Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me why the design calls for the, prior to closing the top rear cargo hatch, open the tailgate?
It seems like a poor design. also creates a possible finger hazard.
Am I reading the manual incorrectly on this?
:banghead

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

I believe it is to get the weather seal to lap in order so we have no leaks. (like shingles on a roof) And force to close a air tight box is easyer from the tail gate than the lid.. I like our tail gate the way it is ... much better than haveing a handle on the out side. This is just my guess.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had mine since July 14th / 2905 miles total.
And Loving It! This is the car I used to draw pictures of while in Jr high and High school. someone got my design out of the trash back in 1969, and held onto it, untill they built this at GM.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Tailgate Latch LId etc.

Because it is near airtight. To change it you would have to vent the area then the are could be effected by outside elements. Water dirt etc. Not good on the nice carpets and wood strips or contents. Dont want to get my golf clubs wet.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose it seems that the method to close it all could have been designed a little better.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
A sophisticated venting system would be needed to allow the bed cover to close with the tailgate closed. We did not have any real good ideas on how to do this and other experience has shown that these vents can leak, especially dust. Also, the bed cover is 4 feet in the air and it is hard to have leverage on closing if there is any resistance. As best as I recall, there is 16 feet of seal around the bed cover and this is a lot of seal to compress when closing. Instead we released the bed cover label, which I saw still attached to some vehicles at Homecoming. It is OK to remove that after you own the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
freezer said:
A sophisticated venting system would be needed to allow the bed cover to close with the tailgate closed. We did not have any real good ideas on how to do this and other experience has shown that these vents can leak, especially dust. Also, the bed cover is 4 feet in the air and it is hard to have leverage on closing if there is any resistance. As best as I recall, there is 16 feet of seal around the bed cover and this is a lot of seal to compress when closing. Instead we released the bed cover label, which I saw still attached to some vehicles at Homecoming. It is OK to remove that after you own the vehicle.
Why not VENT the cargo area into the convertible top compartment? It's waterproof. Then filtered in to the cab area if needed......??????

·
549 Posts
The top compartment is not waterproof and it does not have vents to the passenger compartment.

·
549 Posts
I forgot, but there are vents from the roof compartment to inside the rear quarter. This is for shutting the door and venting the heating and air conditioning. These only work when the roof is up. I guess we could have put vents between the bed and the roof compartments, but it would be a torturous path for venting the bed cover and I do not know if we could have made them big enough.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It seems odd at first, but no big deal once you get used to it.

I've had my SSR for about 6 weeks / 1,200 miles, and the bed cover / tailgate closure two-step is second nature now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts