013 Posts
I had someone ask me what is the purpose of the vertical panels mounted to the front of each of the rear fenders, and I had no answer, does somebody know? Thanks! :purple:
They are protectors for the fenders. They take the beating from the road debris, vs. the actual fender.

- Robert
:silver:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my first thought, but it doesn't seem to make sense. After 30K miles, they don't show any debris damage, so why would the fender? Plastic vs. metal?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point! I do have the running boards. Thanks for the input! :smile2:

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,805 Posts
My guess is it would depend on the roads you primarily travel on and the speeds of the vehicle on those roads. Running boards do help in reducing the impact of stone, sand and whatever else that comes in contact with the paint.

Dave

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HAH! Speed? As fast as I can without getting caught.
With safety in mind, of course.:grin2:

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,400 Posts
Maybe someone who has removed them will chime in here. Even with running boards, mine have taken quite a beating and have been refurbished once and are beginning to look they could use it again. Approaching 250,000 miles.

Reactions: ABLUR05

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
The stone guards do make a difference even with running boards. I have 50K miles on my truck and the guards were lightly pitted. Glad it didn't happen to the painted fenders. I took mine off and wrapped them with carbon fiber vehicle wrap film. It's a different look and they should be good to go for another 50K miles. Of course, some choose to use mud flaps which can help even more.

Attachments

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
we've had boards and flaps on since almost day one. it seems that most of the damage does Not come from your own truck. the mirrors take more of a beating than the rear fenders, but the hood shows the most. i'd say that most of the debris that hits us are thrown by other vehicles going in both directions as well as what Mother Nature throws at us. the first '03 i ever saw, didn't have them. they earn their keep....

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,920 Posts
I replaced mine, found some OEM painted ones online very reasonable a while back, I scuffed them up and sprayed three coats of 2K clear for extra protection then added a strip of XPel film. My passenger side was really beat up, driver side not so bad after 54000mi. with running boards.
Ill strip and refinish the ones I removed for future if needed.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
I think the truck looks better without them and what difference does it make if the shields or the fender has to be touched up. Then I remembered, plastic doesn't rust waiting for me to touch up the paint. duh. :blush-anim-cl:

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
I notice you have untucked running boards and mudflaps, do you travel roads with a lot of loose stone or sand?

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I notice you have untucked running boards and mudflaps, do you travel roads with a lot of loose stone or sand?
Good eyes. I never drive on gravel roads. I have resisted tucking the running boards hoping they would help protect the rear fenders. They haven’t . I finally quit procrastinating and added the mud flaps. Only time will tell if they do the trick.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of damage for 6 grand. I have 90 grand and they were repainted twice, but maybe I'm just more tolerant of wear and tear with a daily driver. OK, I'm a slob. :glol

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,400 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of damage for 6 grand. I have 90 grand and they were repainted twice, but maybe I'm just more tolerant of wear and tear with a daily driver. OK, I'm a slob. :glol
Sometimes I think I resemble that remark, but only sometimes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts