Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Aqua Blur, Auto
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recognizing everyone has different tastes, there are two different spoilers pictured below. The Pac Blue spoiler is from HUAW's truck. The Slingshot spoiler is from Kaminari's website but is not a product they offer. Some thought this spoiler was an MPD design but Kaminari confirmed the mold for this spoiler was not included in those they purchased from MPD.

A mold was built based on HUAW (Larry's) spoiler but the company that built the mold does not have the manpower to build the spoiler. Larry is checking to see if the owner of the mold would be willing to sell it. Kaminari would build either spoiler if there is enough interest. For the one on the yellow truck, someone with a similar spoiler would have to let Kaminari 'borrow' their spoiler to build a mold.

Personally, I prefer the spoiler on the yellow truck but will be happy to get one like Larry's if that is what is available. As I said, Larry is checking to see if the mold for the spoiler on his truck is for sale. The only way to get the Slingshot version would be if there is enough interest in the one on the Slingshot AND someone with w similar spoiler is willing to let Kaminari borrow it long enough to build a mold.

If you have an interest in either of these spoilers, let me know and I'll try to help coordinate/communicate.

Thanks!

Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Plant
Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Plant
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
The one I have on mine was purchased from MPD and looks like the blue one ! I don't think Eric made the one on the Yellow one !

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,290 Posts
I really like the one on @James Dean truck. If someone puts in the effort to build one similar, I would be interested in it. If someone copies it, I will pass. It is one thing where they bought the molds and designs, it is another to copy someone else's work and profit off of it with out doing the design work on it. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2004 custom Paint and trim , ROTM winner #2, Previous owned R’s, 2006 #1 of 8 2 tone & 2005 silver
2,852 Posts
The favorite spoiler that Eric had made he destroyed it and why is a mystery. The yellow R with spoiler and lower bumper flare I believe was made by Doug 3G out of Detroit. Who folded many years ago. He made the flare out of carbon fiber and eventually sold the mold to Eric. Eric made his out of fiberglass.
Mine was made by Axion of Detroit locker fame. It was the worst piece of glass I ever work with. Alot of massaging to get what I wanted. Closest design I could get though that resembled the famous Blackbird R

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 Yellow
247 Posts
I talked to Pete several months ago, and he did not receive Eric's one-piece spoiler. He told me, if someone would loan him their spoiler, he would make a mold and make them for sale. I want one myself, and I know 2 other people who would, also, order them. The one that HUAW has is my preference, but the one that was on the black SSR that was Eric's last spoiler design would work fine for us. Hopefully, someone will share their spoiler with Kaminari.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,633 Posts
o_O This is getting like an old thread about --- uh, I forget now--- that made my head EXPLODE 😱😬😜😎 BUT, carry on, I'll just keep reading, waiting for the outcome --😇

Nick

·
SSR Enthusiast
2004 Chevrolet SSR #10111 Ricochet Silver
308 Posts
It would seem to me that with the amount of interest in this type of spoiler kaminari or another manufacturer would jump at the chance of making these available. Just by reading the threads, it would stand to reason that the sales would be at least 25-30 spoilers with additional orders to follow. Hard to believe that one hasn’t been produced yet. Wish I was handy with fiberglass, but in the meantime I’ll wait for one to be made. Hope it’s sooner than later. 😁😁

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,290 Posts
Several things come into play for something like a spoiler or wing. First thing is how much would the average person be willing to pay. Most likely no more than 250-300. Now to keep it in that price range, what would the material costs, labor to build it, and the cost of a mold be? I would imagine the numbers don't add up to make it profitable is why there are not any out there. I think Eric did stuff more out of his passion for the SSR then the bottom line of profits. I could be wrong on that, but logic says if they would make money someone would be making them.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
29,505 Posts
But as it has been pointed out above in this thread, Kamanari is willing to make the mold if someone will loan them the existing piece to copy.

·
Premium Member
2005 Aqua Blur, Auto
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The last I heard, Larry @HUAW was checking to see if the guy that made his spoiler would sell the mold. Looks like I’m the only one who prefers the yellow spoiler but I would be happy with either of the alternatives. Unless Larry’s guy is willing to sell the mold and/or someone is willing to loan their spoiler we’re kind of stuck. I will send pictures of @HUAW and @James Dean spoilers to Kamarini and see if he can provide a price estimate based on 10 - 20 preorders. Any/all other suggestions are welcome.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts