Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed the rear shocks on our SSR are different brands from side to side. I NEVER replace items like this one at a time. I ALWAYS replace both if one is bad. SO this brings me to the question of
What would you replace the pair with.......
$85-KYB....
$72-Monroe....
$80-Gabriel….
$105-Rancho 5000....
$130-Bilstein 4600

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,016 Posts
Contact MIKE at Simple Engineering in Arizona. His company has all the suspension parts.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,004 Posts
I noticed the rear shocks on our SSR are different brands from side to side. I NEVER replace items like this one at a time. I ALWAYS replace both if one is bad. SO this brings me to the question of
What would you replace the pair with.......
$85-KYB....
$72-Monroe....
$80-Gabriel….
$105-Rancho 5000....
Contact MIKE at Simple Engineering in Arizona. His company has all the suspension parts.
I agree with @Auggie Doggie, go see @Mike in AZ at http://www.simple-engineering.com/

Rear shocks make more of a difference than most people think. It really helps settle the rocking in the rear, and subsequently makes the truck and the front feel more stable. The newer Bilstein rears have different valving and are larger diameter than the OEMs. I was really surprised at the difference in the shocks, especially the rears, as I had done other things first. I’ve replaced 7-8 sets, front & rear, and pilots and co-pilots are pleased.

- Robert
:silver:

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unknown history of our R. We bought it from a Chevy Dealership in Grinnell Iowa and they wouldn't tell us anything about its past. The couple things they did tell us turned out to be not so true. I notice that looking from the rear several feet away it sits taller on the driver side than the passenger side. I have not measured it yet and haven't put it on a lift to look at anything well.
Thanks Folks
Calook1967

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,052 Posts
Unknown history of our R. We bought it from a Chevy Dealership in Grinnell Iowa and they wouldn't tell us anything about its past. The couple things they did tell us turned out to be not so true. I notice that looking from the rear several feet away it sits taller on the driver side than the passenger side. I have not measured it yet and haven't put it on a lift to look at anything well.
Thanks Folks
Calook1967
Put your truck on a concrete pad that is level "left to right" (a decent garage floor is usually very good) and carefully measure the distance from the top of the wheel well to the floor on all four points. There should not be much difference left-right. If there is, you need to compare the front difference with the back difference. If you have an issue, it will stand out. There is a certain amount compensation that the frame try to make, but a little twist is gonna make either the front or the rear stand out. Please note that the shocks will not cause a difference in fender height. It will be a spring, suspension or chassis issue.

Let us know what you find...... Your SSR family can help.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I agree with @Auggie Doggie, go see @Mike in AZ at Simple Engineering

Rear shocks make more of a difference than most people think. It really helps settle the rocking in the rear, and subsequently makes the truck and the front feel more stable. The newer Bilstein rears have different valving and are larger diameter than the OEMs. I was really surprised at the difference in the shocks, especially the rears, as I had done other things first. I’ve replaced 7-8 sets, front & rear, and pilots and co-pilots are pleased.

- Robert
He did mine, Thank you sir.

Picture of old versus new ones from Mike

Attachments

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,016 Posts
Put your truck on a concrete pad that is level "left to right" (a decent garage floor is usually very good) and carefully measure the distance from the top of the wheel well to the floor on all four points. There should not be much difference left-right. If there is, you need to compare the front difference with the back difference. If you have an issue, it will stand out. There is a certain amount compensation that the frame try to make, but a little twist is gonna make either the front or the rear stand out. Please note that the shocks will not cause a difference in fender height. It will be a spring, suspension or chassis issue.

Let us know what you find...... Your SSR family can help.

Regards,

Mike
The lean or sag could be something as simple as miss matched tire brands or sizes. That is where I would start. Then I would move to suspension and go from there. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Truck had 4 new Continentals when we bought it. The drivers side is a Bilstein, The passenger side looks to be a Monroe. I'll check it out as soon as weather permits. Its cold outside for this old man! We're planning on getting our tags this coming week. The new month is just about here. BUT they brined the roads again today!!! Neither the SSR nor the Harley will EVER see brine AKA liquid salt.
Calook1967

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,052 Posts
The drivers side is a Bilstein The passenger side looks to be a Monroe.
Calook1967
If the rear shocks are different brands, it will not make the truck ride crooked. You gotta trust me on this.

If the front has a Bilstein on one side and anything else on the other, it WILL DEFINITELY make it sit lopsided.

The front shocks have the lower spring perch as part of the shock absorber. The OEM Bilsteins have a unique spring mounting height that no other manufacturer has picked up on. ALL brands, other than Bilstein, weld their lower spring perch to the body of the shock.

ALL brands of aftermarket shocks that list the SSR and Trailblazer as using the same shock are mistaken and should be avoided, unless you want the front of your truck to ride about an inch higher.....

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,004 Posts
He did mine, Thank you sir.

Picture of old versus new ones from Mike
My pleasure. @TLM and I did 3-4ish that weekend (Friday aft, Saturday am) at @True Blue ‘s place. He and I knock them out pretty quick, all while having a good time. The reward was riding with you driving both our Rs afterward.

Our Houston group rocks, with 10-11? rides for brunch this past weekend.
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f36/houston-coastal-area-brunch-activities-planning-247957/

@Mike in AZ sets us up with well thought out solutions and advice. Mike’s stuff just works, period.

I did the shocks as the 2nd to last of my suspension upgrades and was pleasantly surprised. Several have commented on “after difference” with the front shocks and several others have commented on the rears. One of my rears had very little pressure left and my fronts were just tired. The shocks are 16-13yrs old-ish. Regardless of the miles, the seals don’t last forever.

- Robert

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rear Shocks are done with the correct Bilsteins. The old ones were junk. One was an inch shorter than the other.
But Boy did I fight getting those rear wheels off! Cleaned them up and the weather has been crappy since.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes Dave R.
I previously read about the wheels being tough to get off if they have been on a long time.
I cleaned up any corrosion with scothbrite and applied a thin coat of anti seize as well.
I thought it was a good idea. Dave's must think alike.
calook1967

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Thanks Folks
Calook1967
Missing car info
if you can use the internet you can go to carfax and sign up for free
then enter your car info and it will bring up as much history as been recorded by them accidents oil changes service ect
also if you have a gm store near you.
take in your vin.
They can print you a vin report on all that gm has done since day 1 .
and also can ck if all recalls have been done

1 - 20 of 21 Posts