Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow SSR fanatics,

This is one of those self-serving, know-it-all, pimping, unsolicited promotions for a new SSR product. Those that are offended, please quit reading now and go on to the next post.

THE PROBLEM

The original StabiliSSR solves the problem of a jiggling front end and the rickety look of turning on the fog lights at night. The rear is not as noticible, but if you follow an SSR you can see some backend “shimmy” under acceleration. Actually it looks kind of good. The real problem is twofold: 1) If you look closely at the tail pipes, you’ll notice that one is “longer” than the other. It’s one of those things that you notice only if you look for it, but once it was pointed out to me, it drove me nuts. 2) If you push and release the rear plastic inner wheel well, you’ll hear the characteristic whompa-whompa-whompa sound. I don’t hear it while driving, but my son has made a habit of walking out while I’m washing the SSR, tweaking the inner wheel well behind the rear wheels and saying “nice car Dad”. Obviously a problem that requires resolution.

THE CHALLENGES

If you measure from the rear axle to the tail pipes, you’ll see that the tail pipes are dead nuts on. The problem is the positioning of the plasic rear bumper. The factory solution is a single strut that connects behind the license plate to give the rear some rigidity. I tried putting a slot in the stock strut and adjusting the postion of the rear bumper to get the tailpipes in line. It’s like pushing a rope…there isn’t enough control with a single contact point to get things in line.

What the rear StabiliSSR does is mount a frame to the existing SSR contact point and provide two control struts that can be adjusted such that you can “grab hold” of the rear bumper and align it properly. Not easy to describe, check picture #1. The idea is to provide better rear bumper stability and the control to align the rear bumper to the tail pipes. Note that the rear end was assembled at the factory “cattywhampus” and the plastic has some memory and doesn’t want to just fall in line without some prodding. On mine, I was able to get the alignment correct and then came back a few days later and did some final adjustment to get it as good as possible. I’ll probably still play with it in the summer when the heat makes things more pliable.

Once the rear bumper is in alignment, you can now use the provided side struts to lock the sides in place and provide the stability that stops(or at least greatly dampens) the movement of the inner wheel well. It also makes the entire rear bumper much more rigid. See pictures #2 and #3. I found that providing two attachment points on the rear bumper and the two side supports in the wheel well gives the entire assembly better stability and a noticable difference in rear end movement.

UNABASHED PIMPING

The rear StabiliSSR is completely invisible unless you crawl under the rear end. It uses existing attachment points, and uses the stock screws on the wheel well so that the stock appearance is completely preserved. You have to drill two new holes(template provided) and need the metric wrenches and a torx screw driver to dis-assemble and assemble the existing struts and install the new hardware. It’s about a 15-20 minute job and requires minimal mechanical skill. Just like the original StabiliSSR, anyone can drop by my house in Austin and I’ll do the install at no charge. We’ll make an SSR party out of it.

I’m pricing these at $50. If you’re interested, pls PM me on this site. I’ll put them on Ebay in the coming weeks, and as soon as I get some blackmail leverage on my younger son , I’ll get him to put up a web site for me. This is a garage shop project and I don’t make a living building these, just some quality time with my sons puttering in the garage and the opportunity to stay in touch with the local SSR kindred spirits. I’m already happy with the results on my car and want to share the ideas with others that might be simularly picky about their SSR’s.

To quote the noted Chinese automotive engineer, Wun Hung Lo, "symmetry is good".

Chris in Texas

Attachments

·
OP
8,225 Posts
not even a mention??

What, I don't even get a footnote for a partial of the design idea???:lol

You know I will buy a set, Nice job. I'll call you soon to come by for the install...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP said:
What, I don't even get a footnote for a partial of the design idea???:lol

You know I will buy a set, Nice job. I'll call you soon to come by for the install...:rolleyes:

Owen, your's is free. I took the rest of the year off, so I'm free anytime you can come by.

Chris A.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
texster68 said:
Owen, your's is free. I took the rest of the year off, so I'm free anytime you can come by.

Chris A.
I'll bring the beer...Thanks

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,610 Posts
I love the idea of this "new product"!

It would be nice if tomething was done to stabilize the inside (near the frame) rear wheel well cover. Both of my SSRs (my previous 03 and my current 05) had a problem with this plastic piece hitting the frame and causing paint to be removed from the frame. I cut a small piece off of the edge, but the entire plastic piece is less than stable.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shiftz33 said:
I love the idea of this "new product"!

It would be nice if tomething was done to stabilize the inside (near the frame) rear wheel well cover. Both of my SSRs (my previous 03 and my current 05) had a problem with this plastic piece hitting the frame and causing paint to be removed from the frame. I cut a small piece off of the edge, but the entire plastic piece is less than stable.
Shiftz33,

That's what the side struts on the rear StabiliSSR accomplish. Once the outside fender is locked in place, I used Liquid Nails on the inside of the wheel well to glue the flopping plastic piece in place. You only have it pinned on one side, so there is still some motion, but it is greatly damped and won't rattle when you tweak it.

The key is that you need the side struts in order for the entire wheel well to be stable enough that you can pin the plastic in place.

Chris A.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Wildcat....you certainly need one, whether or not you have a spoiler. The spoiler adds weight to the front and makes the vibrating condition even worse. I put mine on when I installed the spoiler. You need a lift to install these StabiliSSR's in the front.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Wow!

Thank you Texster68 for the fix for a weak plastic rear end...yes, I mean the SSRs!

The StabiliSSRs work great and actually helped realign the rear bumper while giving it added strength.

On a side note: These fixes you come up with for making our rides stronger and improved are great in the fact that you are not out for profit, (that is apparent as I feel your fixes are priced too low), but rather as a helpful tool for us that rather work on our rides ourselves rather than leave it to callous dealer repair shops and the like.

I strongly recommend to every SSR owner to consider adding the front and, now, rear StabiliSSRs to your rides for added stability and improved strength and looks.:ssr

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Well I cant make it to Austin anytime in the upcoming future, but I think it would be a fine time if you were to come to
wildcat66 said:
Jan. 28th 3:00 PM, A local Memorial SSR Gathering for BobA.
Cruisers Resturant, Frisco Texas http://www.mycruisers.com/
You could bring Wildcats "Rear StabiliSSR" and probally sell and Install more then just ones for her wittle truck.

Make a trip out of it, sell some "Rear StabiliSSR's" then write it off as a business expense.

:agree

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The first two shipped Tuesday. All orders to date will ship this weekend. I'm trying to attach a word file with the installation instructions so you can get a head start on planning for the installation.

Chris A.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
I've got my front and rear set ordered. Rave reviews from members of this forum had me convinced.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
rear stabilizer

Chris,

Ordered a set of rears on 1/9/06. They arrived today and hopefully I will get them installed over the weekend along with the front set that I have had around since waiting for the Axiom chin spoiler. Rears should not be a problem. I am the directions you sent me for the front help. I cant believe I am that brain dead when it comes to figuring out the front.

Will let you know how I make out.

Thanks,

Marc

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Front & rear Stabilizer

Chris,

You have a PM. Need to order another set for vehicle # 2. What a difference it makes when the vehicle is going down the road. Nothing shakes.

Great job.

Marc

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,610 Posts
I decided to wait until the service department installed the new rear end before installing the rear StabiliSSR.

This afternoon I installed the rear StabiliSSR on my 05 SSR. What a difference it makes!

The only issue I had was where the instructions stated I should drill a hole 4 inches from the existing bolt/hole (behind the plate bracket). When I measured the holes in the 8 inch plate (in the kit) they were 3 13/16 (center-to-center) apart instead of 4 inches. I drilled a hole 3 13/16 inches from the pre-existing hole and everything installed just fine.

I was very lucky with the alignment of the rear bumper with the exhaust tips. It was real easy to adjust the bumper cover to line up with both exhaust tips. I used the bracket (removed from behind the plate area) along the edge of the exhaust tips (vertical) and that ended up being a good alignment tool to align the top of the exhaust tips with the bumper cover.

Very cool product and plenty easy enough to install.

Thanks Chris!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts