Chevy SSR Forum banner

Rear Stone Guard

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  WOW_FCTR 
#1 · (Edited)
When I gave someone a ride last week he was looking at the side of the vehicle and noticed this...... a worn area on the passenger rear stone guard. I have done nothing to the vehicle that I can think of that could have caused this (no auto car washs, in fact you can see from the picture that I hardly get a chance to clean it, I don't park it in a garage, etc.) I have no other dents or worn marks near it. Does anyone else have this problem?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Injury...

It looks more worn than like a hit, like if I took a sanding wheel to it. From the direction of the marks it looks like it could worn down by air/water friction from driving 70mph all the time, but I would find that very hard to believe.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm at 14000 miles on mine, and except for some very tiny, almost invisible pits from rock hits, no marks whatsover on the rock guards. I drove the SSR from north Carolina to British Columbia, averaging 80+ mph on the freeways for the trip, and did hit a couple of good rainstorms. I probably got a few of the pits when I got off the freeway to take in the Smoky mountains on my way to Knoxville - I really didn't need to hit a snowsquall in early May on my first day out, but I came out of it with only one tiny chip on the hood.

I'll probably remove the stone guards if this one becomes a keeper - don't really like the looks of them.

#5 ·

Flashh,

Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking that I'll put some touch up paint on it and see if the touch up paint wears at all. That should at least tell me if it was a one time problem (hit by something) or a continuing problem.....

But now that I think about it, I did have this in the shop two weeks ago and they buffed out the rub marks on the top. I wonder if they could have accidentally damage it....

I guess that I should just bite the bullet and order another guard or should I wait for someone to remove their unwanted ones :) and give them away.

#8 ·
The color on the stone guards is under a very tough clear film. Repainting them is not an option. Removing the stone guards is OK if you do not drive the vehicle. Even the running boards do not fully protect the rear quarter from rocks or stones. You can have an expert put clear protective film on instead of the guards. We did not do that because it was too difficult at production line rate. They are designed to be replaced when they are damaged. They are not designed to be reused. Your pictures look like a buffing wheel mishap to me.

#9 ·
You might be on the right track regarding the repair - it's more likely something rubbed it to create the blemish - not likely to happen while driving. If they slipped with a high speed buffer, it could eat that vinyl fairly quickly.

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I'll decide what to do after I return from my trip to the Grand Canyon next week. (Going without the SSR). :mad

#11 ·
looking4

You are really missing out by not driving cross country in your SSR. You probably flew, but the west is really the place to put the top down and enjoy the view. I went from Michigan to Vegas twice in SSRs and took several development trips in the west with pre-production vehicles. I can advise you on senic routes if you ever make the attempt.

#12 ·
Driven

I would have made the drive except I'm going with my son and my mom. I couldn't decide which one to put in the cargo area so I bought plane tickets :)

#14 ·
Grand Canyon

I definitely would have loved to have my SSR at the Grand Canyon. The weather was great and the 4 cylinder Chevy Classic rental car just didn't do anything for me. Next time I'm putting in a rumble seat to put that 3rd passenger in :lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.