Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon:
I am still learning about my SSR. I have seen photos of a rear spoiler that mounts to the bed cover. Is this a GM option, or an after market offering? Also, I am contemplating some type of protective mat for the cargo area to prevent abraision to the wood veneer strips when carrying luggage or golf clubs. Does anyone have any suggestions for something like this? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As far as I know the spoiler is an aftermarket item. I purchased mine from Elite Spoilers Auto Accessories in Roanoke TX 76262. They can provide the unit color matched to your SSR. Price painted was $204.00 with free shipping in Aug. of 2016. I did not want to install myself as it required drilling in the bed cover so I paid a local body shop $100.00 for install. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Good Afternoon:
I am still learning about my SSR. I have seen photos of a rear spoiler that mounts to the bed cover. Is this a GM option, or an after market offering? Also, I am contemplating some type of protective mat for the cargo area to prevent abraision to the wood veneer strips when carrying luggage or golf clubs. Does anyone have any suggestions for something like this? Thank you for your time.
As far as bed protection goes, I cut a yoga matt into 2 pieces and laid that over the 'woodstrips' when I am hauling my golf clubs and pull cart during the summer. Also adds some protection when actually using the bed to carry groceries, plants, etc.

Plus, stops stuff from moving around in the bed when doing burnout ... oops ...

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,647 Posts
Kathy's '04 with Yoga Mat. Perfect fit with hard saddle bags.

Nick

Attachments

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,689 Posts
Spoilers were not an option on the SSR. The one I bought off eBay came color matched with free shipping for less than $100. Quality is great and color matches perfectly. Installed myself (first hole was mentally difficult) but was slick when complete. I did have to purchase longer hardware due to the double wall on the deck lid. Hope this helps. Jarod

Attachments

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,672 Posts
Spoilers were not an option on the SSR. The one I bought off eBay came color matched with free shipping for less than $100. Quality is great and color matches perfectly. Installed myself (first hole was mentally difficult) but was slick when complete. I did have to purchase longer hardware due to the double wall on the deck lid. Hope this helps. Jarod
Hey Jarod...love your wheels...are those 19" Front 20" Rear with the SSR Stager? What are they called? Who makes them?

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2,689 Posts
Hey Jarod...love your wheels...are those 19" Front 20" Rear with the SSR Stager? What are they called? Who makes them?
American Racing, but they are actually five lug. Axles and spindles had been changed to allow for the different wheels. Now back to your regularly scheduled program about spoilers.....

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,672 Posts
Jarod...sorry for the hi-jack of the thread, but I will contribute now....I have the same spoiler, it was in expensive and easy to install....measure twice...drill once! I love it, it looks OEM!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Got mine on ebay too. Color matched and ready to go. Every now and then ebay offers discounts. Got mime for $79 shipped. Keep your eyes open.

Also, please know that you DO NOT have to drill your bed cover to install one of these. I went to a large body shop and talked to the manager there. He said I was nuts to drill to install. He gave me some 3M mounting tape #06383 and said here, use this. I did. That spoiler is on there and ain't goin' nowhere! The tape is great stuff for an application like this.

wizzr

Attachments

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Got mine on ebay too. Color matched and ready to go. Every now and then ebay offers discounts. Got mime for $79 shipped. Keep your eyes open.

Also, please know that you DO NOT have to drill your bed cover to install one of these. I went to a large body shop and talked to the manager there. He said I was nuts to drill to install. He gave me some 3M mounting tape #06383 and said here, use this. I did. That spoiler is on there and ain't goin' nowhere! The tape is great stuff for an application like this.

wizzr[/quote @wizzr

To put my mind at ease as to using high tack 3M tape to attach the spoiler, how long ago did you install it and what type of speeds does it normally see?

Miles and miles of highway driving would give me a warm fuzzy, and entice me to consider a rear spoiler. Cannot see myself putting holes into the cargo cover to install a spoiler.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts

wizzr[/quote @wizzr

To put my mind at ease as to using high tack 3M tape to attach the spoiler, how long ago did you install it and what type of speeds does it normally see?

Miles and miles of highway driving would give me a warm fuzzy, and entice me to consider a rear spoiler. Cannot see myself putting holes into the cargo cover to install a spoiler.

Thanks.
Ken, I can tug and tug on the spoiler and it won't budge. I installed it in the early spring, about 6 months ago. I properly cleaned the surface as per 3M instructions, then used plenty of the tape covering the the whole bottom of the spoiler base, not just the outline of the base. Shortly after install, I made a 1500 road trip and speeds in excess 80 mph for extended times. Since then, I've put another 2500 miles on the truck. Spoiler is rock solid. Adhesive tapes have come a long way. This stuff ain't your mama's scotch double sided tape.

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
43,098 Posts

wizzr
Seeing that I have a 04-06 GTO rear spoiler, I can’t bring myself to drill the hole to mount the spoiler, this might be a good option or perhaps the spoiler from mpd!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
One of the reasons I felt comfortable using the mounting tape was because of the size of the mounting base of the spoiler I have. It has enough square inches for the tape to really adhere. Also, keep in mind that these wing type spoilers are supposed to be designed to provide additional down force and little drag. That said, driving at speed should push the wing down onto the truck and not try to rip it off. In theory anyway...

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,567 Posts
Very nice.....

Also, please know that you DO NOT have to drill your bed cover to install one of these. I went to a large body shop and talked to the manager there. He said I was nuts to drill to install. He gave me some 3M mounting tape #06383 and said here, use this. I did. That spoiler is on there and ain't goin' nowhere! The tape is great stuff for an application like this.wizzr
====================================================

wizzr, just wondering if you have any more pics of your spoiler; perhaps showing a side view and a rear view maybe?? :smile2:

Thx for the info. Your R looks really nice.

==============
David :black:
images-2.png

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,286 Posts
Right combination of your speed, ambient wind speed/direction and turbulence from an oncoming or passing semi can easily remove a spoiler not held down by mechanical fasteners. Hopefully not into some innocent partie's windshield. Spent too many years on the road and seen too many things come off of or out of vehicles, especially in states like Wonderful (Winderfull) Wyoming.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Right combination of your speed, ambient wind speed/direction and turbulence from an oncoming or passing semi can easily remove a spoiler not held down by mechanical fasteners. Hopefully not into some innocent partie's windshield. Spent too many years on the road and seen too many things come off of or out of vehicles, especially in states like Wonderful (Winderfull) Wyoming.
Maybe you're right. All I know is the body shop told me this adhesive is used in all kinds of factory accessory installations including rear wings. If it's good enough for factory installs, I figure it's good enough for me. It's been on for 6 months for almost 5K miles and in 100 degree heat in all kinds of highway driving. I'll let ya know if it decides to break free.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2,689 Posts
I'm with @river rat, mechanically fastened is best. I figure once it's on there, it's never coming off again anyway so the holes drilled don't bother me. Peace of mind with the screws. Just one man's....wait make that two men's opinions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts