Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil leak!

I am glad you posted this! I live in MN, so my baby is on jacks sleeping for the winter and the other day I looked underneath it and there it was.........oil! I only have 2500 miles on mine. Have you had it to the dealer?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm calling them tomorrow I was changeing the driveshaft to the one that was offerd on the group buy through Dennis. I had the dive shaft changed once under the warranty at the dealership but still had the vibration, my understanding is the dive shaft that comes with the vehicle can cause this problem.
The new drive shaft from Dennis solved the problem but not before my car developed a leak at the rear main seal. Hopefuly they will warranty the problem but one never knows.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Joe... just had mine replaced

I posted pictures of the leak about 4 weeks ago... just had it fixed under warranty... they replaced the rear main seal, and oil pan gasket as well since they had to drop the oil pan to replace the seal. Have 25,000 miles on mine now... an 04 beast that I've had for 15 months. There was no hassle with replacing the seal as they could clearly see it dripping.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rear main seal leaking

went to the dealer yesterday told them what the problem was, the dealership put dye in the motor(according to them this is what they had to do) kept it all day to verify it was leaking even though you could see
the oil dripping between the bell houseing and the rear of the engine.
Before I went to the dealer I told them that I saw the leak when I was installing the headers from Dynatech. The service manager said no problem. Well they called me after 8 hours of checking and advised that it was too big a job to remove the headers since they couldn't get to the rear seal on the engine without takeing the headers off intirely. And if they did the job it would take two weeks and they couldn't be responsible for the damage they probably would do to the headers and would have to charge me for the
labor involved in fact they should void the warranty on the power train because of Dennis's drive shaft. They also said by the way there is a TSB on the leak(so why the check that took all day?)
And the ultimate insult was the hood prop broke and fell on the service manager they have to order the part. I have to go in this morning and see what other damage they did.
I should have know better, I told them to leave it alone and I'll take it to my mechanic and we will fix it there going to give me the $20.00 part and the tool . I know it's a buch of bull**** they are feeding me but they do more damage to the car and it's not worth it. The funny thing is the original exhaust is harder to get off than the headers.
Oh well have to stop ranting and try to enjoy life need the car to go for a ride.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Joe, this does not ring true...

I don't understand why they have to take the headers off. When they replaced the rear main seal on mine a few weeks ago, it took one day (after receipt of the part of course, and ordering and getting the part took a day), they just dropped the oil pan and drive shaft and replaced the rear main seal. They did not do any kind of dye test either. I just showed them the leak and they fixed it. I don't have headers yet... the beast is stock, but unless the headers are more restrictive and wrap down around the block more, I don't see why they insist they can't get the seal replaced. I'd get a second opinion if that is feasible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Main seal leak ?

Just got my SSR out of storage and noticed a leak on the plastic underneath. Looked underneath and see bolts are wet with oil and all around bell housing where it mounts to motor. I have 7000 miles on mine and have not taken it to dealer yet. Need to get full coverage back on and get it to them. I was afraid it might be the rear main. Sorry to hear others have the problem but glad to see it is repairable just hope I don't have problems with the dealer like the one person.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
cliff said:
Just got my SSR out of storage and noticed a leak on the plastic underneath. Looked underneath and see bolts are wet with oil and all around bell housing where it mounts to motor. I have 7000 miles on mine and have not taken it to dealer yet. Need to get full coverage back on and get it to them. I was afraid it might be the rear main. Sorry to hear others have the problem but glad to see it is repairable just hope I don't have problems with the dealer like the one person.
When you go to your dealer tell to check bulletin 05-06-01-034a it covers oil leaks from the rear cover gasket

·
Registered
30 Posts
engine oil leak

Just got the SSR back from the dealer. They did a dye test to locate the leak and said it was the oil pan gasket. But noticed on the invoice that they torqued the main cap side bolts. Why do you think they needed to torque the main cap side bolts if they say it was the oil pan gasket? I tried to tell them about bulletins but my service guy would not listen. Told me the techs would find it. Asked him over the phone to hang on to gasket so I could look at it. He told me they don't let customers look at the parts. I had to laugh.I guess he has never had work done on his car and asked for the parts that got replaced. It is a law that they have to give you the parts if you request them. With warranty stuff I am sure they have to send them to manufacturer. I have never had a dealer deny me a look at the old parts. Also asked to talk to the tech and he told me that was not possible also. He changed his mind by the next time I spoke with him again. This was after he had mentioned I would be getting a survey in the mail and would I fill it out all completely satisfied. I told him maby he ought to wait till I see how the work goes on the truck first.
Also had them check drive shaft clink. They went ahead and ordered a new shaft as they were aware of the bulletins on them.
They looked at my sliding drawer on driver side the little coin holder or whatever it is. They lubed it up and now it is worse. It catches now when you push it back in which it never did before.
Also had them look above muffler for melting plastic as I have found black gobs of melted plastic on muffler. I think it is one of those plugs they put in the body. All they found was black water coming out of the weep hole. Why black water and what is the weep hole for? Where does this weep hole go to?

·
Registered
380 Posts
wingrider said:
When you go to your dealer tell to check bulletin 05-06-01-034a it covers oil leaks from the rear cover gasket
I have an '05 with auto, does this bulletins apply to mine as well. And how come when I go the the MY GM site and check for bulletins it say none

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
DetTweety said:
I have an '05 with auto, does this bulletins apply to mine as well. And how come when I go the the MY GM site and check for bulletins it say none
I think the mygm site only lists recalls not bulletins.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
GM engines are notorious for leaking seals. My 1996 LS1 Corvette was leaking oil like a fountain at 30K miles, It cost me nearly $1K to have all the seals replaced. I had a Buyback on a 2000 S-10 Blazer that even after replacing all the seals at 5K miles was leaking like crazy. Today GM makes CRAP its to bad. Thats why my other cars are MOPAR I have little or no troubles with there products at all. In fact my Chrysler products use less than 1/4 of a quart of oil between 3K mile oil changes try that with a GM car.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
DetTweety said:
As a GM tech I have access to more info then you do on MY GM site, and also they don't list bulletins. Yes this bulletin covers all SSRs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts