Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been waiting for some one to come out with a rear spoiler that doesn't look out of place. The design that was on the SSR's at last years Indy race caught my eye. I like the three piece design that sits on top of the tailgate and 1/4 panel ends, similar to the old camaro's. But I would like it to lay down more, like on the diamondback SSR.
I talked to Eric today at MPD (who made the hoods and side skirts for our SSR's) about the possibility of producing this product. He showed an interest in doing it but would need an SSR to design and build the spoiler. Is there anyone out there that lives close to him who would be willing to let him use their car to build a prototype? And how many of us out there would be interested in this type of rear wing?
Eric is located in Valparaiso, near Gary, Indiana I would be willing but I am from the east coast and is a bit to far to go. Price would be detemined by how much interest is out there. If anyone is interested, PM me.

Link below is an example of rear spoiler.
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1575&d=1105992392

Doug :thumbs

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
I've been waiting as well for something along this style.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
here is the Diamondback revealing more(?) of the spoiler. It is carbon fiber as is the hood and non-retractable top.

P/P

Peace:flag

Attachments

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,234 Posts
Spoiler

Asc Makes A Rear Spoiler Like That But Asc Is Not Available They Also Make A Very Nice Front Spoiler But It's Not Available Either

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,205 Posts
Very Close

To what I had in mind for a rear spoiler. not big and gawdy and not up in the air. I'll have to get ahold of Eric on the project.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Diamond Back Spoiler...

.....That spoiler makes the rear deck look even longer with the lip out over the edge. Guess you need to see it in person to appreciate it.

But......

....Personally I think, while it stands up and is up in the air (like a functioning spoiler should be) "Whitewolfs" spoiler looks about right and tends to give a shorter look to the deck lid.

To each his own....that's why it's called 'custom'...izing.

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FarmTruck said:
.....That spoiler makes the rear deck look even longer with the lip out over the edge. Guess you need to see it in person to appreciate it.

But......

....Personally I think, while it stands up and is up in the air (like a functioning spoiler should be) "Whitewolfs" spoiler looks about right and tends to give a shorter look to the deck lid.

I each his own....that's why it's called 'custom'...izing.

Thats why I don't really care for the stand up spoiler, to much space between the roof and the spoiler. Looks to much like an after thought. I want something that flows with the body lines.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

The only problem I can see is if the spoiler is mounted on the lid and has shoulder pieces that are on the sides of body (ala Camaro) It will not look right when the cargo lid is off and inside side body rails are on. If the center section is mounted off backside of tailgate it would look complete even with lid off.

If back mount, I'm %90 in line for one.

Now if we can get small air duct slots cut into it with air wicks on the back side, to keep the tailgate clean we are all set.

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
REBEL said:
The only problem I can see is if the spoiler is mounted on the lid and has shoulder pieces that are on the sides of body (ala Camaro) It will not look right when the cargo lid is off and inside side body rails are on. If the center section is mounted off backside of tailgate it would look complete even with lid off.

If back mount, I'm %90 in line for one.

That is what I am looking for. :thumbs

·
Registered
893 Posts
Go for it...

Ya know this would be a boring world if everyone liked the same thing.......Ya see I build what I like ........ I didn't want some spoiler off a xyz car.......that looked like a car spoiler....I wanted something that looked like it belonged on the SSR truck.....I don't ask anyone to like what I build But some do....in fact a lot do.....and they have voted with their dollars..........But if you like something else....I say go for it.....Run down to you closest Bodymans Friend or local parts store and get you some fiberglass mat.....screen cloth.....GP resin, parting agent and moulding wax and alot of modeling clay and have at it........Lets see what you can come up with......You just might make a fortune........I do it for fun.......:lol So I say go for it......:seeya

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,234 Posts
Whitewolf said:
You know this would be a boring world if evryone liked the same thing.......Ya see I do what I like.........And don't ask anyone else to like it.........But some do....in fact a lot do.....and they have voted with their dollars..........But if you like something else....I say go for it.....Run down to you closest Bodymand Friend or local parts store and get you some fiberglass mat.....screen cloth.....GP resin parting agent and moulding wax and alot of modeling clay and have at it........Lets see what you can come up with......You just might make a fortune........I do it for fun.......:lol So I say go for it......:seeya
WOLFIE I LIKE YOUR IDEAS AND I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOU COME UP WITH NEXT .......:party

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Whitewolf do you know of any fibreglass forums …. That a guy can lurk on and pickup the how 2s.
…I agree ..... Custom is being different in the style you choose. :cheers

I know that M?k smells good :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Glass work...

REBEL said:
Whitewolf do you know of any fibreglass forums …. That a guy can lurk on and pickup the how 2s.

I started doing different kinds of glass work back in 1956.....doing deck and shave jobs ......Back then alot of people tried to use body solder and poor quality plastics......nothing of which held very well.........Then I found glass cloth....mat and GP resin.......so I started using it.....instead of welding and having to deal with warping......Guess what.....they held.......and I was off and running......worked with a great Fiberglass man in in my spare time in the 60s and 70s off and on through 2001.......doing design work and lay glass when he needed help.......He was one of the best mfgs. of glass part for the van fad.......and he holds patents on some things......And then he started producing Street Rods parts and then bodies.......Some of the best in the business.......He taught me alot......And my friend .....thats how you learn.......I don't know of any sites......sorry....:flag

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Sound like there might be a need for you to write a book to pass on your knowledge to us younger dudes. I do some surfing for a site.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Book......

REBEL said:
Sound like there might be a need for you to write a book to pass on your knowledge to us younger dudes. I do some surfing for a site.
When would I have time.......Having to much fun playing in the plastic...... Am working on a new design for the side rail.....(Boards) So they will still protect the sides......but not stick out.....to be scuffed on entry and exit of the truck......a more custom appearence of the late 50's I use to have a 40 Ford Business coup ... no running boards........I moulded in the fenders and covered the frame rails.......It all appeared to be one peice......Thats one I showed in NSCA......back then..... So am want to do that again.....on the SSR.....and I am happy to say I am getting close to getting this done.......Kind hoping I can get someone interested in producing them when I get the first set done.....( using it as a plug for the mold)......:cheers :thumbs

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
REBEL said:

I know that M?k smells good :)

www.fiberglassforum.com (which unfortunately is temporarily suspended)

small site about composites:
http://www.netcomposites.com/Forum/ShowForumGroup.aspx?ForumGroupID=10

This might be a good site:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1266

1 - 20 of 23 Posts